In your 60’s

Options

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    @megamom congratulations !!! Welcome new members on this thread, l joined this group more than half way after the start & I really appreciate all the support I get on here. This morning I tried on a pair of jean shorts that were comfortable then got a bit snug but today they are almost comfortable again! For me exercising is key because mfp gave me a bit over 1200 cal/day to lose & I can't do that so as long as I keep up with exercise, I can lose. I committed to the step plus class twice a week & do try & get in some more, even if I just go swim or treadmill for 20 min. I do couple sets of weights at home too. My problem with going to the gym more often is I'm babysitting a 2yr old grandson from 11:30-2 while his mom goes to college. By the time I get home, have snack & relax I get very sleepy & it gets too hard to make myself get up & go. I spend my mornings taking my 6 dogs out. Too hot to go for walks so it's the dog park till cooler weather. Before I used to walk about 2+ miles with one of my dogs, then dog park. The gym class I go to is at 5:30. Other than the gym class, I don't like going to gym after 4 because it gets very crowded, so I'm working on a solution

You are doing amazing, I have not lost any weight in just over a week but tried in my shorts and yippee they fit.
    I put music on and dance with my grandchildren (1 and 4) they love dancing with nana and it's amazing how many calories you can burn another good one is hitting a balloon in the air they don't move much but I run around like crazy, we also do our exercises they love it or hide and seek up and down stairs( for the 1 year old I carry her then she crawls into a roomandvi chase her then we di it downstairs or running the field after a ball, that way I don't need a gym. Lol!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ... A suggestion from my doctor was to start intermittent fasting and I actually made it through the 18 hours without too much difficulty today. My eating window was from 1:00 pm until 7:00 pm. I will eat eat my regular meals tomorrow but will begin again after dinner at 7:00 pm. Anyone fast?

Rhonda - I have done intermittent fasting in the past. It taught me to pay attention to hunger signals, rather than eating because it was mealtime or I was bored or procrastinating or some other silly reason to eat. I found it manageable and easy to follow. I tended to binge late in the evenings and so I used a 2 pm to 10 pm eating window. Made it easier to stick to the calorie target.

I also lift weights in the early morning and performance started to suffer after several months of IF. Now I make certain to eat right after a lifting session. On other days, I wait until I am hungry to eat. I've gotten a lot better about controlling calorie intake most days and that is partially due to what I learned from fasting.

So now I don't concern myself with eating in a particular time window.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    congratulations @annliz23 , that's wonderful news!! My 2yr old toddler grandson is usually sleeping during the time I'm there so it's very boring but I do clean the kitchen, read & sometimes cook our dinner there. Today was my work day, so husband babysits on Wednesday's. I'm planning to go to zumba tonight. Step class was great yesterday. The instructor is so good. She choreographs the whole thing. We learn 2 routines at a time then do weights in between then toward the end we put them all together. It's so much fun. The only thing I don't like about my gym is they closed the "sister" gym which was a lot bigger so all those ppl come to the smaller one now. I have to get there early to get parking & it's out in the street or across the street. During the day when it was quiet, there's always a lot of cars.
  • annliz23
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    congratulations @annliz23 , that's wonderful news!! My 2yr old toddler grandson is usually sleeping during the time I'm there so it's very boring but I do clean the kitchen, read & sometimes cook our dinner there. Today was my work day, so husband babysits on Wednesday's. I'm planning to go to zumba tonight. Step class was great yesterday. The instructor is so good. She choreographs the whole thing. We learn 2 routines at a time then do weights in between then toward the end we put them all together. It's so much fun. The only thing I don't like about my gym is they closed the "sister" gym which was a lot bigger so all those ppl come to the smaller one now. I have to get there early to get parking & it's out in the street or across the street. During the day when it was quiet, there's always a lot of cars.

Glad things are going well for you and you seem more positive thats great. I take my ipod with me when I go to my sons so I can dance and burn off calories when the little one has a nap I can usually get 30 mins in my daughter in law popped back last time and thought I had gone mad but i only put one ear piece in so i can hear her , I might as well use the time sensibly lol!. Its good you enjoy the zumba class it's a good workout.
  • 13ilgal413
    13ilgal413 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    29 straight days of tracking...woot! Down 8 lbs: 42 to go in my 50 lbs in 50 weeks (I am ahead of schedule). I have never really tracked food before and it has really made me think about my eating habits. My new routine is to sit down at the computer immediately after a meal and log in my food. Today I read some of the inspiration posts & admired the photos. Good motivation!! Congrats to all on your journeys!
  • annliz23
    Options
    13ilgal413 wrote: »
    29 straight days of tracking...woot! Down 8 lbs: 42 to go in my 50 lbs in 50 weeks (I am ahead of schedule). I have never really tracked food before and it has really made me think about my eating habits. My new routine is to sit down at the computer immediately after a meal and log in my food. Today I read some of the inspiration posts & admired the photos. Good motivation!! Congrats to all on your journeys!

