Options
15678911»

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    So I had to google Yowie!

Funny how so many cultures have their own version of such things. Which all appear to reach back before any form of world wide communication networks.

The only thing I can think of for the UK though is the Loch Ness Monster! Which isn’t quite in the same category as a Yowie or the more well known Big Foot or Yeti legends.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Binaca?
    (obscure Seinfeld reference)
  • Scallyboo
    Scallyboo Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I bring a few of my dogs, I run alone in my local forest about once or twice a week. JRT, whippet, St. Bernard, German Shepherd and an Irish Wolfhound. Last night I went with a friend got caught up chatting and lost our way. It was dark and 9pm by the time we found the cars. I was terrified. Had the whippet and St. Bernard with me. I'll never do it alone again now :(
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Australia doesn’t have bear spray as we don’t have bears.

Is there croc spray or dingo spray?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Funny how so many cultures have their own version of such things. Which all appear to reach back before any form of world wide communication networks.

The only thing I can think of for the UK though is the Loch Ness Monster! Which isn’t quite in the same category as a Yowie or the more well known Big Foot or Yeti legends.

Bandersnatch? Boojum? Or do you feel those don't count as the invention of a specific person, rather than a cultural meme of unknown origin?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    No, I wouldn’t count either as they’re both constructs of Lewis Carroll’s mind, rather than of folk legend origin.

I know there are probably countless examples throughout cultural history around the world though, it just strikes me as strange that so many of them are of a similar appearance stemming from a time before people travelled or communicated with people outside their geographical neighbourhood.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I have fallen prey to the "everything is the same worldwide" thinking of North Americans. I had no idea there were no bears in Australia. My mistake.

No worries. There are plenty of other animals in Australia that can be dangerous or deadly. ;)

You're right.. Aussie sheilas are very dangerous 😁
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Could be worse, you could be hiking northern Wisconsin and run into a hodag.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    Seriously contemplating compiling some personal research on this now! I love learning about these weird things!

Hodag - totally new one, just remembered the Wendigo though as well!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I need to visit Australia! It's on my bucket list!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    We don’t have sprays for animals. We just avoid them or punch them then run

Made me think of this. Hilarious! Even she laughed about it.
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/womans-breast-implants-ruptured-in-kangaroo-attack-in-south-australia-20160531-gp8gx3.html
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You think I’m joking about punching them but...this actually happened. Don’t watch if you don’t like seeing a guy punch a kangaroo to stop it killing his dog. Australia is chaotic
    https://youtu.be/FIRT7lf8byw

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I have fallen prey to the "everything is the same worldwide" thinking of North Americans. I had no idea there were no bears in Australia. My mistake.

No worries. There are plenty of other animals in Australia that can be dangerous or deadly. ;)

Yeah--those snakes and spiders! Sometimes, I watch too much Animal Planet. :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Like dropbears and yowies

At least there isn't a bigfoot.

As far as you know ... ;-P
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Like dropbears and yowies

At least there isn't a bigfoot.

He lives near the Lime Kiln trail in Granite Falls WA.