Barbell "Form check"(e.g., Squats, Deadlift, Benching, Presses)

Hi everyone,

I am posting this to give an avenue for those who are questioning their "form" with barbell lifts. I first want to state that there are certain ideas/thoughts that can be either helpful or harmful. I hope that this thread is helpful to those who view or post.

One example that is often expressed by some recreational or even professional lifters/coaches is that if a lifter's back isn't perfectly straight throughout a dead lift, one is going to be injured or worse their back will explode and never be able to walk. This simply isn't true or backed by evidence. This is a harmful thought and can effect the mind set and body of someone who trains.

I please ask that everyone refrain from suggesting form fixes, cues, or suggesting their fav "youtuber" to those who post in order to keep the thread clean as possible for me to answer a post efficiently without having to correct or perhaps argue these thoughts. It's not that I'm correct or others are not. I feel we should question everyone to get our answers. Though if you feel the need to express them, I respectably ask you please start your own thread and I would be happy to view and reply if you wish :smile: .

First, I like to address what good form is. Well that is debatable. There is no clear cut perfect form that is a "one size fits all". There is certainly ideas that should be utilized to perform a lift with efficiency. Such as keep the barbell balanced over mid foot on a squat or dead lift throughout a lift. Since we are all built with different proportions, this can be accomplished many ways with the lifters skill, proportions, load, etc are in mind.

Ideally we would prefer to have a lifter's back fully extended, braced with no flexion at all. That simple isn't possible in all cases depending on the lifter, training, load, etc..some upper lumbar flexion will happen at times and with proper load management, there shouldn't be a blanketed major concern in that regards.

If you wish to post a video of your barbell lift and have it critiqued by me.

1. I request the video to be recorded from a direct side view and a front view if possible.
2. Stating the RPE or percentage of your 1rm would be great.
3. I prefer to see multiple reps set instead of a one rep max.
4. Single reps<RPE 8 or 92% of your your e1rm is also fine.
5. Simple post the link of your youtube, IG, etc.. in your post and I will be happy to help you if possible. *(Google drive I have problems viewing)
6. Note if you have a recent injuries or training changes.

Everyone is welcome to post a video regardless of experience.

Good training to all!

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    edited September 2019
    I've been thinking about posting for a while, but I didn't have a side-on or front-on video.

Here's a set of 5 deadlifts at about 84% of my 1rm. I'd call it an 8 or an 8.5. No recent injuries, but I'm 2 weeks back into training after a 3 week holiday. I'd appreciate any comments you might have!

https://youtu.be/7oYId2PO9WY
  • Erik8484
    Thanks Chief, I appreciate the feedback! I'll try out the cue you suggested, see how it pans out.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Bump. Things that go bump in the night. Bump.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Just found this today . I’ll post some video next week. This is just what I need!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I'll play. The dead I felt like I was going to pitch forward on. 355 lbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFOkdQUSoPE

And the grindiest squat ever, for fun. 260ish, I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0mRGB1T1g

With your pull I would hazard this was at the end of your session and/or fatigue involved but that is just speculation. It's worth noting if so and understanding it's okay and normal to have blips.

1. I would like to see your hips about a half inch to possibly a inch higher from start position. This would be the hip height when the barbell broke the floor(your strongest position). To achieve this I would cue you to "touch" the barbell with shins. You are pushing the barbell slightly out from midfoot with your shins. When you push it forward, your knees have to move back into a more vertical position and the barbell can float and pull you on your toes. Once again "touch".
    2. You basically lost balance and got on your toes. It appears you were losing air/tightness right before the stutter at the top and had to breath in again to lock out. Try to take in "big air" or "fill your belt" and hold to the top without releasing. Once again, this could be a result of fatigue....I'm not sure being I'm seeing only one rep here.
    3. I would also cue you to gaze out in front just a bit more instead of looking down and then up as you pull. Something maybe to try and see how it feels.

As far as your squat, I would assume this a 2nd or 3rrd attempt and more than likely meet PR? This makes any adjustments obsolete since when we displaying maximal effort. We are doing whatever it takes to perform the lift within rules and as far as lift itself, you were patient and held position with great fight.

Being picky pre-lift, I would say be more deliberate with your walk out and use less steps. Less energy we use before we start the more we have to perform the squat. It's not bad, just could use polish. Practice it on every squat from warmup to top and it will be optimal in time.

These are all very minor adjustments but could help you. I invite you to try them one at a time over many sessions instead of thinking about too many cues before a lift.

All in all great stuff you have there and yes I'm picking on the little things because the big ones look solid.

Let me know how it goes :smile: .
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Thanks, @chieflrg. You’re right on both, and saying things I knew but always need reminded on.
  • quiksylver296
    edited September 2019
    This is fun. Want to tear up my bench? Five sets of one at RPE 8. 154.3 lbs, this was the third set of one, IIRC.

Note: I've developed glute med tendonopathy in my right hip, and a cortisone shot scheduled for Thursday. The hip is affecting my set-up, specifically my leg drive.

https://youtu.be/3yi9llcA9QE
  • Chieflrg
    This is fun. Want to tear up my bench? Five sets of one at RPE 8. 154.3 lbs, this was the third set of one, IIRC.

Note: I've developed glute med tendonopathy in my right hip, and a cortisone shot scheduled for Thursday. The hip is affecting my set-up, specifically my leg drive.

Near perfect single @8.

I "might" flirt with a slightly higher touch point if I saw a multiple rep set that was near identical reps. Anywhere from .25-.5 of a inch just going by this speck of footage. With only one rep footage, we call it it good rep!

On a side note I had that exact tendonaphy in my left hip after my last meet.

I decided to rehab it instead of the cort-shot because current evidence showing more long term success when comparing a year after. It took about seven months of load management. Hope the shot takes well for you!
  • quiksylver296
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Near perfect single @8.

I "might" flirt with a slightly higher touch point if I saw a multiple rep set that was near identical reps. Anywhere from .25-.5 of a inch just going by this speck of footage. With only one rep footage, we call it it good rep!

I decided to rehab it instead of the cort-shot because current evidence showing more long term success when comparing a year after. It took about seven months of load management. Hope the shot takes well for you!

Rehab is going to happen, too. The shot is because we're so close to Nats.
  • quiksylver296
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Near perfect single @8.

RE the bolded: Touch point being where it touches on my chest?
  • Chieflrg
    Yes, chest. Higher being towards your head ever so slightly. Once again its unclear with a single rep to judge. Just something if I saw repetively I might try to adjust and see how things move/feel.
  • allother94
    How do you post videos?
  • Erik8484
    allother94 wrote: »
    How do you post videos?

For me, the easiest way was to upload the video to YouTube and then post the link here.
  • allother94
    Thanks so much! I’ll practice this for a few weeks and post again!
  • Erik8484
    In the interests of keeping you busy (and helping my squat), would you mind providing comments on my squat? These clips are of 2 reps @ about 91% of my 1rm, and 5 reps @ about 84% of my 1rm.

I don't think it's too bad in these videos, but I feel like you can see the bar glide forward over my toes as I hit depth (particularly in the side on video), and I feel the weight shift onto my toes from time to time (particularly as I fatigue), but I'm not sure how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/KhMl0fDyRkE
    https://youtu.be/hqG6i0c4Cbs