Options
13»

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    mitch22098 wrote: »
    My question is: Muscle gets larger and stronger when subjected to stress, which tears down the muscle fiber and can cause DOMS. When the muscle repairs itself it gets stronger. If you do not feel the soreness, what indication is there that the muscle was worked sufficiently to stimulate muscle growth? I have been working out since March, 3 times a week, and when I up my reps or sets I feel DOMS for a few days.

From what I've read muscle damage isn't the only mechanism that causes hypertrophy, and even when it is one of the mechanisms, the damage isn't always to the level where it causes soreness. And soreness can vary from person to person and from lifting session to lifting session for the same person. In short, pain/soreness isn't a reliable indication of a good workout.

https://www.builtlean.com/2013/09/17/muscles-grow/

The only reliable indicator that you're doing it right is by tracking your muscle hypertrophy via measurements, or at least visibly, and by insuring that you're able to progressively increase how much you lift.
  • chrishamilton894
    chrishamilton894 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the muscular soreness is an indicator of muscle damage and the repair work being done. I did a big leg workout once when i was first starting out and my quads were so sore and tight that I couldn’t sit down without it hurting. But now when I do a big session they’re not as bad. Mainly because I’m getting stronger and my body is getting used to the weight.

It’s all trial and error, remember Arnold says if it hurts it growing.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Found a great YouTube video on this here
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Dr Mikes take on soreness

4nutqu5kh9es.jpeg
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If I don’t wake up sore the day following starting a new strength training workout does that mean I didn’t go hard enough?

Hire a coach and follow her/his program... speak to them about it and they'll make the necessary changes required to your program to ensure progress.