Personal safety when hiking alone

Options

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I would always take the dog even if it was a friendly dog...I'm sure if a situation escalated, most dogs would become defensive of owner...and strangers don't know your dog and may be avoidant of any dog. I'd probably consider getting a second, intimidating looking dog. Your dog might like a friend.

I’m currently unable to get another dog. I might look at it in the future but it’s not doable atm. I will take him along anyway.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Another trick I was told was that if you start feeling uncomfortable just grab your phone and pretend to have a conversation about where you are and who is around you. They are less likely to attack you if they feel they could be more easily identified.

That’s clever! Thanks
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    So far the thread is mostly about attacks from animals or humans. I do hope you're otherwise prepared on your hikes. :)

Accidents can and do happen. You already mention you send a message to a friend from the parking lot. That's a great start, making sure people know where you're going and how long you'll be gone. In addition, a person should carry food, water, a blanket, a whistle, a basic first aid kit, and a hiking map. The phone is great until you're just out of service range, which can happen on remote trails even if there's coverage in the parking lot. Sometimes the battery goes because it's hunting for a connection. Or you fall and the phone breaks (ask me how I know). ;) Consider and plan what you'll do if you get into trouble or get hurt.

A friend of a friend liked to hike alone in remote areas and randomly chose where she went without telling anyone. She never carried any basic supplies with her, because it was always a "quick" day hike. A park ranger reported a car had been parked at the same trail head for days, and a check with family revealed the owner hadn't been heard from. She had slipped off the path and fallen quite a distance. The coroner said she probably lived for a full day or even two before succumbing to her wounds and the weather. Really sad and possibly avoidable, had she at least notified others and had some supplies to care for herself. :(

Agreed. That's why I got WFR certification and go prepared when visiting the wilderness. Often, I also go alone.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    jnomadica wrote: »
    Are any animal sprays legal there? I don’t think there are bears in Australia, but here in the US I carry a giant can of bear spray. It has a reach of over 20 feet. I’m more worried about bears than people, but I believe the spray would be quite effective against any bad guys. And even though the dog I bring hiking isn’t large, I think she’s a detterent.

The OP clarified that no sprays are legal where she is, but I was going to suggest this as well - in some areas in the US people defense spray is not legal but animal defense spray is (and they might be very similar).

Also, Amazon would not ship me pepper spray but I was able to buy it at a local gun store.

I have pepper spray and a phone.

I use MapMyHike - I wonder if someone disappeared if the police could use that as a starting place for a search?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so always bring your basics. i think @T1DCarnivoreRunner calls them the 7 essentials or something. because accidents happen.
    always tell someone where you are going and how long you plan on going for.
    you could train your dog defense training.
    bug spray could help.
    i wouldn't necessarily have a knife or spray so i cannot be disarmed and it be used against me.
    self defense class is good depending on the class. if attacked, learning not to panic and to disable the attacker(s) is important.
    there are personal safety buttons/alarms.
    can you have a kubaton?
    or something decorative...but secretly defensive
    mvkz0nubnet9.png
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A good self defense course and pepper or bear spray. Make sure you're carrying the hiking10 essentials with you. I trail run in remote areas and this is always top of mind. I'm not comfortable or skilled in carrying a firearm, so that's not an option for me.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Who absorbs all of the costs for search and rescues. Ultimately, it comes down to taxpayer dollars. Should it remain a free public service. That's what many question in my neck of the woods. Who pays for the boots on the ground, the search plane, rescue or recovery.

It's not bragging if it's true. My family knows a thing or two about search and rescue and recovery. Got hotshot helicopter pilots...we do. Fires, search and rescues. Who pays for folly. We all do.

I used to hike for miles every day out there in the wilderness. When I was a kid, we didn't think about all of the predators of every kind. We simply went but I cringe when I think about the near misses. Teenagers are fearless that way. Don't we all wonder how in the world we've made it this far. I do.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Never mind. It’s illegal here.

how about Bear Spray? It's pretty similar.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    so always bring your basics. i think @T1DCarnivoreRunner calls them the 7 essentials or something. because accidents happen.
    always tell someone where you are going and how long you plan on going for.
    you could train your dog defense training.
    bug spray could help.
    i wouldn't necessarily have a knife or spray so i cannot be disarmed and it be used against me.
    self defense class is good depending on the class. if attacked, learning not to panic and to disable the attacker(s) is important.
    there are personal safety buttons/alarms.
    can you have a kubaton?
    or something decorative...but secretly defensive
    mvkz0nubnet9.png

The 10 essentials. Google it... what to carry in the wilderness.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Are there hiking/walking clubs or groups in your area you could join? We have them here.

I wouldn't go alone myself. If you insist on going alone, be aware and alert, do not have earbuds/earphones in your ears or be listening to music so you can be alert. You have been given some good advice/suggestions above. Be safe.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    aries68mc wrote: »
    Are there hiking/walking clubs or groups in your area you could join? We have them here.

I wouldn't go alone myself. If you insist on going alone, be aware and alert, do not have earbuds/earphones in your ears or be listening to music so you can be alert. You have been given some good advice/suggestions above. Be safe.

I've been hiking alone for 40 years. I do take basic precautions like having pepper spray, a cell phone, and letting my OH know where I am and when I expect to be back, but I'm really not worried about it.

As mentioned earlier, women are actually in more danger at home. This was true in my case, and therapy helped me learn how to make better choices.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Statistics are great but I should still be prepared.

Absolutely you should, just pointing out that the media are great at enticing unwarranted fear. I guess it is how they sell stories. I am wondering how statistics look in other countries though in comparison to Australia where you have more chance of dying from a snake bite when in a remote location than anything else.

Another reason for not hiking alone. You could get bitten by a snake, spider, scorpion, or insect that you're allergic to; mauled by a predator; fall and injure yourself; be struck by falling rocks or a falling branch, etc.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I stay vigilant at observing my surroundings, I don't listen to headphones while hiking or walking alone. Don't worry about offending people by moving away from them on path. Years ago I read a book interviewing serial rapist in prison, they told how they pick their victims. Most walk toward their victims, not from behind. Self defense is great. They pick people who they think won't fight.

Too bad everything's illegal there. I do carry pepper gas for animals too, we have bears, coyotes, wolves, and cougars. Years ago saw a park ranger spray a bear on a path, and bear just took off. I also carry stun gun.

I also avoid walking/hiking same path on a routine.

Stay safe and observant. Good idea with the cars and photos!!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm a 68 year old woman who has been hiking the back trails at the local WMAs for the past 7 years by myself. In my area, I've found that when I run into someone that's parked in the lot or out front, they're like me, hiking, or scouting for a hunt, and very nice. The few times I've run into someone that set my teeth on edge, there were no cars in the lot, these were guys hiking in from who knows where. I've been told to carry a gun, but instead I hike with 2 dogs and a small bottle of bear spray, which would also deter any human unfortunate enough to get doused. My dogs actually big sweeties, but they're also large pit bulls... they have always put the weirdos into a bit of a panic, and they've left as quickly as they arrived. If you don't have access to a nice sized dog, perhaps pepper spray or a small handgun would be the way to go? That's what my doctor advised when he found out that was my chosen form of exercise. I hope you find something that helps your mind, AND keeps you safe!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Never mind. It’s illegal here.

Pepper spray is (at least was last time I looked) illegal in my state. However, we can buy bear spray with no restrictions and it is pretty close to the same thing. Is there something similar in Australia to ward off animals?