In your 60’s

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,255 Member
    Hello, I have many things in common with ya'll, I turned 65 in March, started mfp in 2016, lost 50lbs & maintained for over a year then I quit smoking & gained 10. have munchies in evening. It was easy to quit smoking because the same day I quit, I started vaping & have no desire to go back to smoking & feel so much better. I stopped going to the gym for a while because one of my dogs died on January 15th & although I have other dogs, they are older so I would walk "Grizzly" with my little one every morning then take all of them to dog park, so I grieved so much I hardly walked for a while or went to gym. I've been back to the gym & plan to keep going. I also have arthritis & tendonitis & what works great for me is making turmeric paste (or golden paste) out of turmeric. My pain is 98% gone but starts coming back if I forget to take some every day. I hate the taste so I mix it in some cashew milk. I also give the pill form to my senior dogs & makes a world of difference. I weigh everything I eat but it's still a struggle to stay on track but hoping I'll get there
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    @AnnPT77 You are always welcome anywhere on MFP.

Ladies if you don't listen to anyone else you should listen to this woman as she knows whereof she speaks.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    @AnnPT77 You are always welcome anywhere on MFP.

Ladies if you don't listen to anyone else you should listen to this woman as she knows whereof she speaks.

Aww, thanks: You're so sweet! :blush:
  • manderson27
    Morning Ladies.

How are you all doing today? Hope you are all dealing with your own struggles in a positive way and not letting anything dishearten you. Keeping going is key even if you have a wobble here and there.

I think I may have broken through my mini plateau and am heading down again.

I seem to have cracked the no smoking thing. I am not eating all the food anymore.

The biggest test of my will power is still to come. I am going to visit with my best friend in a few weeks and she smokes. It has always been a big part of our relationship, along with food, alcohol and dancing. So it is going to change the dynamic a bit if I am not constantly popping out for a ciggy with her.

I will just have to try and stay strong and not cave in, she won't pressure me or anything so it will all be down to me.

Hope you all have a positive day today :)B):)

• BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Congratulations on getting a handle on giving up the cigarettes, Manderson27. I know it's not easy, especially when you're going to be around a friend who is a smoker. Stay strong and try to find a substitute. Maybe a glass of water whenever she lights up? Think positively about all the great effects not smoking is doing for your character and health. Keep in mind, cigarettes are like potato chips - you can't have just one.

I'm going off Keto. All the fat is wrecking havoc with my Crohn's and I'm losing too much blood. Decided to go back to the high protein, low carb diet the doc had me on. To kick it off, I'm fasting all day today and then tomorrow I'm going carnivore for 5 days. Just water and meat.
  • manderson27
    Sorry you have to deal with Chron's, I don't know a lot about it but I do know it can be a *kitten*. I hope your change of diet helps bring you some relief.
  • Evamutt
    It's been a good Sunday so far. I work every Saturday & Sunday I work after church. Doing well on eating so far. We're going over our daughter's for dinner, She lives nextdoor. Grilled chicken thighs, asparagus & corn on cob. I do well untill the evening but I'm not giving up & will do my best not to snack tonight
  • manderson27
    I try to save some calories for snacks in the evening. I usually skip breakfast (Intermittent fasting) just have a coffee. I eat my first meal around 12:30 I may or may not have a snack in the afternoon then dinner around 7pm then if I am still hungry I will have something around 10pm, I don't go to bed until later I am a night owl.

If I eat first thing I tend to carry on eating and end up going over my calories. So saving breakfast calories for my late night snack works for me.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    If I snack after dinner, I always end up going overboard. Sigh, no willpower what so ever. :'(
  • manderson27
    Strong first post advertising a poker site on a fitness site. You do know it is against the rules to do that.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    I'm 62 and starting again. I'm going to WDW in Sept for 2 weeks and I need to be down 10 lbs by then.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    If I snack after dinner, I always end up going overboard. Sigh, no willpower what so ever. :'(

There's a thread that helps us break our late night snacking patterns. Search for "late night snacking". Because of this thread, I've now reached 42 days without snacking at night. Without having to log into that thread, I'd probably still be doing it, at least a little.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    edited July 2019
    I don't have "Permission" to access it.
  • Evamutt
    I have my breakfast around 11-12, I call it breakfast because of what I eat, I try to have dinner late so I won't snack at night, sometimes it works. go to bed around midnight
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    I think I'm going to follow your lead, Evamutt, and have my big meal (and calories) at night. Maybe that will help me control my snacking.
  • manderson27
    @BlancheandSmooshyface It is all about finding a way of eating that means you can stick to your calorie allowance and still enjoy your food. If this means moving your meals and snacks around that is fine there is no hard and fast rule on when you should eat what. Play around with it until you find your sweet spot.

One of the biggest mistakes a lot of people make is to set their weekly weight loss goal to high. We would all like to lose 3 or 4 lbs a week but that is just not realistic so of course we end up giving up as the loss just doesn't happen fast enough.

10.5 - 2lbs is a much more realistic goal and you get to eat a reasonable amount of food and are not starving yourself or losing out on nutrition.

Having more realistic goals and understanding that it will be a slower process than we would like is key to making changes that stick.
  • Evamutt
    I don't understand something...when I was losing at 150 lbs, mfp gave me about 1400 calories/day set at 1 lb/wk maintenance was 1777/day since I gained 10 lbs, for 1 lb/wk mfp gives me 1200/day. I set it at 1/2 lb/wk since I can't live on 1200
  • ohbeautifulqueen
    ohbeautifulqueen Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Ladies,
    Haven't heard from you in awhile and I miss it! Any updates you want to share?

Me - my weight has been up-down-up-down but only by a little bit (I weigh daily for motivation). I'm focusing on the last down because it's a new number! Yeah! Only 3 more pounds to my next mini-goal! Still logging faithfully.
  • manderson27
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I don't understand something...when I was losing at 150 lbs, mfp gave me about 1400 calories/day set at 1 lb/wk maintenance was 1777/day since I gained 10 lbs, for 1 lb/wk mfp gives me 1200/day. I set it at 1/2 lb/wk since I can't live on 1200

Did you set yourself as sedentary perhaps try lightly active and see what that gives you. If you don't have much to lose then .5 lb per week will be best.