Woman of a certain age ...

Options
Trying yet again to get some of this excess weight off. If you are over 60, what has worked best for you? Got myself a Fit Bit, but then promptly had back issues (not from the Fit Bit :smiley: )

relativehunter

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    I'm over 60. Log food, stay in calories, adjust monthly.
  • relativehunter
    relativehunter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hate the logging, but know that it is necessary. Thanks. :smiley:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hello Relativehunter. I'm 63. There's no magic but some of the things I found that helped are to set reasonable goals (forget 2 lbs a week unless you are very obese). Do a diet you can live with for life. All the carzy diets do is make you crazy and then you give up. Take one day at a time. It took me 2 years to get to goal. The majority of it was lost the first year but I'm now maintaining (if you don't count the 6 lbs I gained on vacation, lol). Log every day and log honestly. Weigh as much of your food as you can so you know what you are really eating. Exercise is not required but is worth doing when your back heals. Consider eventually lifting weight to maintain muscle. This was the mistake I made and I now need to build muscle which is harder. Good luck.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

I'm 61 and enjoying my MFP journey to a healthier sustainable lifestyle.

You can, too.
  • relativehunter
    relativehunter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful comments. Logging is probably the hardest thing for me to do, but I know it works. I'll check out the must-reads too for a little dose of motivation each day. Thanks and good luck to all of you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Well, you have access to this site, one of the easiest places ever to log food.

Just start. It doesn't have to be perfect, but seeing those numbers in front of me every day is the #1 best reason why I lost 70+ pounds and have kept it off for over a decade.

It's worth the five minutes per day that I spend doing it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Welcome! I'm 63, was 59-60 when I lost around 50 pounds in a bit under a year.

On the eating front, this worked for me:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/

On the activity front, there are two aspects: Daily life, and intentional exercise.

This is about the daily activity part, and how to game it in ways that will potentially help weight loss:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/

As far as intentional exercise, I was pretty active while obese, so I just kept going with more or less the same exercise levels. For those who are inactive, I'd suggest starting slowly and manageably with some enjoyable mild exercise 2-3 days a week (something that's a tiny challenge, so you feel good about accomplishing it, but not exhausted or miserable), then gradually increasing duration, intensity or frequency (if you wish) as that level of exercise gets easier. I'd note that intentional exercise is optional for weight loss . . . but it's good, in the long term, for strength, health, independence, and energy level, so worth fitting in if possible.

As a generality, reading the "Most Helpful Posts" part of each forum topic is a good thing to chip away at. (These are sometimes called "stickies", because they stick around. They're posts written by plain ol' users of MFP, and nominated for "sticky" status by other users who found them especially helpful.)

I'd start with the "Most Helpful Posts" in "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness and Diet". Here are direct links to those:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads

You can do this. No matter what others may tell you, age is no barrier. ;)

Best wishes!

@AnnPT77 with delts like yours... you are STILL one of my heroes!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful comments. Logging is probably the hardest thing for me to do, but I know it works. I'll check out the must-reads too for a little dose of motivation each day. Thanks and good luck to all of you.

Once you get into the habit, its like second nature and will take mere minutes to log