Labor Day Mini Challenge!

Options

Replies

• SuzOh
    SuzOh Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I sent you a FR! I am in for this challenge!

Ok, welcome. Please start by sharing your stats and goal. Also share what you specifically plan to focus on during the challenge.
  • StayFocused01023
    StayFocused01023 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'd like to join as well!!
    I had a really great week of logging, staying within calorie ranges, and getting out for exercise above my goals, but the scale didn't budge, it even went up a bit. Honestly while that's a bummer the positive feeling of accomplishment for being within my ranges and meeting my goals was great though! I feel worse when I lose sight of my goals, give up and go overboard than when the scale doesn't move.

I've bounced up and down with my weight between 175-135 for the last 10 years and my ultimate goal is to stay within mid range healthy BMI which I've never achieved. I've decided that working at it very slowly is going to help me to keep it up over the long run so my method is slowly but surely with non-weight goals and building in lots of time to try for small scale number moves along the way. I get overwhelmed when I need to lose large amounts of weight (i.e. 20 lbs over a few months) and I give up quickly with these types of goals because it's so easy for me to either get discouraged or put them right back on. It has been historically normal for me to see no change or small increases on the scale even when doing "everything right" so putting all my hopes on the scale sets me up for easy disappointment and then I give up.

I'll post my weight anyway since it's a measurement to follow but my main goals for Labor Day are:

-track every day up to my calorie goals (1450 calories - I'm set up to lose 1/2 lb per week), and I eat back some of what I exercise. I use the Platejoy app for meal planning which I love and have my calorie goals set up there for meals, but I have the hardest time on weekends and snacking at night before bed so this mini challenge will motivate me to turn down those extras
    -Plan backups for bedtime/midday cravings and weekends - have good snacks around to reach for and plan for treats within my budget (pears, carrots homemade frozen yogurt see below!)
    -go to at least two exercise classes per week OR two long walks outside OR combo of the two
    -2 minute ab/core routine every other day
    -Weigh in and post on Thursday
    -Go the entire month of August without stopping for high calorie expensive coffee drinks (my weakness!) I can have one on Labor Day and track it within my budget as a reward for meeting these goals

I'm 36 and 5'4"
    CW
    7/25: 151.9
    8/1:
    8/8:
    8/15:
    8/22:
    8/29:
    9/5:

Mini GW (Labor Day): 149 (Finally get and stay under 150!)
    GW by End of Year: 139 (top of healthy BMI range)
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 127 (Mid Range Healthy BMI) and keep it there!

So for all of you that mentioned love of ice cream - I got this recipe from another thread/MFP member and I'm LOVING it for that ice cream itch! It literally IS "frozen yogurt!"
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp honey or sweetener of choice (or use xylitol or stevia to cut the calories)
    Blend until smooth then freeze, top with 1 Tbsp chocolate chips or other topping
    It sums about 175-250 calories depending on the yogurt, sweetener & toppings but it really hits that ice cream craving spot!
  • SuzOh
    Options
    Hello! I'd like to join as well!!
    I had a really great week of logging, staying within calorie ranges, and getting out for exercise above my goals, but the scale didn't budge, it even went up a bit. Honestly while that's a bummer the positive feeling of accomplishment for being within my ranges and meeting my goals was great though! I feel worse when I lose sight of my goals, give up and go overboard than when the scale doesn't move.

I've bounced up and down with my weight between 175-135 for the last 10 years and my ultimate goal is to stay within mid range healthy BMI which I've never achieved. I've decided that working at it very slowly is going to help me to keep it up over the long run so my method is slowly but surely with non-weight goals and building in lots of time to try for small scale number moves along the way. I get overwhelmed when I need to lose large amounts of weight (i.e. 20 lbs over a few months) and I give up quickly with these types of goals because it's so easy for me to either get discouraged or put them right back on. It has been historically normal for me to see no change or small increases on the scale even when doing "everything right" so putting all my hopes on the scale sets me up for easy disappointment and then I give up.

