Replies

• tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    iMago wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    It drives me when someone (I know) tells me about how my diet pop causes cancer...guess what, news flash...smoking causes cancer too (she smokes)

But then, she says because she doesn't smoke cigarettes, it's much better for her, which may or may not be true, and I don't care if people smoke...but self righteous much, lady

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

Sorry, I'll translate for you!
    "Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

What really confuses me is when you actually want a coke!

person 1- "what kinda coke ya'll want?"

person 2- "uh get me a diet pepsi if they got it, if not diet dr pepper'd be fine"

person 3- "yeah man just get me a coke"

simple as.

Didn't know this was a Texas thing too. Atlanta, everything is a Coke.

This made me SO confused last time I visited Texas! I thought nobody carried anything but coke until my cousin told me she got me a coke and it was a Pepsi.

Surely coke is Coca-Cola and Pepsi is Pepsi?

in the Southeastern US and Texas (rednecks and cowboys) Everything is a coke, even a Pepsi or a mountain dew. Coca Cola is known as "just coke" or "Classic Coke". Atlanta is the world HQ of Coca Cola, so I've grown up with it being like this here. It is new knowledge to me that Texas is the same, only bigger.

in atlanta do they call Dr Pepper coke too?

Yep! I am a Dr. Pepper drinker and always call it a coke. Unless it is the glass bottles you can only get at the grocery store that are made with real sugar. Those are 10-2-4 Dr. Peppers and stand all by their own.

I call them all generally, soda.
    But I call each of them by name. I get specific. lol
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    George_of_the_Jungle Posts: 3,316 Member
    It drives me when someone (I know) tells me about how my diet pop causes cancer...guess what, news flash...smoking causes cancer too (she smokes)

But then, she says because she doesn't smoke cigarettes, it's much better for her, which may or may not be true, and I don't care if people smoke...but self righteous much, lady

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

person 2- "uh get me a diet pepsi if they got it, if not diet dr pepper'd be fine"

simple as.

This made me SO confused last time I visited Texas! I thought nobody carried anything but coke until my cousin told me she got me a coke and it was a Pepsi.

in the Southeastern US and Texas (rednecks and cowboys) Everything is a coke, even a Pepsi or a mountain dew. Coca Cola is known as "just coke" or "Classic Coke". Atlanta is the world HQ of Coca Cola, so I've grown up with it being like this here. It is new knowledge to me that Texas is the same, only bigger.

Yep! I am a Dr. Pepper drinker and always call it a coke. Unless it is the glass bottles you can only get at the grocery store that are made with real sugar. Those are 10-2-4 Dr. Peppers and stand all by their own.

But... Its not coke. Its Dr Pepper... In the UK we just call things what they are. Coke is coke. Pepsi is Pepsi. Fanta is Fanta. Life is simple.

eh I was born in to the weirdness and it has stuck. Not changing it now :)
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    tinak33 wrote: »

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

also not in the southeast, or Texas. :)
  • tinak33

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

But... Its not coke. Its Dr Pepper... In the UK we just call things what they are. Coke is coke. Pepsi is Pepsi. Fanta is Fanta. Life is simple.

I knew I was in the wrong country.....
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

Yes I agree with this 😂😂 I used to work as a waitress and an American lady asked me for a coke and I got her a coke but she actually wanted a sprite 😂😂 she told me she calls everything a coke. So bloody confusing!!

Coke and Sprite are SO DIFFERENT 😂
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

If you’re in a restaurant and you want a Dr. Pepper and you ask for a coke what happens? Is there some kind of telepathy? grunting and pointing?
  • George_of_the_Jungle

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

Yes I agree with this 😂😂 I used to work as a waitress and an American lady asked me for a coke and I got her a coke but she actually wanted a sprite 😂😂 she told me she calls everything a coke. So bloody confusing!!

Now when in a place other than the south I'm aware I have to be specific
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

It's so American though isn't it? Like football. Name it something totally wrong, already in use, and then refuse to change it

Very true. It does tickle me.
  • ArmyVeteranM1A1C
    ArmyVeteranM1A1C Posts: 1,045 Member
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    I am from the land of pop
    It is divine here
    Join me

I was born in the land of pop, but moved to soda

I was born in the land of soda, lived in the land of pop and wound up in the land of coke
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    "You're so calm, it's eerie. Maybe you're dead".
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    "Do you want anything?"
    "Yeah I'll take a coke."
    "What kind?"
    "A Sprite, thanks!"

This is the way the conversation always goes.
  • your_future_ex_wife

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

I know!!! 😂😂 I would have understood if she said soda I’d have gotten her a sprite but she didn’t make things clear. I thought a coke was a coke 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😂😂😂

and soda isn’t sprite where i live. Soda usually means a fizzy drink in general but in a bar it means unflavored soda water.
  • tinak33

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

I know!!! 😂😂 I would have understood if she said soda I’d have gotten her a sprite but she didn’t make things clear. I thought a coke was a coke 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😂😂😂

and soda isn’t sprite where i live. Soda usually means a fizzy drink in general but in a bar it means unflavored soda water.

Yes. lol
  • George_of_the_Jungle

bofg389eo327.jpg

JvXaFy7.gif

"Diet coke root beer"
    (did I say that right!)

simple as.

If you’re in a restaurant and you want a Dr. Pepper and you ask for a coke what happens? Is there some kind of telepathy? grunting and pointing?

Here, if the server is from around, you'd order a coke and they'd tell you what kind they have.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    mmultanen wrote: »
    "Do you want anything?"
    "Yeah I'll take a coke."
    "What kind?"
    "A Sprite, thanks!"

This is the way the conversation always goes.
    ohhhhh. so many words!