Am I really committing a crime against humanity?

Options

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    while i mostly try and be around people who respect my choices and believes that i'm capable of making good choices for myself, sometimes it ain't easy. i stopped being around a few people at any times when food is involved, and that can get complicated, but i gotta do me and for whatever reason, they wanted to feed me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Being an "all or nothing" person isn't genetic, which is good news because it means it's something you can work on and change if you try. Someone up thread mentioned you might benefit from therapy and I agree. I know that's not the easiest thing to arrange and maintain but it is worth looking into in some form. That and learning some coping mechanisms for managing your food around others would be really beneficial. I know it is difficult but the control is all yours, I assure you.

This is true, IME.

I actually used to have the all or nothing thing about food -- if I wasn't eating exactly as planned I'd have this weird "well, screwed up already so might as well make the most of it until I decide I'm ready to eat well again."

MFP helped me a lot with that since I started focusing more on not exceeding my cals rather than trying to eat "perfectly" and I saw I could do that even with an off plan day (and also that the off plan day could easily stay below maintenance even if I was over my cals).

It helped with exercise as well. When I first started (and did not have a consistent exercise habit) I had a crazy long hours/stressful week at work and missed all my planned exercise times. I realized that in the past I would have decided nothing was going right and eaten poorly too and just quit entirely for a while. This time, using MFP, I focused on hitting my cals and told myself it was okay to take a week off exercise and I'd start again the next week.

Therapy of course can help with this too. Both something like CBT to focus on problematic thinking patterns and also just having someone to talk to about it.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm an all or nothing kinda person. Either you respect my right to autonomy over all of my body, or I have nothing to do with you.
    Me too. I’m ruthless when it comes to bodily autonomy
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »
    You don’t owe anyone an explanation so stop explaining yourself.
    “Would you like some of this?”
    “No, thank you.”
    “It’s just a bite, it won’t hurt you.”
    Look them directly in the eye and firmly say, “No, thank you.”
    If you refuse to argue/debate/explain they’ve really got nothing to work with. If they persist you can point out how rude they’re being when you’ve clearly said no. Or you can simply walk away.

As far as addiction to “junk food” like anything else it becomes mind over matter. There are people who just aren’t moderators but success with weight loss and maintenance comes from balance. It’s unrealistic to think you will never eat a cookie or piece of pie again. If you never allow it you will always cave and binge eventually. I’m not saying you have to work it in daily but if you give yourself permission to indulge on occasion the urge to dive head first into a binge will slowly fade. Knowing you CAN have it but choose not to is far better mentally than telling yourself you can NEVER have it.

This. If I tell myself "I'm not allowed to eat that." I'll eventually have a mini binge whenever I get ahold of that. But if I tell myself "I'm not eating that right now, maybe later" I wont be as likely to binge on it. It's a total mental game, but it helps me greatly to know I'm allowed to eat the junky thing, but not right now.

Some effective responses for me have been (escpecially if No Thanks isn't working):
    "Oh I really appreciate the offer, but I'm not hungry. I would love to, but I have no room from what I ate earlier"
    " I'm trying to be good, so I'm not going to eat that today. But thank you I really appreciate it."
    " I would love to, but when I eat that stuff I get an upset stomach."
    Showering them in gratitude and then being firm in my "no" seems to help them seem less offended and concerned.

Maybe as an activity to help you for the future when you feel comfortable re-introducing your trigger foods, is to keep a journal about it. Write down what you ate- how it made you feel, and if you binge on it, write about what you were thinking and feeling at the time. Maybe it will help you gain insight to prevent future binges on the stuff you consider junk. Heck- start that journal now. Write about your goals and what you hope to achieve with your current way of eating. Review it when times get tough. And when times get tough write about that too. Just having a mind dump no matter what it is can be greatly theraputic.

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Learning to be firm with people who aren't diet-supportive is really difficult. I have been struggling with this issue with a particular person for a long time and couldn't find a way to successfully manage the problem. Finally I had to lay down the law, as in "Look, I am on a F'ing diet and you have got to get on board and be supportive. Don't put temptations in front of someone who's easily tempted. Be a FRIEND." I then had to repeat that speech another three or four times but now the message is finally getting through. Sometimes you have to really bring the hammer down to get people to tune in. Yes, it can cause hurt feelings temporarily. Hurt feelings are better than Diabetes.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »
    You don’t owe anyone an explanation so stop explaining yourself.
    “Would you like some of this?”
    “No, thank you.”
    “It’s just a bite, it won’t hurt you.”
    Look them directly in the eye and firmly say, “No, thank you.”
    If you refuse to argue/debate/explain they’ve really got nothing to work with. If they persist you can point out how rude they’re being when you’ve clearly said no. Or you can simply walk away.

[snip].

This was what I was going to suggest - picking a phrase and repeating it until they get the point and stop. It has worked well for me, even with really difficult people.

With less difficult people, like my mother, who is just being a food pusher because she believes it is the polite thing to do, I might offer an explanation, "No thanks, I am saving room for X*."

I do eat X later, but you don't have to.

* In this case it is the famous peach cobbler than someone makes every year for the 4th. Mom totally gets me saving room for that and stops pushing other food.