August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I have no reasons or excuses for not running on Friday, Saturday was the Renaissance Faire, and Sunday was recovery from the Faire. Today I ran 6 miles.

Remember how I thought I didn't have anything else to say about the car? Well. The tire pressure light came on again this morning, so I looked at the tires. The bad tire that was supposed to have been rotated into the trunk only made it as far as the passenger rear of the vehicle. I recognized the bad wear pattern, and the shiny metal hex-head sticking out. So I took it back to the dealership to have them Do It The Way It Was Specified. I know that's the wrong tire to rotate to the 5th tire position. I didn't ask for it just to be a pain. There's actually a reason I don't want to drive on that one. That foreign object, there. C'mon, guys. But I blame myself for not checking their work. I KNOW this is the sort of thing that tends to happen to my car. I don't know what I've done to attract the bad Juju. Swapping the tire didn't fix the tire pressure light on the dash, either. I checked the pressure on all 4, and I don't know why that's still on. I'll alternate between freaking out about the light and calmly checking with the gauge before every trip. I'm going to buy a goat-cart. Set the car on fire, and drive it into the pool...

exercise.png
    It should not be your job to check the Dealership's work. That's why they have a Service Manager.
    I hope when it comes time for a replacement car, you have other dealership options.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - IME the sensor for the tire pressure is in the tire, so it is probably still telling your car it is low despite it being in the trunk. You might want to take that tire to some cheap tire place and have them plug it and refill it with air.

You can test this just by going to a gas station and putting air in it and see if the light goes out.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    I have no reasons or excuses for not running on Friday, Saturday was the Renaissance Faire, and Sunday was recovery from the Faire. Today I ran 6 miles.

Remember how I thought I didn't have anything else to say about the car? Well. The tire pressure light came on again this morning, so I looked at the tires. The bad tire that was supposed to have been rotated into the trunk only made it as far as the passenger rear of the vehicle. I recognized the bad wear pattern, and the shiny metal hex-head sticking out. So I took it back to the dealership to have them Do It The Way It Was Specified. I know that's the wrong tire to rotate to the 5th tire position. I didn't ask for it just to be a pain. There's actually a reason I don't want to drive on that one. That foreign object, there. C'mon, guys. But I blame myself for not checking their work. I KNOW this is the sort of thing that tends to happen to my car. I don't know what I've done to attract the bad Juju. Swapping the tire didn't fix the tire pressure light on the dash, either. I checked the pressure on all 4, and I don't know why that's still on. I'll alternate between freaking out about the light and calmly checking with the gauge before every trip. I'm going to buy a goat-cart. Set the car on fire, and drive it into the pool...

exercise.png
    It should not be your job to check the Dealership's work. That's why they have a Service Manager.
    I hope when it comes time for a replacement car, you have other dealership options.

SHOULD not be, but often is sadly. I would definitely take my business elsewhere though if at all possible.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Sure - there's the other Chevy dealership where they parked it in the path of their delivery vehicle and tore the front bumper off... Then they called me twice and didn't leave a message either time, so I woke up to the police at my door wanting me to file my half of an accident report...

I have had a few positive mechanic experiences, but nothing nearby - I don't really prefer to drive an ailing vehicle 20 miles with the check engine light on. Which is how I stumbled upon them in the first place - what was closest to me when the car stopped working!

I think I'm going to go back to buying from private citizens, instead of dealerships. I had better experiences with cars back in the early 90's. And they were definitely less expensive - which leaves a little something to FIX EVERYTHING. If only I could find a place that did proper fixing. In this county.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - IME the sensor for the tire pressure is in the tire, so it is probably still telling your car it is low despite it being in the trunk. You might want to take that tire to some cheap tire place and have them plug it and refill it with air.

You can test this just by going to a gas station and putting air in it and see if the light goes out.

I'll see what the gauge says on the spare, but really my car is not that advanced. It has crank windows. That was a positive selling point for me.

I think I'll drag the spare out and leave it in the garage. There's probably a point at which it stops reading, right? It'd be interesting to see what kind of range it's got.

But I have no idea how the sensors work - my car only has a light to tell me to check them. My husband's Camaro has a whole video screen that reads out how many PSI each tire has. I use the gauge on all 4 tires to find the problem. Or not find the problem, as the case may be. At least this time it's not flashing! Same dealership, and they only changed the oil that time. Made a note on my paperwork that I was aware that the drain plug was not appropriate to the vehicle. That is not what I said. I told them that the previous mechanic had indicated that the drain plug bolt was all gummed up with silicone, and he thought the guy before him might have been trying to seal a leak, which might indicate that I needed the drain hole rethreaded and an oversized drain plug installed. I wanted the Chevy dealership to check that out. I had a very unsatisfying back-and-forth with the service manager about that, 6 months ago.

I gave them another try because the bolt, despite anyone's misgivings, doesn't seem to be leaking. Shame on me.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @autumnblade75 You'll probably have to take it back to the dealer to have them reset the switch for the tire pressure. They should have done it when they changed the tire. It'll only take a minute. Better than checking them and freaking out all the time.

Great job on the runs everyone. I am on my way home from another trip to Florida where I did NOT do any exercise to count. My granddaughters and I did go out for a couple of bike rides and a very short walk/jog. They are 7 and 10 and think they can do more than they can. LOL At least they wanted to do something this time. Usually they don't. I'm pretty sure the 7 year old wanted to jog just to see what my Garmin did. Hey, anything that gets them out there. Right?

I am going to do my best to get back on track after I get home tomorrow. The minor league baseball season is over, so that is one less thing to take up my exercise time. I had found a 5K race I was going to do the end of Sept - the Conquer the Cave 5K in Woodville, Alabama. Went to register, and registration is already closed. Shoot! They limited it to 600 people, I think. That was going to be my motivation. Need to find something else that looks interesting to me. If anyone has any suggestions, I'll take them. Would like to find something within about a 4 - 5 hour drive from Greeneville TN.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    @autumnblade75 You'll probably have to take it back to the dealer to have them reset the switch for the tire pressure. They should have done it when they changed the tire. It'll only take a minute. Better than checking them and freaking out all the time.
    I appreciate that in a reasonable world, that would fix it once and for all, and I know you think that's helpful. I don't need to do any such thing as to talk to the dealership again so soon. I will reset the switch myself using YouTube tutorials if I decide that I'm not going to take the dashboard apart in order to clip the wiring on that stupid warning light, or tape over it like I've been threatening to do every time it comes on for no reason. But first, I'm going to see if filling the spare to specs does the trick.

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

exercise.png