Somebody help me wrap my head around this.

Replies

• kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes/ But from photo reference 8-9% is enough to look good.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I just wanted to follow up on this. DH has decided his goals of lifting heavy weights and losing weight are just not compatible, so he decided to focus on weight loss first. He has taken his goal down to 1800 and switched from heavy weight lifting to focus on mobility, bodyweight training, and cardio. He's finally starting to see the scale moving again, and he isn't feeling overworked all the time.

Between my last post here, his weight trend reversed and turned red and now this week it is finally green again, so it seems to be working.

We are also both focusing on improving our sleep quality and overall diet makeup. His mood and motivation are improved.

He also just got his first pull-up in the past week :smiley:

Glad things are moving in the desired direction and congrats to him on the pull-up.

Not to try to fix something that isn't broken, but might it be possible for him to keep lifting with reduce volume and/or intensity in an effort to preserve the muscle he has than swing all the way to bodyweight and cardio?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I just wanted to follow up on this. DH has decided his goals of lifting heavy weights and losing weight are just not compatible, so he decided to focus on weight loss first. He has taken his goal down to 1800 and switched from heavy weight lifting to focus on mobility, bodyweight training, and cardio. He's finally starting to see the scale moving again, and he isn't feeling overworked all the time.

Between my last post here, his weight trend reversed and turned red and now this week it is finally green again, so it seems to be working.

We are also both focusing on improving our sleep quality and overall diet makeup. His mood and motivation are improved.

He also just got his first pull-up in the past week :smiley:

Glad things are moving in the desired direction and congrats to him on the pull-up.

Not to try to fix something that isn't broken, but might it be possible for him to keep lifting with reduce volume and/or intensity in an effort to preserve the muscle he has than swing all the way to bodyweight and cardio?

The bodyweight program he is running not light, it's a full-body conditioning program. It just limits the weight-based resistance to bodyweight. He isn't doing a lot of heavy cardio, the program he is on is pretty fast-paced and keeps his heart rate up. He's doing the Bodyweight Warrior program from Tom Merrick, with the mobility add on.

I'm not sure personally I'd go all the way to bodyweight/cardio, but it seems to be working well for him.

From someone who lifts weights, I thought "bodyweight" was light. I ran the program alongside him for two weeks as a deload for me, it was NOT light. I did the intermediate program (he's doing the beginner), but it is not easy or light, the workouts took a long time, low rest periods, and challenging exercises.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'll recap, he lowered his calorie goal further AND reduced carbs to Atkins40 level (not full keto level). This really involved a few simple swaps, switching his breakfast bowl which had hash browns for one without and his regular tortillas for carb balance tortillas. This easily took his calorie intake down without changing much. Just dropping the hash browns took his breakfast down 200 calories, which made up most of his change.

He dealt with the fewer calories by reducing the intensity of his exercise regimen, although he still exercises the same number of days for the same length of time or longer.

So all in all, 2100 calories was maintenance for him, because he switched to 1800 and has started losing about 0.5lbs/week. No secret eating. Just needed to lower his calories.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I think the simplest answer is the most likely; he's eating more than you think.

Sure. He's buying secret groceries that come out of his secret bank account which he buys when he's out of the house that I don't know about. He throws the trash away from his secret food in a secret trash can that he secretly takes out when I'm not looking.

Or I'm dumb, blind, and stupid.

Or he is eating at his parents house which you yourself said was a trigger place for him. There is no way you can be 100% certain of his caloric intake. As stated earlier in the post, you don't seem to want to accept most of the good advice or explanations you have been given though so its kind of pointless to continue.

Kind of seems to me the problem has been solved.. He's reduced his calories and the weightlifting, and is begining to see results again. Secret eating seems improbable in this case, especially since it appears he's willing to put in the work and problem solving to get the scale going. (albeit via his wife on forums).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    So happy to hear it is improving for your hubby. Sometimes people on the boards forget that we are all individuals and that not everyone can eat at the same level. I'm glad he's improving and that he's seeing progress in his strength training as well. Kudos to you too for being supportive!