August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins If you can get adult swimming lessons, go for it!
    I would love to swim better. I can't do crawl swimming at all (or rather only as far as I can get without breathing :wink: ), and I would like to learn. There are no adult classes anywhere nearby. I tried last year on my own by watching youtube videos at home and trying to repeat what they did at the pool, but that didn't work for me at all.

@_nikkiwolf_ yeah, I can do an acceptable leisurely paced granny breast stroke, or poddle along on my back, but forget even trying crawl. Problem is I really hate getting my face wet :-/
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    August 1 – cycling (18 miles)
    August 2 - rest
    August 3 – 11 miles
    August 4 – cycling (15.5 miles)
    August 5 – 4.51 miles
    August 6 – exercise bike (14 miles)
    August 7 – 4.04 miles

Already a bit behind on my mileage but sometimes adult responsibilities use up more time than I would like for them to! Also 7 days into the month and I’ve got exactly 0 exercise classes in at work. If we go to at least 8 classes each month all classes are free. They offer a variety of classes during the lunch time and evening hours – everything from stretch and yoga to weight conditioning and cardio. Maybe Friday I can make it to at least yoga at lunch!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 3.5k slow
    8-2 3.5k easy
    8-3 4k slow
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 rest
    8-6 5k easy
    8-7 7k slow

August Total: 30k
    August Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k

Monthly average: 148.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Cloudy, humid and high 60s F today. Drank an Ensure before running; felt like I had more energy, even though I deliberately went slow so I could complete the 7k.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

ETA: I'm considering investigating the pool at the local sports centre, despite the fact that my psoriasis and chlorine do not mix at all well. Think my legs may benefit more from swimming as cross training than walking though. Thing is, I suck at swimming so the question is do I just try and go swim laps for x minutes on my cross training days during public bathing hours, or do I take the plunge (see what I did there?) and sign up for adult swimming lessons?

it couldn't hurt to take swimming lessons. there is nothing wrong with becoming a better swimmer.
    except the psoriasis. that might hurt.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Oh No @zeesparrow! That sounds painful! Hopefully you you will still be able to run this weekend, you have been training so well to get there!
    @eleanorhawkins - I would definitely go for the adult swim lessons. They can help you get the most out of a swim workout and maybe get you past putting your face in the water. With well fitted goggles you might find it isn't so bad. I love swimming and swam competitively as a child and in a masters program when my daughter was also swimming. If I could I would add swimming into my regular routine but my gym doesn't have a pool and our backyard pool isn't long enough to really do much.
    @mbaker566 - love those happy dogs!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Welcome @BeverlyW1108 and @luciebrucie!
    @BeverlyW1108 - Congratulations on your soon retirement! I retired 18 months ago and it is wonderful having the time to just run (for the most part) when I want to without constraints to be back for a conference call, deal with business travel, etc..
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    I intended to do 3 miles this morning. The run was abruptly ended after 1.2. I knew I can't run as fast as my dogs, but we proved it this morning.

There were 2 deer on the other side of a chain-link fence. I saw them a split second before the dogs but didn't stop running in time. I should have immediately released my hands-free belt when they started to chase but that didn't even cross my mind. So now I have gravel abrasions from my shoulder to my index finger on my right side, from my belly button down (gravel in my shorts!) and on both knees. Oh, and on my nose where my glasses sit. I wasn't wearing glasses at the time so I'm not sure how that happened. I'm grateful I wasn't hurt worse.

Now I don't know what I'm going to do this weekend.

Ouch! Hope you heal up quickly!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    August goal: 100 miles

8/1: 6.30 miles
    8/4: 11.06 miles
    8/6: 6.27 miles
    8/7: 6.26 miles

29.89/100 miles completed

Another hot 6.26 miles this morning. Klimatapp says it was: Clear, 80°F, Feels like 83°F, Humidity 67%, Dew Point 67°, Wind 7mph. The weather channel app said the feels like was 86°F. This is at 5:45 in the morning. Ugh. It is going to be like this at least the next few days, and most likely all of August. I was expecting a tough run this morning, but in reality it wasn't that bad. It was definitely hot. I never knew that I could sweat so much until I became a runner. I'm glad I'm getting out there though and not making excuses not to run. Even though it is hard to run in the heat I feel a real sense of accomplishment when I am done. And my running this summer has been really good. My pace has improved since last summer and I feel like I am staying in HM shape and could run one anytime I wanted. I don't really have anything on the schedule until next May. I'd like to run another race, but there aren't a lot near me.

@zeesparrow That sounds really painful. I hope you heal up quickly and don't have any problems with your race this weekend. I bet a couple of days of taper, resting and relaxing and you'll be good to go.

@PastorVincent Sorry about the letter.

@BeverlyW1108 & @luciebrucie Welcome to the group!

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Went out early this morning with my husband again today. Same crappy weather but it was the best I was getting today.
    My daughter and I went to get pedicures this afternoon. It was a fun mother-daughter thing that we are going to try to keep up. She is almost 11 and for now she is really enjoying hanging out with me. I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts as I know she will get tired of hanging around her parents soon enough.

@martaindale ^this!!!!! Mine is 13 and a half and I have hardly seen her since school broke up.