Cat calls while working out

Options

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Agreed. There's one individual in our neighborhood who has run after and threatened and flashed women...on the one hand, he does have a cognitive delay/deficit of some kind...on the other, he actually stalked women to their houses then paced back and forth in front of their houses while..amusing himself if you get my drift.
    Fortunately he doesn't seem to like my dogs and is deterred by men. We also haven't seen him for a good bit so I am hoping he go the help he needed.

Jeez what the heck? Hopefully he's on the police' radar? You mentioned where you were earlier, so I know it isn't the same case, but an individual that fits that description just recently kidnapped a woman here. She got away unharmed after...2 or 3 days if I remember correctly...but his lawyers are using his condition as a defense...

Please keep those dogs (awesome buddies, aren't they?) with you...
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Agreed. There's one individual in our neighborhood who has run after and threatened and flashed women...on the one hand, he does have a cognitive delay/deficit of some kind...on the other, he actually stalked women to their houses then paced back and forth in front of their houses while..amusing himself if you get my drift.
    Fortunately he doesn't seem to like my dogs and is deterred by men. We also haven't seen him for a good bit so I am hoping he go the help he needed.

Jeez what the heck? Hopefully he's on the police' radar? You mentioned where you were earlier, so I know it isn't the same case, but an individual that fits that description just recently kidnapped a woman here. She got away unharmed after...2 or 3 days if I remember correctly...but his lawyers are using his condition as a defense...

He's been on the police radar for a while. But we think he lives in a group home or something and kept getting away-he didn't even live near here/our neighborhood but kept finding his way back here. No idea. He had started to walk my way once (I recognized him because of previous encounters, others catching him on video, etc)...but he saw my dogs and opted not to follow us. And they are terrific walking buddies. They look scary...but they're really marshmallows.
  • Phirrgus
    Options

He's been on the police radar for a while. But we think he lives in a group home or something and kept getting away-he didn't even live near here/our neighborhood but kept finding his way back here. No idea. He had started to walk my way once (I recognized him because of previous encounters, others catching him on video, etc)...but he saw my dogs and opted not to follow us. And they are terrific walking buddies. They look scary...but they're really marshmallows.

Looking scary is 90% of the battle lol. I wish homes like that would keep their wards locked down better. I don't want to speak ill of anyone living with a condition/illness, but I would rather lockup for them than someone getting hurt/terrorized.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is we don't know if he has any family in the area...or anyone looking out for him. A lot of the homeless in our area appear to have mental disorders or cognitive deficits of some kind but...who is helping them? It's sad. I mean...I don't want anything bad to happen to the guy but at the same time...he's not in control of his actions. He could seriously hurt someone.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    It's really sad, but where should the line be drawn? I don't know...lack of funding/resources for the impaired, lack of safety for those they might hurt, I don't have the answers.

I do encourage my daughters and their friends to learn self defense, carry a 'deterrent' of some type and so on. And then hope they never need it.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lg013 wrote: »
    trbp72 wrote: »
    Has the world gone mad?! How have we come to a position where "Swiping Left/Right" for approval or whatever the hell goes on in the world of online dating is acceptable when that is clearly based on the objectification of the still (possibly exaggerated/fake) images of the man/woman you "fancy" and yet when a real person who you could interact with on a personal level whistles at you in the street they are instantly demonised as a rapist or something?!

Given that on this particular occasion you cannot clarify whether he was being complimentary or being a jerk...perhaps it's time we stopped being such cottonwool wrapped prissies and got back into the real world where people talk to each other by moving their mouths up and down in each others company and make opinions on each other based on actual feelings gained during those interactions...instead of kneejerk/gutwrench assumptions being made.

I appreciate he may have been an asshat...but he may well not have been...all I'm saying is...no matter how you dress or what you look like...that doesn't give anyone the right to do anything...but all this hatred because society is making you think that everyone you meet is a rapist/pedophile or something of that ilk is just nonsense...most people are honest, decent, easy-going types that will help you, exchange pleasantries with you or at the very least be civil and say "hello" as a gesture of friendly acknowledgement as they pass you in the street...THIS IS NORMAL LIFE...

Being afraid of every single human being you encounter as you go through your life is what's wrong here...remember that the next time you order an UBER without a second thought...

Oh wow... Dude it has less to do with me being afraid of being attacked and more to do with feeling like a piece of meat... But thanks.

And who the eff cares if he was trying to be "complimentary"!? Is it really a man's right to assess if my body is up to par...? It's not his body to comment on!

Truth! She didn’t ask for his opinion about her body—so how about not giving it.

