August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Yep, I say go for it @polskagirl01! Sounds like a doable challenge given the shape you are in. And you know, if you DON'T do it, you'll wonder if you coulda :D
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @polskagirl01 yeah I second the go for it!
    On a much smaller scale which could however be comparable as I had only ever done one HM and the long runs included in a novice training plan for that (in other words, I had probably only ever done 3 or 4 runs longer than 10km in my life!), I did a hiking holiday at Easter and survived it. The longest couple of days were around 20-25km each, which took us 6 hours or so (I think, Strava shows 8 and a half hours for the 24km day but we stopped for lunch and bathroom and coffee breaks). I wasn't in my best shape, had only worked back up to running about 5-6km at a time after my injury, and my legs felt VERY tired and heavy after about 4 hours. In fact I think I found it harder than running for the very reason that I was on my feet for so much longer than when running. The worst part was stopping for coffee and sitting down. It took a mile or so after re-starting to not feel like I was walking on two cement posts. But a week later I was as good as new, and I'm doing another one next Easter :D
    What I think I am trying to say (verbal diarrhea, sorry) is that considering you've done a marathon and are in pretty damn good shape you will probably find it challenging but not impossible. And as @Scott6255 says, if you don't try how will you know if you could, or live with wondering if you could? ;-)

ETA: PS, we want photos!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    we have a few popular cemeteries to run in.
    i think, it's ok as the dead ones would probably want people to be happy and enjoy themselves. it's really so the loved ones have a physical place to visit those passed on. imho
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile: I was disappointed when I found out you can’t run in the cemetery by my house - I love the peacefulness and quiet of cemeteries. Of course, peace and quiet isn’t exactly what I think of when I think of a race, but I agree that celebrating life and a good cause doesn’t feel disrespectful.