What is your workplace pet peeve?

12345679»

Replies

• NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    I made nice new fancy employee bin markers, and an employee asked for his old one back. His old was just a folder with his name on it. Told he's not getting back and to stop being a child.
  • helow88
    helow88 Posts: 74 Member
    edited September 2019
    Some people have no respect for parking spaces. Especially when the parking lot or street is tiny to begin with. It's something extra everyone has to worry about when they shouldn't have to.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    not in my current workplace but when I worked retail and a couple of other places...smokers being allowed many, many breaks while everyone else got maybe 1 short break per day besides lunch.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Uptight bosses who impose stupid rules and bureaucracy then don’t follow it themselves. Why make the workplace harder than in needs to be with this asinine bull twang?
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    i hate when they pick their nose and wipe it on the arm of the sofa
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    People that act busy doing absolutely nothing.

Lol, unfortunately it’s probably their bosses making them do this. It’s a horrible feeling...when there is actually nothing to do but you gotta fake it. It’s harder than actually doing required work.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    When I’m napping and someone knocks on my office door.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

That's the worst! :D
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member

A bunch of selfish jerks!

Then you gotta blink yourself awake and put on a front like you weren’t just sleeping when they totally know you were.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

A bunch of selfish jerks!

Then you gotta blink yourself awake and put on a front like you weren’t just sleeping when they totally know you were.

Haha! Exactly. I act like I was just really engrossed in my work and need a second to refocus.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    I had so many workplace pet peeves - I figured the only way I would get through 35+ years of working without going completely insane was to work for myself and by myself. So I did. I'm retired now, but I truly believe that decision saved my (and probably others too!) life. :neutral:
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    People who feel like their needs are important. I will get to your request in the order in which I recieved it. I don't give a flying F^ck about how you need it done sooner. You should've turned it in sooner. 🤷🏾‍♀️
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Co-workers who claim “OCD” as an excuse to impede efficiency.
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    When coworkers take frequent "bathroom breaks" at 20-30 minutes a pop.
  • At my new job there is really only one. And that is a lady who works with me. She obsesses over everything I do and usually makes snide comments about it, whether its when we are planning a lunch and she has to tell everyone i'm on a special diet??? Which I am not. Or my boss told me I could leave early on Friday (he told her too) and when I actually did she complained to HR. There is nothing in our dress code about wearing shirts with words on them, its a very, very casual office but she always tells me she thinks its unprofessional when I wear them. I have a hoop ring in my nose and she casually mentions in front of my boss that facial piercings on women are unattractive. I have so many more examples and I've only been here 10 months.

I would slash her tires. I'm not petty I don't have the time for insecure adults. Like reading this made me want to hulk out I don't like people esp women like this.
  • So after reading this post which was very insightful I think most people really hate people and Im an extremely introverted person. I also think this reaffirms my entrepreneur focus as some things are just what they are. My one pet peeve is not being able to be yourself as fake is rewarded and the other would be people who don't understand business.
  • kaika_dragon
    kaika_dragon Posts: 101 Member
    Hmm. I really like my job, overall. And all of my coworkers are generally easygoing, likable people, so this isn't going to be as bad as some people's stories. But that said...

- The fact that apparently, out of 15 employees sharing one small fridge, there's only like 3 of us who seem to understand that if you put junk in the fridge, YOU then need to remember it's there, and either eat it or throw it out! While it's not my job, I've cleaned that fridge twice since I started, when it got too revolting and started inexplicably having no room for my lunch and coffee creamer. Both times, I warned people that if they didn't take care of their nasty food, it was going STRAIGHT into the trash, container and all. Nothing was removed, so I chucked it all. Threw away some really nice glass tupperware, too... but, I guess if they left it long enough to turn into an unrecognizable monstrocity of a science experiment, I guess they didn't miss it too much?

And on the pettier side, these three:

- The new janitor, who every single day, pulls my trash can out from under my desk to empty it, then never puts it back where it belongs. She leaves it just close enough to the right spot that I don't immediately see it's set up wrong when I come in... but just far enough from the right spot that I pick up a big handful of garbage, turn to throw it away, and realize I can't reach the trash can.

- My coworker who is a little hard of hearing, which wouldn't be an issue (so am I!)... except that she also doesn't LISTEN! She tends to do things like call out a question from the hallway (where she can barely hear my answer) then, walk into my office and AS I'm in the middle of answering, loudly ask the question again instead of waiting to see what I said, or asking me to repeat myself. Like... I get it. It's frustrating to not understand what other people are saying. But if you know you have hearing problems, come into my office to ask me things in the first place! Don't shout things across the room when you know you won't understand the answer - it's confusing for both of us! Same person is also very much the "everything is an emergency" type.

- People jumping on trendy, totally unscientific "facts". I mentioned to someone at work that diatomaceous earth was good for killing fleas in your carpet and yard. She googled it, and I had to spend the rest of the day hearing about how "scientists" have discovered that it's good for everything under the sun - deworming pets, cleansing your gut, dietary supplement.... the list went on a while. It actually does kill fleas, for the record. But I am, um. A little dubious of some of the other claims. I'm glad I mentioned it because it helped her dog's flea problem, but I did NOT intend to be hearing an infomercial on the subject every time we talked for the next day.

Although, current job is better for this than my last job, on that point. My supervisor there wouldn't let me turn on the main light in our shared office, because she thought the electricity "coming down on you" from the overhead lights was bad for you. We had to use annoyingly dim desk lamps.

Both of these people are kind, smart women who are good at their jobs. I just... find it extremely awkward to keep hearing extensive conversation about things I think are blatantly incorrect, especially in scenarios where I'm not close enough to the person to be comfortable just telling them I think it's silly.