In your 60’s

Replies

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    There are targeted hip exercises that could help. I learned them in PT and continue doing them today, except I do them in pool where I am comfortable. Will share them if you like.
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    @geraldaltman, thanks for the great encouragement and yes I did read about your hip replacements. Honestly, the whole idea creeps me out but if that's what it takes I will do it. This has been going on for most of this year and I think I have it under control and then it just comes back with a vengeance. I won't know anything until next month but I do trust the Orthopedic office I go to. They helped me with a broken foot, frozen shoulder and a super bad knee. I will try anything before surgery but if that's what I need I'll do it. I'm afraid of the pain stuff though because I literally can't take any kind of pain meds..................but I'm totally into the PT part of it.
  • fitlulu4150
    There are targeted hip exercises that could help. I learned them in PT and continue doing them today, except I do them in pool where I am comfortable. Will share them if you like.

Yes please, I have a very cold pool right now in my backyard but I have used the pool at my gym many times.
  • fitlulu4150
    On post hip replacement pain: it was, at least for me was minimal and well managed so pain neds was easily terminated when appropriate. In fact many times, I would be asked what my pain level was and I would have to embellish because nurses and aides were not allowed to record zero. I am sure that is a testament to "robotically assisted" surgeries as my hip replacements were. Don't get me wrong, there was some pain but it was never much or for very long, again at least for me 😊

Okay, since I have a high tolerance for pain I think I could do that with the same experience.
  • geraldaltman
    @geraldaltman, thanks for the great encouragement and yes I did read about your hip replacements. Honestly, the whole idea creeps me out but if that's what it takes I will do it. This has been going on for most of this year and I think I have it under control and then it just comes back with a vengeance. I won't know anything until next month but I do trust the Orthopedic office I go to. They helped me with a broken foot, frozen shoulder and a super bad knee. I will try anything before surgery but if that's what I need I'll do it. I'm afraid of the pain stuff though because I literally can't take any kind of pain meds..................but I'm totally into the PT part of it.
    Yes trust your orthopedic and if surgery is warranted, you pre-op preparation will be thorough and your issues with pain meds will be known and worked around. That and the tailored team approach that was my surgeries kept me calm and made it fairly easy.
  • fitlulu4150
    @geraldaltman, thanks again, I'll see what they say in 4 weeks.....I trust them not to rush into surgery which gives me confidence too. I've had two friends recently who suffered from bursitis in their hip and the cortisone shot took care of it............I'm hoping for that but if that isn't an option I'll do what I have to!
  • geraldaltman

Yes please, I have a very cold pool right now in my backyard but I have used the pool at my gym many times.

My PT/trainers had me doing these exercise in 3 sets of 12 repetitions. Over time, I have increased these to 50 reps. Only do what can comfortably do.
    Hip Abductors:
    Steadying yourself near pool wall, standing straight move a leg to side as far as comfortably possible and back. Alternate legs.
    Hip Flexions:
    Near wall standing so you won't kick wall or someone, move each leg backward as far as comfortable and return, alternate legs.
    Hip Extensions: Same position only move leg forward as high as comfort allows, alternate legs.
    Squats:
    Standing in shallowest part of pool you do basic squats. These are actually pretty easy in water.
    Deadlifts:
    You will need a resistance device if pool has any. Bend down at the waist then straighten up using back and butt muscle to straighten. (Be careful if you have back issues, good exercise if done this way though.)
    Marching:
    Just like marching, either in place or up down pool. I've started using foam dumbells during this.
    Push Pull:
    With resistance device in deeper water push forward and pull back under surface.

• geraldaltman
    edited October 2019
    @geraldaltman, thanks again, I'll see what they say in 4 weeks.....I trust them not to rush into surgery which gives me confidence too. I've had two friends recently who suffered from bursitis in their hip and the cortisone shot took care of it............I'm hoping for that but if that isn't an option I'll do what I have to!

Don't mistake, I do hope you find good non-surgical solution. I think what might be well in your favor is that you appear to have NOT waited nearly as long as I did (years and years of denial and fear) to seek attention. I remain convinced my hesitation eliminated all non-surgical options. Just know that if you face the same option, it will be totally worth it! 😊
  • fitlulu4150
    Thanks for the help and I'll try all those!
  • geraldaltman

My PT/trainers had me doing these exercise in 3 sets of 12 repetitions. Over time, I have increased these to 50 reps. Only do what can comfortably do.
    Hip Abductors:
    Steadying yourself near pool wall, standing straight move a leg to side as far as comfortably possible and back. Alternate legs.
    Hip Flexions:
    Near wall standing so you won't kick wall or someone, move each leg backward as far as comfortable and return, alternate legs.
    Hip Extensions: Same position only move leg forward as high as comfort allows, alternate legs.
    Squats:
    Standing in shallowest part of pool you do basic squats. These are actually pretty easy in water.
    Deadlifts:
    You will need a resistance device if pool has any. Bend down at the waist then straighten up using back and butt muscle to straighten. (Be careful if you have back issues, good exercise if done this way though.)
    Marching:
    Just like marching, either in place or up down pool. I've started using foam dumbells during this.
    Push Pull:
    With resistance device in deeper water push forward and pull back under surface.

