Weight Loss seems to have stalled

amandarawr06
amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all!

My weight loss has been super slow lately and seems to have stopped all together lately. I try not to pay much attention to the scale but I do usually weigh in weekly to keep track.

I lost 35lbs between September 2018 until Jan 2019. I stopped trying and maintained where I was until about March. In March I stopped eating meat and actually gained about 10lbs from the gorge of carbs I took on to replace my meat. But I have quickly learned and now eating a pretty balanced diet.

I can't seem to lose though! I eat about 1500 calories a day (sometimes more or less), I run 3x a week, weight train usually twice a week and yoga once a week. I measure and weigh almost everything. Since mid June, I have lost 3.8lbs and I have been stuck at 197lbs for the last two weeks.

Any suggestions or insights? Am I just at a normal plateau? I FEEL great and I don't plan to stop what I am doing but it is starting to get annoying that I am not also seeing the results I want on the scale.

Replies

• amandarawr06
    edited July 2019
    Panini911 wrote: »
    The scale has not moved from 197 at all or not much?
    Two weeks is early days and not quite a plateau. if you added or increased exercise the muscles can be retaining water.
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Also - weight don't measure food
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697068/how-i-stopped-kidding-myself/p1

I went from 197.2 to 197.0 two weeks ago and have been there since. and has only moved a small amount (3 lbs) in the 5 weeks before that.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    1. First, check that your scale is working and batteries are fresh.
    2. If your scale is working, I would say wait one or two more weeks following your present plan (weighing and measuring your food closely).
    3. If you’re still at 197 after 1 or 2 more weeks, it would seem that your 1500 average daily calories are your maintenance calories (seems low, but might just be your stats). You might have to lower your intake to 1300 to see a bit less than a 1/2 lb a week loss. (This will be slow and hard to see, because changing water weight might mask the results on the scale).
    4. Download a weight-trending app so that you can see your weight trend over a few weeks (can help you stay motivated even when day-to-day fluctuations make your weight loss tough to see).
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2019
    try measuring yourself with tailor tape, supplying weighting yourself. You can add it on the mfp.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    You weigh once a week. You've done that twice

You could be losing at a perfectly reasonable rate and yet due to the numbers you see on your weigh ins believe you're maintaining or even gaining.

I've certainly lost at the rate of almost a lb a week yet weighed more on a single weigh in on the wrong day 30 days later.
  • amandarawr06
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You weigh once a week. You've done that twice

You could be losing at a perfectly reasonable rate and yet due to the numbers you see on your weigh ins believe you're maintaining or even gaining.

I've certainly lost at the rate of almost a lb a week yet weighed more on a single weigh in on the wrong day 30 days later.

I don't understand what you mean when you said "you weigh once a week. You've done that twice". I weigh in once a week and I have done that for almost a year (if thats what you mean)

I understand that it fluctuates and that I can weigh several lbs more one day and less the next but Ive never been stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks in a row so I was just curious if there was something i was doing wrong with my food/exercise/calories.

I FEEL great and I look great so I have no intention of stopping