Now it's cats....

Now it's cats drinking Whiskey....

Silly cats.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    bojack5 wrote: »
    When a tree falls in the forest and no one is there around to see or hear it happen, does it make a sound when touching the ground?

Will the world still exist after we die? Yup. Things happen all the time without a witness, the laws of physics do not need a set of ears or eyeballs to make it so.

But in some situations the laws of physics are all jacked up and mere observation can alter an outcome

I think observations only alter our perception of perceived outcome.....what will be, will be.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    But in some situations the laws of physics are all jacked up and mere observation can alter an outcome

63k7mof4ky1x.png
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    When a tree falls in the forest and no one is there around to see or hear it happen, does it make a sound when touching the ground?

Will the world still exist after we die? Yup. Things happen all the time without a witness, the laws of physics do not need a set of ears or eyeballs to make it so.

I think observations only alter our perception of perceived outcome.....what will be, will be.

Not a believer of quantum physics i take it
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options

It'll make vibrations, frequency, and pressure waves. But is it still sound before it reaches anyone's ear, or anything to bounce off of, for the brain to perceive it as sound?

This
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options

It'll make vibrations, frequency, and pressure waves. But is it still sound before it reaches anyone's ear, or anything to bounce off of, for the brain to perceive it as sound?

Where there are trees, there is wildlife. The wildlife has ears too. I've always felt this question was an example of human arrogance as we often forget we aren't the sole inhabitants of the earth. I bet anything that the ants and the spiders heard that tree fall.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    6oa2cdgzrxm4.png
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    Ants and spiders don't have ears.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »

Where there are trees, there is wildlife. The wildlife has ears too. I've always felt this question was an example of human arrogance as we often forget we aren't the sole inhabitants of the earth. I bet anything that the ants and the spiders heard that tree fall.

I always heard the question as “no one around to hear it” and interpreted that to mean NO ONE. But it’s another good question- can there really ever be no one?
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Anyone wanna listen to the entire Triumphia album by Imminent Sonic Destruction with me shortly?
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Ants and spiders don't have ears.

Correct but they can still technically "hear" through the vibrations. I am certainly no entomologist so I just picked the first two things that popped in to my head. Foxes have ears. Bears have ears. They would hear the tree fall too :smile:
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    6oa2cdgzrxm4.png

Is that canute?
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options

Not a believer of quantum physics i take it

Yes i am.....but it does not apply in situations where general laws of physics can be quantified.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

I always heard the question as “no one around to hear it” and interpreted that to mean NO ONE. But it’s another good question- can there really ever be no one?

define no one?
    You mean no human being, or no living creature? What about organisms?

Right. No one, meaning no living thing at all. But really what does that even mean.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

define no one?
    You mean no human being, or no living creature? What about organisms?

Right. No one, meaning no living thing at all. But really what does that even mean.

Not all living things have been identified by men, so how can we tell...

Well, it’s a philosophical question so we’d have to take it on faith. A hypothetical