I have 3 daughters, and there have been public....incidents..over men offering unsolicited comments. It never escalated to violence, but....things waaay beyond catcalls and such. Several times while the girls were still minors - mid teens. In my own "guy kind of way" I get it, really do.

That's the thing: We, as the object (not subject) don't have a great way to know which incidents will escalate into hostility or even physical violence. It isn't a compliment, if the target feels threatened or fearful, no matter what the catcaller intended. (<= Notice lack of gendered terms: What's relevant is the lack of insight, empathy and kindness .)

If someone is a decent human, they ought to act like one. Period.

Yes, this is why my people buy their daughters pepper spray, spikes, or tazers to protect themselves from very simple daily tasks—like getting in your car. I’ve been instructed to always check the back seat of my car to ensure no one is in it...to not wear headphones alone when out so I’m aware of my surroundings. When I went to university they asked us not to run alone and not try not to wear your hair up when walking alone Bc it made a girl easier to grab...fear happens when we feel objectified and don’t know how it will escalate.

• jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You guys wont like my response so Ill refrain
  • riahmaxwell
    riahmaxwell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That kind of stuff makes me so pissed at the world. It’s your body, your health. They don’t have any right to make you uncomfortable.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That's the thing: We, as the object (not subject) don't have a great way to know which incidents will escalate into hostility or even physical violence. It isn't a compliment, if the target feels threatened or fearful, no matter what the catcaller intended. (<= Notice lack of gendered terms: What's relevant is the lack of insight, empathy and kindness .)

If someone is a decent human, they ought to act like one. Period.
    It seems it should be so simple, does it not? Near the beginning of the thread I commented that "all genders do it" and that was not to get men off the hook in any way. I said it because I've seen it, multiple times.

Your first statement is so true and I could write a page easily replying to it, regarding simple human responsibility as I see it. We need to watch out for each other, plain and simple. Adults protecting children especially, but also for each other. Some do, but I wish more would.

My daughter first encountered public harassment from a group of middle aged men when she was 13, and she was absolutely petrified. She hadn't even had time to come to terms with growing breasts before men who she thought of as dad aged were feeling entitled to make her feel uncomfortable about them. She came home in tears and wouldn't leave the house alone for weeks.
    I seem to remember I was about the same age. Literally a child.
    I gritted my teeth reading this. I told the truth about incidents here never escalating to violence, but sometimes I think it ought to. Children are taught to look to adults for protection...my middle daughter had a similar experience with a neighbor. The police wound up getting involved, it was a mess. But he left her alone ever after.

I wish we had better answers. We hope the good folks keep fighting the good fight.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    trbp72 wrote: »
    OK...I expected a bit of backlash...but I'm strong enough to take it...because I'm not a precious little woolen lump...but just so I understand your diatribe...cat-calling a person in the flesh is bad...but posting in threads like those screengrabbed below is acceptable yes?!

g89275c2yv82.png

I took that grab from this very forum displayed on page 1 of the 'Recent Discussions' and all but the 'crush' thread have thousands of replies...presumably from people registered here saying they would kiss (there are two separate 'kiss' threads!) or flirt with the person posting above...there are many similar threads on this forum...so tell me again what is acceptable behavior...

If you have no problem with those threads...then I'd say your worldview is pretty funked up! Because to me they are basically entry-level harrassment posts...

Now I have never been raped, or harrassed...but I do understand those that have experienced the horrors of unwanted attention/abuse may have deep seated issues...and I am truly sorry for whatever happened to you in your life that has made you so protective of your feelings...I do not condone in ANY WAY harrassment or abuse! But let's just take a breath and realise that in general people are not all rapists, murderers or even bad people...we're all just balls of flesh trying to get on in this world and yes there are *kitten* that take advantage of things to do horrible stuff...and specifically in relation to this thread that guy may have been a straight out pervert...I accept that...and if you are made to feel uncomfortable, then you are entitled to your opinion...but come on...where do we draw the line...

Consent. The difference is consent. Those threads are for people to invite a comment or compliment. Walking in public is not an invitation.

You may disapprove of women behaving flirtatiously, but that's not the cause of the problem. "Eve teasing" is still a huge issue for women in countries where they wear burquas and don't speak to men they aren't related to! Wearing burquas!!
    It was just as bad for my mother's generation, from what she tells me, and they didn't have any mixed gatherings without chaperones. No internet, no speed dating, no makeup.

If you don't like flirtatious women, that's fine, don't hang out with them. But they are not to blame for the bad behaviour of the jerks, and they never have been.