In your 60’s

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    13ilgal413 wrote: »
    Hi, all. Anyone else doing Couch to 5K? I had the app on my phone from ages ago and decided to give it a try again. First day is a mix of walking and short (1 minute) runs. 8 runs spread over 30 minutes with 1.5 minute walks in between. I made a playlist that is about 130 BPM and that is a nice push for the walking part and kind of slow for the running part. Day 1 felt pretty good. Woo hoo!

Good for you! I did C25K several years ago and had a blast, but stopped when I had some pain in my knee. I've picked up jogging again this year. Two tips from an MFP runner friend for new runners: don't run 2 days in a row and watch running the downhills (more impact on your body).

• fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    @13ilgal413, good luck on the C25K, I did something similar in 2016 and did great with it. Unfortunately, I don't run anymore but it's a great program!

@olblueiiii, welcome to the group and it sounds like you've had a lot going on. That must have been so painful. Good luck on your recovery and walking again!
  • fitlulu4150
    @annliz23, some days are just difficult to get through aren't they? So sorry about your Mum, a difficult time for your family and of course losing a pet is always terrible. Try to stay positive and find the bright side of things, it might be hidden but it's there if you search for it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    @annliz23, yes I think the memory games and word games are really important. I still work as well and most of it is with numbers as I'm the bookkeeper for our business. Between that, walking with my dog, hiking whenever I can and strength training at the gym, I think I'm doing the best I can for myself. It helps that I love doing all of it...........well, except for the bookkeeping, I could totally live without that..........LOL

I'm so happy for your mum and I'm sure she's inspired you!

I recently heard on a radio program that the research they've been doing for years has shown that 95% of Alzheimers developes in ppl who don't eat right & don't exercise over their lifetimes. only 5% comes about due to "other" like hereditary, scary
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I'm so sorry about your mum & dog @annliz23 , it must be so difficult. We only took care of my dad for 3 months in his home before he passed away, it was hard & stressful for just that short amount of time so my heart goes out to you
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I'm so sorry about your mum & dog @annliz23 , it must be so difficult. We only took care of my dad for 3 months in his home before he passed away, it was hard & stressful for just that short amount of time so my heart goes out to you

Thanks!
  • fitlulu4150
    Happy Weekend Everyone! It's Friday night and I'm pretty happy tonight because since I returned home from CO on Tuesday I've gotten a nice walk in with my poochie (Penny Lane) and 2 long workouts at the gym. I'll get her out for another, hopefully longer, walk with some hills either tomorrow or Sunday depending on the weather. Otherwise, this weekend I'm just buying a new pair of gym shoes, dinner out with hubby tomorrow and working on our taxes so we can file on Oct 15............uggghhhh

Hope you all have something more fun planned than I do...................LOL
  • annliz23
    Happy Weekend Everyone! It's Friday night and I'm pretty happy tonight because since I returned home from CO on Tuesday I've gotten a nice walk in with my poochie (Penny Lane) and 2 long workouts at the gym. I'll get her out for another, hopefully longer, walk with some hills either tomorrow or Sunday depending on the weather. Otherwise, this weekend I'm just buying a new pair of gym shoes, dinner out with hubby tomorrow and working on our taxes so we can file on Oct 15............uggghhhh

Hope you all have something more fun planned than I do...................LOL

Glad your back, enjoy walking Penny and your dinner.
  • Laurac1956
    Laurac1956 Posts: 3 Member
    63 here, just want to feel good and look good to me again.
  • fitlulu4150
    Laurac1956 wrote: »
    63 here, just want to feel good and look good to me again.

Good luck reaching your goals! We've all been there!

I read this and think it might be important to those of us losing the last few lbs, getting stronger at the gym, running/walking for health, or whatever you are doing to get healthy

It really does look like weight is lost in the kitchen and we may not be burning as many calories with exercise as we thought............bummer

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-you-shouldn-t-exercise-to-lose-weight-explained-with-60-studies?utm_source=pocket-newtab
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I turned 64 in May and decided that if nobody is gonna still need me or gonna still feed me, (like the Beatles sing...) then I had better get healthy so I can do it myself! I joined the app today, October 1, 2019.
    I'm not quite set up yet, but as I become so, will post numbers and such.
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol in 2005, and a few years later, with Diabetes. I have had chronic pain since 1978, so am not particularly active. Doctors said for years, "Wait until you are pain-free for six weeks and then begin an exercise regimen." Well duh... I haven't been pain free in so long, I don't know what it feels like. (have to laugh -- I always laugh because I refuse to cry).
    My new Primary Care Manager has made me feel like a welcome member of the team that is going to bring me into a new lifestyle of good nutrition and healthy activity that will enable me to enjoy my live much, much, more.

