Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Replies

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,356 Member
    BettJo64 wrote: »
    Hi, ya'll :) Betty from Georgia here. 55yrs. old and fighting hard to lose a lot of weight! Been a little while since I've checked in here. Hope everyone is doing well on their own journeys to good health. Dropping a new update on myself and hoping ya'll will be happy for me because I'm super psyched and ready to keep battling this bulge every day B);)

My Starting Over Weight: 499lbs on Mar 14, 2019
    My Final Weight Goal: 150lbs
    The Next Milestone I'm Most Looking Forward To Reaching: Being under 400lbs again!!
    My Current Weight: 409lbs on July 12, 2019
    My Total Loss So Far: 90lbs in almost 4 months

WOW - please share how this is happening, & what you eat.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Maybe a bit off topic, but I've started two new things.

1) Apple Cider Vinegar tablets
    2) Samsung Health App
  • Withasmile12
    Withasmile12 Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi! Thanks for all of your inspiring stories. I’ve recently recommitted to my weight loss goals. It seems like I’ve been on one diet or another forever. I’ve had some success, but I lose and regain. So this time I’m not going on a diet. I’m going to make lifestyle changes to lose weight and improve my health. This week my first change has been to log my food and water daily. I’m keeping a close eye on sugar and salt. Next week I plan to increase fruits and veggies. Then the following week I’ll focus on adding exercise. One step at a time!
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    cory17 wrote: »
    BettJo64 wrote: »
    Hi, ya'll :) Betty from Georgia here. 55yrs. old and fighting hard to lose a lot of weight! Been a little while since I've checked in here. Hope everyone is doing well on their own journeys to good health. Dropping a new update on myself and hoping ya'll will be happy for me because I'm super psyched and ready to keep battling this bulge every day B);)

My Starting Over Weight: 499lbs on Mar 14, 2019
    My Final Weight Goal: 150lbs
    The Next Milestone I'm Most Looking Forward To Reaching: Being under 400lbs again!!
    My Current Weight: 409lbs on July 12, 2019
    My Total Loss So Far: 90lbs in almost 4 months

WOW - please share how this is happening, & what you eat.

Hey, Cory. Well, I actually am just eating smarter. While I did keto 5 years ago and lost 120lbs in one year, I have decided not to go that route this time. It all starts with weighing and measuring then honestly logging my day in great detail for accurate numbers on my macros, calories, and sodium. So many don't do a thorough log every day. It matters if you used oil, certain spices and seasonings, sauces, gravies, condiments, etc. and if you had more to drink than water. Most every single thing has calories, carbs, fats, protein, or sodium. You have to log everything in order to see your problem areas and devise a plan to live by that will clean up your eating lifestyle and give you the losses you're looking for. I've been practicing calorie deficit, higher proteins, and lowest fats. I live and breath meeting these macros percentages: 45% proteins, 30% carbs, and 25% fats. I make myself eat 3 meals a day routinely, and I very seldom eat snacks. There is no white sugar in my life anymore...actually not since 2014. I seldom eat pastas (I ate some spaghetti yesterday for the first time in probably a year or more for my hubby's birthday dinner). I look for alternatives to many higher fat or carb foods, so lots of zucchini noodles where you may see others having pasta. I tend to keep my breads to a bare minimum during my week, and almost always whole wheat bread. I don't usually fry any foods, and definitely watch the breading (if any) when I bake. I also monitor my sodium intake all day long like a hall monitor!! No way I'm letting it be in the red on my diary!! I find with eating higher proteins that I am fuller quicker and longer. This works for me. 90lbs down says it is working for me.
  • ChiefVince1801
    ChiefVince1801 Posts: 8 Member
    Count me in. I have been working on it for a while and have had successes and failures but I keep going. I need to work on organizing my time so I can work out. Peace Vince in NJ. P.S. if you want to add me as a friend please feel free.
  • FitPunkMummy
    FitPunkMummy Posts: 1 Member
    I’d like to join this group also. I turn 50 next month and I’m tired of being tired, if you know what I mean. I’m getting a treadmill and going to beef up my home gym!
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    I’d like to join this group also. I turn 50 next month and I’m tired of being tired, if you know what I mean. I’m getting a treadmill and going to beef up my home gym!

Welcome Punk Mum ~ you go get it.... as we all are trying to do.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Looks like I'm late for the party. I, like all of us, am starting ... yet again. I'm so tired of taking my "before" photos, and never following through to get an "after" photo.
    My Starting Over Weight: 242.2 07-01-19
    My Final Weight Goal: 200lbs
    The Next Milestone I'm Most Looking Forward To Reaching: Moving off my last belt hole... I REFUSE to buy a larger belt.
    My Current Weight: 229.6 07-22-19
    My Total Loss So Far: 12.6 lbs.

• radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Just checking into this thread so far I have been losing weight this year not quite as much as I would like but I’m down and I have been exercise more. Now wanting to start a habit of eating more fruits and vegetables!
  • AlbertEllenich
    AlbertEllenich Posts: 3 Member
    Yes! So many groups for younger people, but it's definiteley different for those of us over 50, especially if we didn't recognize in our younger years that it would all catch up with us! LOL.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    radmack wrote: »
    Just checking into this thread so far I have been losing weight this year not quite as much as I would like but I’m down and I have been exercise more. Now wanting to start a habit of eating more fruits and vegetables!

Well done for losing weight, I must admit I dont eat enough fruit either also trying to making it s habit to eat more.
  • kacahill320
    kacahill320 Posts: 51 Member
    I'm in ! and back again, MFP never worked for me before, I would keep posting my food and exercise for about a week then forget to. Now I have a note so as soon as I open my computer I have in big letters MY FITNESS PAL so before I do anything I post my food diary and weight. I think this will keep me on track.
  • rodneybrookshire
    rodneybrookshire Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm in,but would like to find a workout partner that would like to get to the gym for several hours and to trade ideas on how to reach our goals. I'm here in Arizona
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hi, all. Lots of new folks checking in here. Please add me as a friend if you like. Always glad to share support and encouragement.
  • J_Fabulous
    J_Fabulous Posts: 63 Member
    I'm BACK! And I'm in. Let's do this thing. Everyone feel free to add me as a friend for support, motivation and accountability.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hey everyone!
    54 here , started a-new after 16 years of a-nothing. ;)

SW in APRIL 2019: 280 lbs
    CW as of today: 217 lbs
    GW: 180 lbs
  • ellenecoxcox75
    ellenecoxcox75 Posts: 37 Member
    Hi all, Ellen from Colorado, back from MIA. Needed to push back and get moving again. 40 year High School Reunion next year! yikes...Back in the saddle again...
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I just keep on going, but the weight loss isn't like it used to be.
  • osborne7453
    osborne7453 Posts: 1 Member
    Actually started last fall. I was turning 50, in bad shape, 380lbs, high blood pressure, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis. I tried many different solutions with no success. Finally went to a naturopathic doctor. She straightened me out in a few months. Just hit 275lbs, no psoriasis, normal blood pressure, no psoriatic arthritis. I feel great and I’m able to participate in life again. What a game changer. 75 more lbs to go, but with more belief in myself than ever.