Great!
  • 4Linda0
    4Linda0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I want to get inspiration from all of you. About myself. Just turned 65 recently. Last blood work showed my cholesterol too high, office visit showed weight up and BMI not good so it’s time to make changes. Started with keeping track of food on this app. Measuring and weighing food and myself. Also keeping track of my steps.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    4Linda0 wrote: »
    Hi! I want to get inspiration from all of you. About myself. Just turned 65 recently. Last blood work showed my cholesterol too high, office visit showed weight up and BMI not good so it’s time to make changes. Started with keeping track of food on this app. Measuring and weighing food and myself. Also keeping track of my steps.

You're making a great start, Linda. The support and encouragement here is a great asset for anyone trying to improve their health. Keep checking in here! 👍

• 4Linda0
    4Linda0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks! 🌺
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    Welcome Linda, I find this to be a great group. I took my daughter out to lunch today at Denny's. We rarely go out but I have been to Denny's & a few other places before & I usually order the fit fair veggie plate for about 390 calories. It's really good but I felt like something different. Everything was SO many calories, some a while days worth so I ordered the usual. I have been craving chocolate for a week now so I got some chocolate ice cream on the way home. Good thing I didn't have a lot of calories for lunch. I wonder why restaurant food has so many more calories than if you make the same thing at home? is it the fat?
    Also I am 3 lbs down & it's stabilized. I find when I'm losing weight, the scale goes up & down for about a week then it's the same every morning then I can update my status after a few days of the new weight. I call that stabilized. anyone else find this true?
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Received the results for my latest A1C blood tests for diabetes. Down again to 5.9, so exercise and diet are truly important. Things were hectic the past couple weeks, both my sons purchased their first homes, so a LOT of packing and moving. No gym, but I am positive I more than made up for it. I was back at the gym today though. A suggestion from my doctor was to start intermittent fasting and I actually made it through the 18 hours without too much difficulty today. My eating window was from 1:00 pm until 7:00 pm. I will eat eat my regular meals tomorrow but will begin again after dinner at 7:00 pm. Anyone fast?

I don't fast except ahead of labwork and surgeries (I had both hips replaced this year). I just try to eat sensibly, portion control and quality food choices. As a retiree, I generally don't have days long enough for three meals so I get by with two good ones. I too have A1C issues and that is one of my new goals since my surgeries: continue to improve and maintain my newfound mobility; get healthier regardless of weight loss (not gonna go crazy tracking it and finally, knock down my A1C so far my doctor says "whoa!" and has to brace herself when she sees my labwork. My new hips have allowed me to get into a really healthy groove so far this summer. It has been a long time coming, or returning. My next dr. visit is in November. I am gonna do this 🙂
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    New hips have also made a difference for me. One in 2016 the second in 2018. I put on around 17 lbs during that time by not tracking. Started back in March, those pounds gone. Getting close to maintenance. Doctor very happy with progress. Discovered yesterday when discussing my final goals, he uses MFP!
  • 13ilgal413
    13ilgal413 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    UPDATE: never mind - I found the sort button. Can't figure out how to delete this post, though. Hi, everyone. Is there a way to alphabetize the personal food list that pops up for each meal when you are tracking? As I continue to add different foods, it's getting harder to find things I've already tracked so I can just check off the box. Lazy-girl's problem, I know - LOL - but it would save a lot of time! Thanks!
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,336 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: never mind - I found the sort button. Can't figure out how to delete this post, though. Hi, everyone. Is there a way to alphabetize the personal food list that pops up for each meal when you are tracking? As I continue to add different foods, it's getting harder to find things I've already tracked so I can just check off the box. Lazy-girl's problem, I know - LOL - but it would save a lot of time! Thanks!

Above the headings of recent, meals, recipes, etc. , is a "sort by" heading. Tap it and then tap "name" and it will alphabetize the food list.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    Under 200!!! 9 down....41 to go!

Congratulations, @13ilgal413!