For those who eat cottage cheese: what's your favorite brand?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2018
    I am definitely not an expert and never eat it plain but, I buy Old Home or Kemp’s (both local and available everywhere here, in one of the top 10 dairy producing states). I have purchased national brands, but really can’t discern any difference in taste and usually more expensive. Not a good judge of cottage cheese, because it’s not my favorite dairy product. It all pretty much tastes the same to me, but good protein source, and hubs eats it every day. He never said anything to me about brand preferences.

Go ahead cottage cheese lovers, woo me, I fully expect it 😁 not much of a expert cottage cheese palate, obviously!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Knudsen tastes the best.

I have not seen their dairy in any stores but I can't make my special spiced cider without their "Just Cranberry" juice. 3 parts cider, 1 part Just Cranberry, a few cinnamon sticks, a few cloves, and brown sugar to taste. Simmer in a crock pot or on the stove until hot and the flavors have steeped into the cider. Serve as is or with rum.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    MrLimuzin wrote: »
    I like Daisy (regular, not the low fat).
    Daisy 4%

I like Daisy because it only has four or five ingredients and all of those ingredients are easy to pronounce, so I know it's natural. I've read ingredient lists on other brands that list crap like carbon dioxide and such. What the hell is carbon dioxide doing in cottage cheese??

It's a preservative...not sure what your logic is in considering carbon dioxide as unnatural...(><). What the hell are you doing expiring carbon dioxide? "Scary" chemical names/the "natural" argument just highlights society's general ignorance in chemistry
    glassyo wrote: »
    I like Daisy (regular, not the low fat).
    Daisy 4%

I like Daisy because it only has four or five ingredients and all of those ingredients are easy to pronounce, so I know it's natural. I've read ingredient lists on other brands that list crap like carbon dioxide and such. What the hell is carbon dioxide doing in cottage cheese??

I keep reading this but those reasons don't get any less stu...ill informed.

Sorry guys (not sorry) but I think it's silly that the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe of my automobile be in my food. Eat natural food, not preservative-laden crap.

As far as preservatives go, I think carbon dioxide is on the safer end. I do agree that it's an unnecessary additive though. And I do like Daisy's ingredient list, but the texture is not my favorite.
  • pancakerunner
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Bulla - Onion and chive. Plus I add salt.

Kemps has a line of onion + chive too. Such a great combo!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited December 2018
    Will have to review some of these brands mentioned eventually (unfortunately many are only available @ high end places in my area). Cool thread...kind of want to be back in PA to have access to Amish dairy products (huge bang for your buck in terms of quality; it's not labeled certified organic but assumptions with the Amish work ethic...)
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Trader Joe’s small curd 4%.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Knudsen large curd 4%.
  • Lazy_Bones_1985
    Lazy_Bones_1985 Posts: 49 Member
    Breakstone's 2% small curd. I sometimes mix 10g of Smucker's jam into it to make it sweet.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Breakstones 2% LivActive, but only the single serving cup version. I swear the consistency is different!xnwwybo1zkdj.png
  • pancakerunner
    Breakstone's 2% small curd. I sometimes mix 10g of Smucker's jam into it to make it sweet.

Tried today and wasn't a fan!
  • 50sforme
    50sforme Posts: 18 Member
    Hood brand, with chive. I won’t eat any other kind!
  • pancakerunner
    50sforme wrote: »
    Hood brand, with chive. I won’t eat any other kind!

I've heard good things!
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Nordica, for us Canadians
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Knudsen fat free!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Daisy
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    I love the Lidl store brand. It is delicious, as is their hummus. I ran out and had to make a quick run to Walmart, where I got some Friendship brand, ugh. It was no comparison, and I threw it out. Next time I went to Lidl I got three tubs so I will always be a week “ahead” and won’t run out.

For some reason, the Lidl frozen blueberries are sweet as candy, so I always keep bags and bags in the freezer. Great over cottage cheese!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    local grocery store brand
    0075450097330_CL_hyvee_default_large.jpeg
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Western Wisconsinite here.... :)

This is the best cottage cheese I've ever eaten, hands down. Its amazing topped with peaches and honey, or chilli powder and black pepper. I could live off of this stuff.
    g5bo93emxle4.png
  • pancakerunner
    Western Wisconsinite here.... :)

This is the best cottage cheese I've ever eaten, hands down. Its amazing topped with peaches and honey, or chilli powder and black pepper. I could live off of this stuff.
    g5bo93emxle4.png

I love Westby!!! They also have a dry curd that I am a huge fan of.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Longley Farm, full fat cottage cheese. I wont eat anything else.