In your 60’s

Options

Replies

• 4Linda0
    4Linda0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Going out of town in a few days to visit family. Planning to pick up some healthy breakfast ideas. Am concerned about dinners at restaurants. Pre-checked the menus & I’m going to need to be creative. Maybe order a salad with chicken or fish? Dressing on the side?

Do you all have any thoughts on this?

There will be lots of walking to burn off some of the calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    4Linda0 wrote: »
    Going out of town in a few days to visit family. Planning to pick up some healthy breakfast ideas. Am concerned about dinners at restaurants. Pre-checked the menus & I’m going to need to be creative. Maybe order a salad with chicken or fish? Dressing on the side?

Do you all have any thoughts on this?

There will be lots of walking to burn off some of the calories.

Many restaurants will give you simple things not on the menu, like a vegetable plate or a simpler preparation of meat/fish. Ask politely, the worst that can happen is they'll say "no". :)

I've been vegetarian for 45 years, so I've asked for modifications often, especially years back when vegetarian items on menus were less common.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My sister does plant based, no oils & on a recent cruise, she asked about this. They "bent over backwards", lol, to accomodate her wishes. Her food looked better than what was on the menu, lol.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    "Walking, swimming, running, and a bit of resistance training about 6 to 9 hours a week can make a world of difference in your mobility, ability to bounce back from injuries, as well as overall health markers".

I had no clue yesterday when I wrote this that I would live the words this morning LOL. I totally tripped on my way into the gym and landed completely spread eagle on the ground. My left knee and right wrist and thumb broke my fall but neither of them broke. I honestly credit the work I do at the gym as well as hiking and swimming with my ability to bounce back. I even went on and got a decent workout in. I'm sore but not broken. A lot of women my age (69) are just one fall away from a wheelchair or hip surgery.

I might just be lucky but I like to think I'm also prepared................... ;)

I haven't yet, but had a couple of "near misses". Frankly, I am terrified of falling despite my exercising; terrified over how falls might affect or damage the implanted hips! Hope I don't find out anytime soon.
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    @geraldaltman, yes be careful with those new hips. I've always been an accident waiting to happen and honestly, I'm always shocked when I fall.............LOL

My family nicknamed me Grace for a reason I guess.
  • geraldaltman
    Options
    @geraldaltman, yes be careful with those new hips. I've always been an accident waiting to happen and honestly, I'm always shocked when I fall.............LOL

I hear you. As a boy, I drew a less graceful nickname..."un-co-ordinated plus". I had a tendacy to trip when there was nothing visible nearby to trip over, 🤣
  • fitlulu4150
    Options

I hear you. As a boy, I drew a less graceful nickname..."un-co-ordinated plus". I had a tendacy to trip when there was nothing visible nearby to trip over, 🤣

LOL, I didn't see anything to trip over this morning other than my own two feet............so embarrassing!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    Today I had to take my client to her Dr's appt for lab follow up. This is the 4th wednesday in a row for Dr's, ugh. anyway, I usually take her to Starbucks after so the last few times I've been eating lunch there. Their food is good & fairly low cal. I had a little bit of Tilapia fish for breakfast (I know) & a chicken panini at Starbucks. It filled me up. Normally I don't like eating out at all & try to avoid it but their food seems to agree with me
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

LOL, I didn't see anything to trip over this morning other than my own two feet............so embarrassing!

I trip a LOT and for a long time any trip landed me face down on a scraped knee. Sometimes I land with my arms tucked under me and my nose just above the ground! Since doing water aerobics my balance has improved and reflexes too. I still trip a lot on cracks in the sidewalk or over my own feet?? but I don't fall as much. I find that I trip usually if I am trying to hurry or just trying to walk faster and my one foot drags.
  • fitlulu4150
    Options
    @pacsnc6, I think I'm pretty lucky that I didn't hurt myself worse yesterday. I trip a lot too but generally have good enough reflexes that I don't actually fall. Yesterday totally freaked me out and I even remember thinking on the way down that I might be in trouble..............LOL

