September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I was originally planning on running the Shanghai Marathon on Nov. 17, but 1) my training is not going very well and 2) my boss doesn't like the idea very much, since I'll be the lead on the project and if I'm running, well let's just say it ain't gonna be pretty. She's been trying to talk me into switching to the 10km all week, and I'm probably going to.

So the question becomes, what do I do now? Do I find a HM race nearby and call it a season? Or should I find a spring marathon and restart my training plan? Ditch running entirely for a month and learn rock-climbing? :/

If it is just a matter of timing, then finding a spring marathon could be wise, and you could do that AND run a half now instead of the full.

It really just comes down to what YOU want and YOUR goals. So to answer this you need to figure out what you think is important, and then plan for it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Oh boy, not awake yet.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Lol.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile @Elise4270 Eek! I've eaten my share of bugs but that... no thank you!

@MNLittleFinn Wooohooo! My brain can't even start to comprehend how tough that must've been.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I was originally planning on running the Shanghai Marathon on Nov. 17, but 1) my training is not going very well and 2) my boss doesn't like the idea very much, since I'll be the lead on the project and if I'm running, well let's just say it ain't gonna be pretty. She's been trying to talk me into switching to the 10km all week, and I'm probably going to.

So the question becomes, what do I do now? Do I find a HM race nearby and call it a season? Or should I find a spring marathon and restart my training plan? Ditch running entirely for a month and learn rock-climbing? :/

Hmm... I'm not keen on the peer pressure to switch distances. But assuming there's not enough time to dedicate to both for a respectable outcome... I hate to say work is probably the priority. Run when you can, and definitely take up rock climbing! I've seen some info on elite runners, they take seasons off. I can't remember how long a season is, maybe 6-8-12 weeks? It could be a good move, if you've hit a plateu, or are flirting with injury. Or just wanna keep your status at work.

Good luck. I want rock climbing pics. @ROBOTFOOD you do any rock climbing out thataway?
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary, congrats on your half!

Yay for the new house, @Avidkeo! Hope you find some awesome new places to run.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @rheddmobile @Elise4270 Eek! I've eaten my share of bugs but that... no thank you!

@MNLittleFinn Wooohooo! My brain can't even start to comprehend how tough that must've been.

Hmm... I'm not keen on the peer pressure to switch distances. But assuming there's not enough time to dedicate to both for a respectable outcome... I hate to say work is probably the priority. Run when you can, and definitely take up rock climbing! I've seen some info on elite runners, they take seasons off. I can't remember how long a season is, maybe 6-8-12 weeks? It could be a good move, if you've hit a plateu, or are flirting with injury. Or just wanna keep your status at work.

Good luck. I want rock climbing pics. @ROBOTFOOD you do any rock climbing out thataway?

Occasionally. Red Rock Canyon is about 30min away which has world class climbs. But it’s usually crowded / spots taken. 20yrs should, you’d be alone. These days for me, I mostly powerlift and snowboard.