Also if the pools you use have steps rather than ladder to get in and out of, they can be used for step exercise assuming there is hand rail to keep from slipping or falling.
  • fitlulu4150
    Thanks, yes it has steps with a hand rail.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    My sister in law finally had hip replacement last month. She was in SO much pain for a long time. First she didn't want to have surgery, when she did, her Dr said she must lose some weight before she has it. Her face showed the pain she was in & she could hardly even walk with a cane. She said the pain left when she woke up from surgery, she had minimal pain from recovering but she feels SO much better. I know I shared this before but I do recommend turmeric for inflammation, it may not help for some things but for regular aches from arthritis, it can't be beat.
  • geraldaltman
    Evamutt wrote: »
    My sister in law finally had hip replacement last month. She was in SO much pain for a long time. First she didn't want to have surgery, when she did, her Dr said she must lose some weight before she has it. Her face showed the pain she was in & she could hardly even walk with a cane. She said the pain left when she woke up from surgery, she had minimal pain from recovering but she feels SO much better. I know I shared this before but I do recommend turmeric for inflammation, it may not help for some things but for regular aches from arthritis, it can't be beat.
    I took a product that had tumeric in it...it didn't do jack squat for me. I don't trust tumeric or the advice to take it. Sister in law made the correct choice in hip replacement surgery. Happy for her relief.
  • fitlulu4150
    Thanks for the encouragement both of you. I've modified my workouts so as not to aggravate the hip and will try to stay pain free enough to still get my walks in with my dog. I've left squats, deadlifts and leg presses out of my normal workouts so hopefully that will help. I'm going to focus on upper body and just a few strengthening leg exercises that don't seem to hurt my hip and then a lot of stretching. I can't sit still for the next 4 weeks lol.

I've tried both tumeric and ginger supplements but they both made me sick. I do take glucosamine for arthritis based on the recommendation of my doctor for my knee and it seems to have helped. My knee hasn't really bothered me in over 2 years.

• tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,264 Member
    My right knee is bone on bone and I know eventually I will have to have knee replacement surgery. I walked with a very bad limp because I only had about 5% bend in that knee. I am totally into essential oils!. Two years ago I discovered the anti-inflammatory benefits of Cinnamon and Frankincense oils. I started using a blend of one drop of Cinnamon, two drops Frankincense, and a dab of coconut oil rubbed all over my knee. I still can't bend it all the way back, but I no longer limp!! The doctor said I probably will never bend it all the way because I have shortened the muscles up the back of my leg.
  • fitlulu4150
    @tuddy315, I think we all have different supplements that may work for us. It's certainly worth a try to see what helps. Hopefully, you won't need the replacement surgery anytime soon!

I have a girlfriend whose son is into medical marijuana here big time and she's always pushing CBD products on me, but honestly I have zero interest. When my sister was living with us, dying from throat cancer. she tried all of it and none of it really helped TBH. Perhaps there's a place for it for some people, our hospice nurse thought it might be helpful, but so far I haven't really seen the benefits. My friend herself has been taking the vitamins for a couple of years and still needed a shot of cortisone in her hip for bursitis......hmmmmm

I think the best thing I can do is to remain active without aggravating the injuries I do have. I'm still hoping for the cortisone shot but if nothing else works I'll opt for surgery if it's a last resort...............lol

• tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,264 Member
    I think everybody's bodies react differently to different stuff. There is a girl here at work that buys Melrose from me all the time. It is good for healing cuts and scrapes mainly on her horses. She decided to try it on herself and she swears it is a miracle oil. I have seen her put it on a cut on her finger and by the end of the day, you could not tell there was a cut there. I have tried it myself......nothing!!! I do also have a couple of CBD products that I use. One is for calming which I roll on my neck before bed. It does help me sleep but I think it's because I smell the lavender in it. The other is a rub I use on my wrist when my Carpal tunnel is acting up. But again, I think it's because of the menthol in it....lol.

I had cortisone shots in my heels for heel spurs when I was in my 20's. I have always worn inserts in my shoes ever since and have never had anymore problems with heel spurs.

Have you been through physical therapy? I hope you don't have to have surgery.
  • fitlulu4150
    Thanks for the info tuddy315. I did do a month of PT with the trainer I see at my gym occasionally. He's also a Physical Therapist and helped me quite a bit for awhile but it never really went away. It's not so much that it's painful, I can live with it, but it feels like it's going to collapse on me and I'm worried about falling if my leg gives out. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the docs say next month and take it a little easier on myself in the meantime.

I made it to the gym yesterday and got a nice workout in without causing myself too much pain and was able to walk my dog a couple of miles this morning so I'll that that for now. Back to the gym tomorrow just doing what I can to stay strong and mobile.

Have a great week everyone!
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »

One other thing to note about turmeric that may be supportive is that forms that are hydro-soluble absorb better. There are many challenges with turmeric absorbing in the intestinal tract.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Have not been very active here lately. Chasing that pup around is keeping me busy. And a little tired. HAHA! :D

Keep it moving, my friends!

4udje0nepaim.jpg