Why didn't you get married?

Options
1235»

Replies

• isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Well he won’t agree that we should have a black accent wall in our dining room so I’m really not sure he’s the one anymore.

.... what if he's right ??

:o
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Possibly because I became a cynical *kitten*. Still don’t wanna get married, I don’t think that formality is necessary. Plus when *kitten* goes south, which if you look at the statistics...it usually does it’s incredibly ugly from legal perspectives. But I must confess an admiration for those that do make it work and have happy families. Maybe one day, someone will change my mind
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Possibly because I became a cynical *kitten*. Still don’t wanna get married, I don’t think that formality is necessary. Plus when *kitten* goes south, which if you look at the statistics...it usually does it’s incredibly ugly from legal perspectives. But I must confess an admiration for those that do make it work and have happy families. Maybe one day, someone will change my mind

I agree with all of this except the last sentence
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

It depends on the people. My divorce was easy. We divorced online. $300. Done. Granted, we had a short marriage, and never really combined anything. That was part of the reason for divorce. haha There was zero partnership. But it was amicable, we are still friendly (easy when living 3000 miles away from each other), and there were zero harsh words and/or ugly incidents.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    Because no one has asked me to. 🤷

What she said
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »

It depends on the people. My divorce was easy. We divorced online. $300. Done. Granted, we had a short marriage, and never really combined anything. That was part of the reason for divorce. haha There was zero partnership. But it was amicable, we are still friendly (easy when living 3000 miles away from each other), and there were zero harsh words and/or ugly incidents.

Yeah, I agree tinak33. My divorce followed a 9.5 year marriage and we had real estate and investments and it was still just $500 (in-person attorney) because everything was agreed upon and fairly simple to divide. I was pretty annoyed with him but we never really "fought" and it was definitely an amicable divorce. After briefly working in a divorce attorney's office, I do think kids usually complicate matters and make any divorce FAR more expensive - but we didn't have kids.

Earlier in this thread, or maybe another recent marriage-related thread (sorry I'm not sure)...someone mentioned living together (without marriage) being great because you wake up every day knowing that person chooses to stay with you. It basically said that if you're not married, you have the choice every day to just leave with minimal complications. For most cohabiting couples, I don't think that is true at all. I think most (not all) couples who live together are somewhat tied in together whether financially, socially, or even just smaller things like a shared pet and/or lease. I think it's more similar to marriage in all senses, if not legally binding. I think most couples who live together have almost as hard a time splitting as a no kids divorce.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,333 Member
    Options
    I agree @seltzermint555. My roommate and I have lived together since 1999. We share no romantic relationship, but everything is jointly owned...vehicles, houses, etc. If we were to split, I'm sure it would be no different than a divorce when it comes down to dividing things up. Who buys whom out? Not to mention the 2 dogs who would freak out if separated because they are brothers. I could not split them up.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Well he won’t agree that we should have a black accent wall in our dining room so I’m really not sure he’s the one anymore.

.... what if he's right ??

He isn’t.
  • ColdDawning
    ColdDawning Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I really hate sharing bed.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    ro175 wrote: »
    I didn’t get married the second time because of the first time.

And I'm not getting married the third time, because of the other two times :smiley:

This.. :laugh:
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Whenever I think of why I never married, I feel sad. I've been engaged once, shacked up with two nice women but never got to marry either of them. I'm 55. I'm going to live with my girlfriend next year. I have a 3 year rule, I'll never propose unless I have lived with a woman for 3 years. That means I'll likely be almost 60 before I get married for the first time.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    I think that's a good rule to have. Makes sure you really want to live a l ok long time with someone. And forces you to test your relationship.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

Earlier in this thread, or maybe another recent marriage-related thread (sorry I'm not sure)...someone mentioned living together (without marriage) being great because you wake up every day knowing that person chooses to stay with you. It basically said that if you're not married, you have the choice every day to just leave with minimal complications. For most cohabiting couples, I don't think that is true at all. I think most (not all) couples who live together are somewhat tied in together whether financially, socially, or even just smaller things like a shared pet and/or lease. I think it's more similar to marriage in all senses, if not legally binding. I think most couples who live together have almost as hard a time splitting as a no kids divorce.

I'm really gunshy. I've cohabited three times since my divorce and I've been careful to keep the legal stuff separate. I owned the house and the pets, no joint finances.
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    None of them were deserving or worth that level of commitment.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Because he had too many double standards, was controlling, and the relationship affected my mental health.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Just have fun with this. It can be real things that happened to you or just reasons you have for not getting married.

She was that person who claps when the plane lands.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1. Never wanted kids. Didn't see a reason.
    2. I was having too much fun on my own.
    3. Love being independent. Like to travel alone.
    4. As my friends got married, they became boring...
    5. Have a hard time compromising.

Finally took the plunge one month and nine days after my 60th birthday. That was four years ago. Still trying to find my sea legs - LOL.
  • lorri71
    lorri71 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Because he was with someone else...he drank too much...he was a liar...inconsiderate...selfish...Looks like I made the right decision! 😄