You're right we probably just need to slow down our pace and pay attention to where we're going! :)
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Today I had to take my client to her Dr's appt for lab follow up. This is the 4th wednesday in a row for Dr's, ugh. anyway, I usually take her to Starbucks after so the last few times I've been eating lunch there. Their food is good & fairly low cal. I had a little bit of Tilapia fish for breakfast (I know) & a chicken panini at Starbucks. It filled me up. Normally I don't like eating out at all & try to avoid it but their food seems to agree with me

Sounds like you had a lovely time
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    @pacsnc6, I think I'm pretty lucky that I didn't hurt myself worse yesterday. I trip a lot too but generally have good enough reflexes that I don't actually fall. Yesterday totally freaked me out and I even remember thinking on the way down that I might be in trouble..............LOL

You're right we probably just need to slow down our pace and pay attention to where we're going! :)

Right there with you!

I was walking down the dock after rowing not quite two weeks ago, tripped on a warped board, and did the full-body equivalent of a face-plant, landing hard mostly on my lower jaw and ribcage. The only difference from your account was that I don't remember thinking anything on the way down, it was so quick. Gouged a chunk out of my inside lip on one of my teeth, internally-bruised the bejeepers out of my ribcage (still hurts), and felt profoundly grateful that - as a woman already diagnosed osteopenic - that nothing actual seems to have broken. Whew!

Also glad I wasn't carrying a boat or oars at the time!

Now being much more careful . . . . ;)
  • annliz23
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Right there with you!

I was walking down the dock after rowing not quite two weeks ago, tripped on a warped board, and did the full-body equivalent of a face-plant, landing hard mostly on my lower jaw and ribcage. The only difference from your account was that I don't remember thinking anything on the way down, it was so quick. Gouged a chunk out of my inside lip on one of my teeth, internally-bruised the bejeepers out of my ribcage (still hurts), and felt profoundly grateful that - as a woman already diagnosed osteopenic - that nothing actual seems to have broken. Whew!

Also glad I wasn't carrying a boat or oars at the time!

Now being much more careful . . . . ;)

Glad others trip too I was beginning to think it was only me lol
  • geraldaltman
    Options
    Doesn't involve tripping, though I probably did! As a boy we played ballgames (and other activities) in a large field behind our house. It was rectangular right field was about 100 feet away from home and left field about 980! One time a "pop-up" fly ball was hit my way--I GOT! I GOT IT!! I scream. I got it alright...right between the eyes! Broke my glasses and cut my nose. Guess who was sent to "deep" left field next time he was allowed to play? 🤣
  • annliz23
    Options
    @AnnPT77 thank goodness it wasn't any worse. I guess we just need to keep our head down when we walk lol, but then we'll probably walk into a post or something............uggghhh. Hope the rib cage improves.

I work with a trainer occasionally, he's a former Marine and I've worked with him off and on since 2014. He's also a Physical Therapist and is in nursing school so fairly knowledgeable about many physical issues. When I told him I fell he pulled me aside from my normal workout today and gave me some balance and mobility exercises to incorporate into my work at the gym. Many of them I can also do at home and in the pool...............I think he has a point. I'm quite strong but I'm still not as sure footed as I was when I was younger.

@geraldaltman I remember those kind of experiences as a kid too. I nearly ripped one of my toes off riding my bike barefooted..............LOL And I was great at climbing trees but terrified to come down.

Let's all make a pact...............no more falls, let's be more aware of our surroundings and try not to do anything stupid!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Mine are usually because I trip over the cats or the dogs either pull me over or knock me over but I still love them even though I have a bad hip knee and back now.
  • barbarajane22
    barbarajane22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies I hope your all having a good day.
    Those that have counted calories before, do you find you become more disciplined and more aware of what your eating.
    It’s so easy on Slimming World to eat so much, and I never lose the weight and keep it of?
    Diane

Hi, I'm 53 and have doing slimming world all my adult life on and off but got a lightbulb moment recently that it actually doesn't work long term as the only way to lose or maintain is to be in calorific deficit. You are never going to be able to eat the same as Betty who is sat next to you in class and lose the same amount of weight as every ones baseline is different. learn your own baseline and adjust it accordingly using calories.. no such thing as points/syns in food.. only calories