Why Carbs Make Us Fat...

Options
12346»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    The article has some pretty good points, but a link at the bottom of the page to a forthcoming book by Pilon sort of pings my woo-meter and makes me doubt his credibility: https://clkbooks.com/gbbb/exclusive/original/?hop=esenews&utm_source=bradpilon.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=underpost-ad

Oh, man, that is bad.

It makes me feel validated in supporting the theory - over on another thread - that gut microbiome is the next big upcoming diet fad, though. ;)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I eat 700grams of Carbs a day. Don’t blame Carbs.

He’s not blaming carbs. He’s blaming overeating. The headline was click-bate. If the article was called “Why Convenience Foods Make Us Fat” no one would bat an eyelash...

Except we continue to see people who avoid carbs (including, in some cases, veg and fruit) saying the article is oh so true, so I'd argue that the focus on "carbs" especially for foods that are really as much fat, backfired if the author merely wanted to make a point about overeating and to say carbs should not be demonized.

People see and read into it what they want to. I can only control what I say, I can not control what you hear...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

He’s not blaming carbs. He’s blaming overeating. The headline was click-bate. If the article was called “Why Convenience Foods Make Us Fat” no one would bat an eyelash...

Except we continue to see people who avoid carbs (including, in some cases, veg and fruit) saying the article is oh so true, so I'd argue that the focus on "carbs" especially for foods that are really as much fat, backfired if the author merely wanted to make a point about overeating and to say carbs should not be demonized.

People see and read into it what they want to. I can only control what I say, I can not control what you hear...

Worth noting what people read into it, especially given current fads.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    As someone who eats low carb I didn't think that article was aimed at me at all -- it read like generic, sound advice. "Occasionally say no to carbs (aka junk food as described in the article)... I want you to eat carbs... just don't overeat." was my take away. That sounded perfectly reasonable to me when I read it the first time.

This thread really has been interesting reading what everyone focused on and took away from that blog. Of course the drink-orange-juice-to-rid-yourself-of-the-obesity-toxins scam makes everything people were objecting too earlier in the thread jump out at me now and I can clearly see it was worded to draw in all the faddy diet searches and clicks.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Good piece.

One of the reasons I've transitioned to a carnivore way if eating is because it is so much harder to overeat meat. By removing the delicious, easy to overeat carbs it has simplified my maintenance plan and for the first time in years I'm not struggling.

Eating meat and fats like butter/ghee are boring. It's not fun, it's not exciting. I don't look forward to meal time anymore, I don't look forward to snacking. Social events no longer revolve around food. I no longer get the emotional 'high' from eating, I don't make recipes or bake anymore. But for me it's worth the trade off for what I've gained in return. We each need to find our own way :)

Each to their own but I find this post sad because I find that a diet that is not enjoyable is not sustainable. A diet that is not sustainable will result in a regain of weight as I will find it all too hard and will merely go back to what I was eating and enjoying. In saying that I am very much a moderator rather than an abstainer so come from this viewpoint.

80% of people that lose weight, regain it within a couple of years so to be one of the 20% you are most successful with finding a way of eating you can happily and easily stick with for life.

This will be my last response to this thread, but to reiterate-I'm already many years into maintenance. I maintained for YEARS doing to whole 'eat what you like in moderation' thing, along with counting and tracking calories and weighing out my food.

And it worked-until it didn't anymore. More and more I struggled with the tracking, the counting, the weight creeps that happened regularly even though I was doing all the numbers 'right'. More and more I had to restrict calories to try and get the weight to settle down into my maintenance range again.

I came into this year over 10lbs above my maintenance range. I really buckled down and lost a few pounds, and then it started creeping back up again-at this point I was tracking my calories on two sites and I was using my food scale on everything. This is when I started realizing that this whole process had become distorted and unhealthy for me. I was exhausted. Frustrated. Seeing years and years of work and progress slip away.

This is also the time when I started having perimenopause symptoms, which caused issues with my sleep etc. The physical changes that were starting, coupled with the mental exhaustion from the years of tracking and counting calories, hit me really hard and I knew I was at a point where I needed to reevaluate and make significant changes to my maintenance plan.

What I'm doing now is working well for me, for this time of my life. I'm now maintaining successfully again and I've corrected the weight creep that I struggled with, without having to constantly think about the darn numbers :p My doctor is aware of what I'm doing and I had a check-in and some blood-work done recently and everything is good. I'll have more blood work done in a few months because I want to keep an eye on my numbers, and if needed I'll adjust things as I go along.

OP-sorry my response ended up hi-jacking your thread, I read the article and thought it was really good :)

@SarahAnne3958

You are not alone! The only time in my life I weighed into the 'overweight' range was in menopause and in pregnancy. Never doubt the efficacy of hormonal imbalance to throw things out of kilter. Saying that, I was able to lose that weight after menopause symptoms settled down and keep in the 'healthy bmi zone' for 12 years, except for two months when a life unsettlement issue got to be more than I could handle. After that I've maintained again for years.

It is possible to keep healthy. So keep tracking and be sure to eat all your maintenance calories ( a balanced diet ) and give yourself some good excersize at this time in your life.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options

But that applies to you too - it isnt only other people who have confirmation bias.

Have you considered the possibility that you are doing some reading into it what you want to as well?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

But that applies to you too - it isnt only other people who have confirmation bias.

Have you considered the possibility that you are doing some reading into it what you want to as well?

Absolutely.