Personal safety when hiking alone

Options

Replies

• MamboRumba
    MamboRumba Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    No! You are not overreacting. Bad men are women greatest threats.

Go on Meet Up and sign up for Hiking groups. Our group has hikes every week. It is a lot of fun when I go.

I live in a gated community and my backyard is a Preserve. I walk the open trail around the lake.

But, I won’t go into the woods alone. I WANT TO!

It is just too risky that some man might be lurking about waiting for female hikers.

It only takes a few minutes to commit an assault.

Outside the neighborhood gates it is a city park .....so, everyone has access to this wooded park.

Or, start your own Hiking Group.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My sister hikes a lot in CO wilderness and she carries bear spray and a knife.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Not that I hike but I have a taser disguised as a hiking stick thing lol.
  • MamboRumba
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The reason to take a dog is not so that it will defend you it is so that you become a less desirable target. That is the same reason to take a stick with you. The goal is to avoid defending yourself at all because no matter how much training and what weapons you have you are always at risk of losing. If someone sees you with a dog that can bark and get attention and a stick that can hurt they will be much less likely to try anything.

I also agree that you are never in as much risk as the "stories" would have you believe. Most people are just trying to get through their day too and probably barely even notice you are there.

I scared a young girl not to long ago. I am a creature of habit and I like filling my gas at the same gas station and even using the same pump. So I pulled into my pump and there was a young girl on the other side. There was no one else getting gas and I guess the fact I pulled in next to her when I could have picked another pump alarmed her. She quickly headed inside looking back to make sure I wasn't following her. She started talking to the attendant and a few times she pointed at me. She stayed there until I left watching me the entire time. I would have barely known she was there if she hadn't been so obviously scared. I could have gone inside and tried to calm her but I decided that even if I told her I meant her no harm there was a chance she would think I was lying.

Are people really taking their dogs on long hikes? What kind of dogs do y’all have?

For mine.....it is tiring and hot! Making them walk for a long amount of time on dirty uneven grounds, with rocks, sticks, insects, etc. Mud! I don’t do it.

Short walks are ok on better weather days.

But, when I think of a hike it is like 7+ miles. A few leisure hours of me-time walking enjoying nature.

I have a jogging stroller for my little dog.....and, she really loves that. Makes her feel like the Queen of the World!

For my larger dogs....I walk about a mile with them. Then drop them off at home and keep walking by myself.

(I do live in very hot humid weather. We also get a lot of rain. Ground is either too hot or mud)

What breeds are good for long wooded hikes?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    both my collie mix and my lab mix can do 10+ walking. i bring them water and usually give them a chance to play in water too
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    MamboRumba wrote: »
    The reason to take a dog is not so that it will defend you it is so that you become a less desirable target. That is the same reason to take a stick with you. The goal is to avoid defending yourself at all because no matter how much training and what weapons you have you are always at risk of losing. If someone sees you with a dog that can bark and get attention and a stick that can hurt they will be much less likely to try anything.

I also agree that you are never in as much risk as the "stories" would have you believe. Most people are just trying to get through their day too and probably barely even notice you are there.

I scared a young girl not to long ago. I am a creature of habit and I like filling my gas at the same gas station and even using the same pump. So I pulled into my pump and there was a young girl on the other side. There was no one else getting gas and I guess the fact I pulled in next to her when I could have picked another pump alarmed her. She quickly headed inside looking back to make sure I wasn't following her. She started talking to the attendant and a few times she pointed at me. She stayed there until I left watching me the entire time. I would have barely known she was there if she hadn't been so obviously scared. I could have gone inside and tried to calm her but I decided that even if I told her I meant her no harm there was a chance she would think I was lying.

Are people really taking their dogs on long hikes? What kind of dogs do y’all have?

For mine.....it is tiring and hot! Making them walk for a long amount of time on dirty uneven grounds, with rocks, sticks, insects, etc. Mud! I don’t do it.

But, when I think of a hike it is like 7+ miles. A few leisure hours of me-time walking enjoying nature.

I have a jogging stroller for my little dog.....and, she really loves that. Makes her feel like the Queen of the World!

For my larger dogs....I walk about a mile with them. Then drop them off at home and keep walking by myself.

(I do live in very hot humid weather. We also get a lot of rain. Ground is either too hot or mud)

Probably any working dog breed; in fact, these can have behavior issues if they don't get enough exercise - cases in point my mom's Australian Shepherd and my Husky. (Sadly both deceased.)

Mom's dog would take herself for walks if Mom didn't get on it fast enough. (Mom has a hard time with the concept of leash laws and lives in a quiet neighborhood with dirt roads where she could get away with this.)

My uncle uses border collies on his working sheep farm and they need tons of exercise as well.

This is not very comprehensive, but perhaps a good starting point: https://news.orvis.com/dogs/dog-exercise-needs-by-breed
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    cbihatt wrote: »
    What about something loud, like an air horn? It could be loud enough to damage a person’s hearing if used up close, and at the very least it would help you to signal for help.

I was just going to suggest this. Great minds. 😉

What about a taser?
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I have an 11 year old Papillon who did a 9 mile hike with me last weekend. I figured since she's only about 7 pounds I would just carry her if she got tuckered out, but she happily kept up the whole way.
  • MamboRumba
    Options
    One thing I see a lot at a nature hike I take in a park...it's about three miles round trip and the first leg ends at a beach, so the dogs do quite a bit of running around at the beach in the sun. People bring their puppies. Big puppies, like labs and retrievers. These puppies tend to bonk after the first leg. There is plenty of water available but these people aren't bringing food for the dogs. The pups need food! If they haven't eaten within a half hour of their walk, bring food for them! These pups are flat-out refusing to walk, lying down on the trail, and people are trying to force them to walk.

No. Puppies need to be eased in to longer walks and should never be run. Check with the vet before exercising young animals.

And now we'll have dog arguments...gosh, I know better than to get in threads about this.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 no, no arguing, please! I love it that people have dogs that can tolerate long hikes in their areas.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

My puppy loves the mud, uneven ground, rocks, sticks. and he routinely eats insects... so basically a normal dog. When choosing a rescue I picked a, then, 28lb dog so he is not huge for being indoors which is what my wife wanted and certainly big enough for fairly long treks. I am more careful on hot days because he is still a puppy and I bring water for him to drink but he is not a fragile animal by any definition. He will max out under 35 pounds so definitely a medium sized dog.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add, but I really empathize with you. I also like long hikes alone. It's so care free and restorative. Unless you feel unsafe, which really destroys the whole care-free and restorative point of the endeavor. Since your dog can handle it, that's a great solution. No special training needed. As others said, a dog introduces too many variables for a predator... even a wimpy little dog discourages someone looking for an easy target. I wish you the best and happy trails.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Never mind. It’s illegal here.

Here in Texas Monday for the first time in several decades it will be legal to possess and carry brass knuckles. Maybe that for you there?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Australia, where everything wants to kill you and you're not allowed to stop it. Lol

ETA: with your options for self defense being so limited, I would second the suggestions for a sturdy stick and taking the pup.
    Also, walk tall and make eye contact with everyone. It portrays confidence which makes you seem less vulnerable.

Haa haa. Our homicide rate is tiny in comparison to the US and here most victims are known to the perpetrator. We have crocodiles and sharks which we won't have a problem with when hiking. There are snakes which will leave you alone if you leave them alone. Kangaroos, koala, emus, wombats .... certainly don't need a spray to protect us from those. That only leaves those killer drop bears ;)