Underrated foods?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Fiber one cereal. Underrated.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Underrated (maybe not, but not common): Sturgeon. I'm a former Pacific Northwest guy, so almost all seafood is awesome.

Also underrated (only because it's not possible to rate it high enough): Copper River salmon - the best on the market (it's seasonal, so not available all the time).

Overrated? Tilapia. Rye bread. Yuck. Yumm

I thought I liked you, really liked you.......... until the last sentence. :)

I like you just fine. In fact, you can have my rye bread. The "yuck" was meant for that.

Tilapia's fine, just seems like nothingness with protein. I'll eat it - just nothing special.
  • pancakerunner
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Underrated (maybe not, but not common): Sturgeon. I'm a former Pacific Northwest guy, so almost all seafood is awesome.

Also underrated (only because it's not possible to rate it high enough): Copper River salmon - the best on the market (it's seasonal, so not available all the time).

Overrated? Tilapia. Rye bread. Yuck. Yumm

I thought I liked you, really liked you.......... until the last sentence. :)

I like you just fine. In fact, you can have my rye bread. The "yuck" was meant for that.

Tilapia's fine, just seems like nothingness with protein. I'll eat it - just nothing special.

I'm a sucker for a good blackened tilapia...
  • Kiwis! WITH SKIN ON. That's where the fiber is. Suck it up and eat the hair if you have to!! LOL
  • pancakerunner
    Kiwis! WITH SKIN ON. That's where the fiber is. Suck it up and eat the hair if you have to!! LOL

NOPE
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Kiwis! WITH SKIN ON. That's where the fiber is. Suck it up and eat the hair if you have to!! LOL

Agreed. The skin is fine. I don't get the antipathy.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

It's furry. I won't even eat fuzzy peaches.
  • pancakerunner

It's furry. I won't even eat fuzzy peaches.

Oh, I LOVE fuzzy peaches.
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Not really a "food" per se, but a highly underrated food COMBO is lemon + dark chocolate.
    Lemon and dark chocolate is amazing. I’d never thought of that combo until I tried Missionary chocolates dark chocolate lemon truffle at the farmers market. Amazing! Google Missionary Chocolates Portland and check out their website. Expensive but worth it!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I don't think chicken, rice, and broccoli are underrated. I think eating them to the exclusion of other just as good foods is overrated by some, and I wouldn't want to eat it every day, so I would accept "eating chicken, rice, and broccoli nearly every day" as underrated (although I would not agree, I think it's current rating is about right).

When I go into a cut I tend to eat pretty much the same things at the same times every day. It's easy, efficient, and extremely effective.

Is this just plain roasted/grilled/broiled/poached chicken, steamed broccoli, and brown rice? I mean I could probably eat chicken, broccoli (steamed or roasted), and rice every day. That said, just plain chicken wouldn't do it for me, not for long at least. Not when there are so many ways to make chicken (I eat a lot of chicken).

My trick? I work outdoors and have to pack a lunch. Doesn't matter if I am sick of it or not, I eat what I bring or I go hungry.

I bring a lunch when I'm not at home for lunch. That doesn't mean that I am going to deprive myself of variety.
  • aokoye
    RachellaJ wrote: »
    Not really a "food" per se, but a highly underrated food COMBO is lemon + dark chocolate.
    Lemon and dark chocolate is amazing. I’d never thought of that combo until I tried Missionary chocolates dark chocolate lemon truffle at the farmers market. Amazing! Google Missionary Chocolates Portland and check out their website. Expensive but worth it!

Hm, I don't think they're at the farmers market I typically go to (the one at PSU), but next time I'm at Barbur World Foods/World Foods I'll see if they have that flavor.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Here is something I bet most of you have never had....monkfish. One of the ugliest, slimiest, most creepy creatures from the ocean but some of the best tasting fish ever. (the tail) I worked commercial fishing back in the 80s . We primarily caught scallops, but many monkfish came up with the nets too. We'd filet them right on deck with the scallops.
    Rosis-Monkfish.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    RachellaJ wrote: »

Someone once brought me a hostess gift of candied lemon peel covered in dark chocolate.
  • aokoye
    Here is something I bet most of you have never had....monkfish. One of the ugliest, slimiest, most creepy creatures from the ocean but some of the best tasting fish ever. (the tail) I worked commercial fishing back in the 80s . We primarily caught scallops, but many monkfish came up with the nets too. We'd filet them right on deck with the scallops.
    Rosis-Monkfish.jpg

I'm almost positive I've had monkfish. I've never cooked it myself, but it's easy enough to get at nicer restaurants here.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Dates
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Rosis-Monkfish.jpg

I'm almost positive I've had monkfish. I've never cooked it myself, but it's easy enough to get at nicer restaurants here.

Yeah, I've had it at restaurants too, not that uncommon here either. I have not cooked it either -- however, there was an early season of Top Chef that involved the cheftestants cooking it for kids that was kind of memorable.
  • pancakerunner
    I can't understand why more people don't love Fig Newtons.

I LOVE fig newtons! the original

Same. I love them too! An ice cream shop near me makes a fig newton goat cheese ice cream... Now I'm craving it. haha
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member

Same. I love them too! An ice cream shop near me makes a fig newton goat cheese ice cream... Now I'm craving it. haha

Fig newtons + cheese + wine = food nirvana
  • pancakerunner

Fig newtons + cheese + wine = food nirvana

who disagreed.