I found as I became 64, that there was no way I would ever "soar" without solving my pain issues. In my case it was a matter of undergoing hip replacements which I did at the beginning of the year. Once thru rehab and PT, it became smooth sailing and my discomfort diminished to normal things like exertion, banging a foot or cutting a finger. If your pain is anything treatable or fixable address that first, work with and trust your care team. Be sure of effectiveness, if they prescribe PT as a way to deal with PT. I tried that before thinking about surgery, to help hips and mobility. It didn't go well and because of my (unfounded) fear to look into surgery or even admit I needed it, I lived with that agony for another year and a half before finally deciding I'd had enough. It's been an amazing difference. I hope you figure things out and get rolling.
  • annliz23
    I feel down the stairs years ago trpping over my cat and hurt my back it's never been good since always plays up particularly when I was working in a school sitting on the small chairs was murder, I have had tablets and physio but It still pulls and goes from doing too much, knees not good since i feel on the ice skating with my daughter the doctor told me they were fractured and would always be rubbish ( such helpful man), then my poodle knocked me over and hurt my hip again tablets and physio but still painful most days. I have found exercise helps my back loads mainly the stretching ones I do daily. I change my ecercise routines to fit around how I am feeling as I cant do jumping ones but stepping ones are ok if my knee is not too bad, ab ones if joints are too sore at about trying new things. I don't diet but tweak my meals to keep under my 1200 calories drink more water and aim to be healthier as my family has a history of dementia, I think it's important to be active. I also do brain games scrabble, word seraches to keep my mind focused too.

Good luck with your journey, be positive and have fun.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Hope everyone is having a great week!
    64 year old female here from NC
    Lost 74lbs in 2015. Maintained about two and a half years. Gained 40 lbs back. Back losing again. I’ve lost 16 pounds and I’m exercising regularly. I’ve had an emotional day or so this week which normally results in sugar/salt binges. I’ve felt really good that I’ve managed to deal with the emotions by acknowledging them, and not allowing them to affect my diet. It doesn’t always work out that way!
    I’ve felt good walking early each day before it’s too hot. I’ve also tried eating breakfast around 11, lunch between 1 and 2, and finishing dinner and a snack no later than 7. It seems to help with the after dinner snack monster! I’m a work in progress!
  • annliz23
    swim777 wrote: »
    Lost 74lbs in 2015. Maintained about two and a half years. Gained 40 lbs back. Back losing again. I’ve lost 16 pounds and I’m exercising regularly. I’ve had an emotional day or so this week which normally results in sugar/salt binges. I’ve felt really good that I’ve managed to deal with the emotions by acknowledging them, and not allowing them to affect my diet. It doesn’t always work out that way!
    I’ve felt good walking early each day before it’s too hot. I’ve also tried eating breakfast around 11, lunch between 1 and 2, and finishing dinner and a snack no later than 7. It seems to help with the after dinner snack monster! I’m a work in progress!

Sound like you have a plan and know yourself well, its tral and error and always changing to make it work for you.
  • fitlulu4150
    I turned 64 in May and decided that if nobody is gonna still need me or gonna still feed me, (like the Beatles sing...) then I had better get healthy so I can do it myself! I joined the app today, October 1, 2019.
    I'm not quite set up yet, but as I become so, will post numbers and such.
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol in 2005, and a few years later, with Diabetes. I have had chronic pain since 1978, so am not particularly active. Doctors said for years, "Wait until you are pain-free for six weeks and then begin an exercise regimen." Well duh... I haven't been pain free in so long, I don't know what it feels like. (have to laugh -- I always laugh because I refuse to cry).
    My new Primary Care Manager has made me feel like a welcome member of the team that is going to bring me into a new lifestyle of good nutrition and healthy activity that will enable me to enjoy my live much, much, more.

Good luck with the new docs and here's to being pain free or at least "pain less".
  • fitlulu4150
    annliz23 wrote: »
    I feel down the stairs years ago trpping over my cat and hurt my back it's never been good since always plays up particularly when I was working in a school sitting on the small chairs was murder, I have had tablets and physio but It still pulls and goes from doing too much, knees not good since i feel on the ice skating with my daughter the doctor told me they were fractured and would always be rubbish ( such helpful man), then my poodle knocked me over and hurt my hip again tablets and physio but still painful most days. I have found exercise helps my back loads mainly the stretching ones I do daily. I change my ecercise routines to fit around how I am feeling as I cant do jumping ones but stepping ones are ok if my knee is not too bad, ab ones if joints are too sore at about trying new things. I don't diet but tweak my meals to keep under my 1200 calories drink more water and aim to be healthier as my family has a history of dementia, I think it's important to be active. I also do brain games scrabble, word seraches to keep my mind focused too.

Good luck with your journey, be positive and have fun.

Well annliz, we seem to have similar stories. I tripped over a couple of 4X4's in the back yard at night and broke my foot, my collar bone and ruptured 3 discs in my back..............took quite awhile to get over those and the back still bothers me from time to time. I did have a fantastic trainer 6 years ago who worked with me on my back for a year with great results. I've also fallen several other times and broke my other ankle and trashed my left knee several times. Had surgery on the ankle and the knee. All in all though I don't feel too bad although there are things I can't do anymore, such as run, but I manage most things without too much pain.

Like you say, staying active is the key!
  • fitlulu4150
    swim777 wrote: »

It sounds like you're doing great with the walks and the eating schedule. I find that sticking to a routine helps me stay focused and keeps me from straying away from my goals too badly. Not eating our emotions is a huge accomplishment. Keep up the good work!