I'll post my weight anyway since it's a measurement to follow but my main goals for Labor Day are:

-track every day up to my calorie goals (1450 calories - I'm set up to lose 1/2 lb per week), and I eat back some of what I exercise. I use the Platejoy app for meal planning which I love and have my calorie goals set up there for meals, but I have the hardest time on weekends and snacking at night before bed so this mini challenge will motivate me to turn down those extras
    -Plan backups for bedtime/midday cravings and weekends - have good snacks around to reach for and plan for treats within my budget (pears, carrots homemade frozen yogurt see below!)
    -go to at least two exercise classes per week OR two long walks outside OR combo of the two
    -2 minute ab/core routine every other day
    -Weigh in and post on Thursday
    -Go the entire month of August without stopping for high calorie expensive coffee drinks (my weakness!) I can have one on Labor Day and track it within my budget as a reward for meeting these goals

I'm 36 and 5'4"
    CW
    7/25: 151.9
    8/1:
    8/8:
    8/15:
    8/22:
    8/29:
    9/5:

Mini GW (Labor Day): 149 (Finally get and stay under 150!)
    GW by End of Year: 139 (top of healthy BMI range)
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 127 (Mid Range Healthy BMI) and keep it there!

So for all of you that mentioned love of ice cream - I got this recipe from another thread/MFP member and I'm LOVING it for that ice cream itch! It literally IS "frozen yogurt!"
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp honey or sweetener of choice (or use xylitol or stevia to cut the calories)
    Blend until smooth then freeze, top with 1 Tbsp chocolate chips or other topping
    It sums about 175-250 calories depending on the yogurt, sweetener & toppings but it really hits that ice cream craving spot!

Welcome to the challenge! The scale is only a part of the journey, so I like the things you are focusing on instead. Let's do it! Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • SuzOh
    Options
    Happy MONDAY!

How was your weekend?! Mine was good, then ended kinda on an "I ate too much yummy food" mood. I mean, steak, mashed potatoes, corn bread and red beans and rice...I just couldn't resist. Fortunately, I didn't totally blow it. I worked out on Friday and Saturday, then took a little break on Sunday. Back at it today!

Here's a little dieting humor to start your week...ui8h97ryelwe.jpg
  • mommylb59
    mommylb59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    SW - 153.2
    GW - 135ish

I want to lose 15 lb before my 60th birthday on Sept 17. I had done really well for a while. Lost about 24 lbs. Been on the junk food wagon for a few weeks. Trying to get back in the swing of things. 😬
  • WoodAndCastIron
    WoodAndCastIron Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    My weekend was OK - I managed to stay away from sweets and adult beverages but a few extra slices of pizza harmed my overall calorie count on Sunday. Monday is usually my heaviest day when weighing daily the needle only moved up a little, so I’m hoping for a 1-2 lb loss by Friday.
  • SuzOh
    Options
    mommylb59 wrote: »
    SW - 153.2
    GW - 135ish

I want to lose 15 lb before my 60th birthday on Sept 17. I had done really well for a while. Lost about 24 lbs. Been on the junk food wagon for a few weeks. Trying to get back in the swing of things. 😬

Welcome! I'm with you, I turn 55 in late September and I'm trying to reach 55 lbs total lost by then (about 22 lbs to go). We can do it!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    SuzOh you were right! From 166 to 167 to 164. We shall see what happens next Sunday for the weigh in. I guess I am just learning how my body handles a binge meal.
  • Making_Impossible_Possible
    Options
    I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd like to join if that's alright.

SW - 215 (April 2019)
    CW - 206.8
    Labor Day GW - 195
    GW - 150

The lowest I remember weighing as an adult was 170. After my 1st baby (8 years ago) I weighed about 185. After my 2nd baby I managed to get to 180 then got lazy and stopped tracking because I wasnt losing and I got discouraged. I managed to gain 35lbs over the last 2.5 years and I'm over it.

I've logged consistently for 85 days (though I've been really trying over the last 60 days) I've managed to lose a little over 8lbs! Right now I'm working just to get back to where I was (180s). Its funny how you hate how much you weight until you surpass that number and you realize it really wasnt that bad. After I get back to the 180s I'd like to get to 150.

Today was my first day doing low carb. I told myself I'd give it 2-4 weeks to see how I like it and go from there. I've tried it before but wasnt very dedicated to it, so I dont think it work like it could have. One more try with exercise and accurate counting will all I need to see if this is something I want to continue doing.

Please feel free to add me! We got this!

• SuzOh
    Options
    SuzOh you were right! From 166 to 167 to 164. We shall see what happens next Sunday for the weigh in. I guess I am just learning how my body handles a binge meal.

Go Annie, Go!!! *Crazy scales*
  • SuzOh
    Options
    I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd like to join if that's alright.

SW - 215 (April 2019)
    CW - 206.8
    Labor Day GW - 195
    GW - 150

The lowest I remember weighing as an adult was 170. After my 1st baby (8 years ago) I weighed about 185. After my 2nd baby I managed to get to 180 then got lazy and stopped tracking because I wasnt losing and I got discouraged. I managed to gain 35lbs over the last 2.5 years and I'm over it.

I've logged consistently for 85 days (though I've been really trying over the last 60 days) I've managed to lose a little over 8lbs! Right now I'm working just to get back to where I was (180s). Its funny how you hate how much you weight until you surpass that number and you realize it really wasnt that bad. After I get back to the 180s I'd like to get to 150.

Today was my first day doing low carb. I told myself I'd give it 2-4 weeks to see how I like it and go from there. I've tried it before but wasnt very dedicated to it, so I dont think it work like it could have. One more try with exercise and accurate counting will all I need to see if this is something I want to continue doing.

Please feel free to add me! We got this!

Welcome! You're amongst friends here! I too gained back weight that I lost, so I totally get it. Let's just take it 1 day at a time and see where we end up around Labor Day!
  • WoodAndCastIron
    WoodAndCastIron Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    We only have some degree of control what is front of us.. 😁
  • SuzOh
    Options
    Tonight I made the decision to do 25 minutes of cardio instead of skipping it because I was tired, and also I chose to eat 52 calories of grapes instead of a 150 calorie chocolate ice cream bar. I share this because it's an example of the kind of choices I still struggle with daily. I didn't have my best day with calories or exercise, but I ended the day by making good choices, and a calorie deficit. Victories aren't only achieved on the scale!
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Those are the choices I struggle with too. I know what I need to do. It's the actual doing it part that I have a hard time with.

I did pretty well this weekend as far as logging everything and not indulging too much. I went for a long walk on Saturday, which felt really good. I ended up not walking Sunday or yesterday (but I still made my step goals). I'm planning to get back out there today and do Week 1 Day 3 of Couch to 5K.

Here's to a great week for everyone!
  • SuzOh
    Options
    AquaFan wrote: »
    Those are the choices I struggle with too. I know what I need to do. It's the actual doing it part that I have a hard time with.

I did pretty well this weekend as far as logging everything and not indulging too much. I went for a long walk on Saturday, which felt really good. I ended up not walking Sunday or yesterday (but I still made my step goals). I'm planning to get back out there today and do Week 1 Day 3 of Couch to 5K.

Here's to a great week for everyone!

Yes, the challenges are there, but as long as we wake up the next day and try again that's the key to making the permanent changes we want.

I had a really good Friday and Saturday, Sunday was basically my "day off" (not planned) and yesterday was a mixed bag, but ended well. That's really life though, a series of good, mediocre, and bad with lots of stops and starts along the way. Happy Tuesday everyone!
  • CheerMom715
    CheerMom715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of cardio today! I feel amazing! All those endorphins!

Also did strength training - major muscles and arms.

I weigh in on Friday so my fingers are crossed that I see a loss. I overdid the calories a little bit yesterday, but it is what it is.

Let's keep on truckin!

Kim
  • SuzOh
    Options
    Did an hour of cardio today! I feel amazing! All those endorphins!

Also did strength training - major muscles and arms.

I weigh in on Friday so my fingers are crossed that I see a loss. I overdid the calories a little bit yesterday, but it is what it is.

Let's keep on truckin!

Kim

Awesome! I need to incorporate more weights into my workout regimen.

I weigh on Friday too. Fingers crossed for us!

Suzanne
  • Making_Impossible_Possible
    Options
    I happily came in at 205.6 this morning! It's a new low for me right now, and was my goal to make by the end of July, and with one day left I've currently lost 5.6lbs this month and 9.4 since starting the beginning of june . I still think 199 is doable by labor day, so I'm going to keep that as my goal for now and will lower it if need be .
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I don't have a set amount to lose, I'm on vacation right now and have 10lbs to goal weight, so anytime under 135 is good. I'm maintaining right now while away, or at least am hoping I am!

Original weight: 222
    Current weight: 135
    Goal weight: 120-125
  • SuzOh
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Count me in! I don't have a set amount to lose, I'm on vacation right now and have 10lbs to goal weight, so anytime under 135 is good. I'm maintaining right now while away, or at least am hoping I am!

Original weight: 222
    Current weight: 135
    Goal weight: 120-125

Welcome! Looks like you've worked really hard with those numbers and your goal is so close! Enjoy the rest of your vacay!