In your 60’s

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    @fitlulu4150 I think I mentioned it before but if not I make turmeric paste & it works great for arthritis
  • Evamutt
    Today was my work day so I had a good breakfast before I left but I went to see my friend after so didn't eat for 6 hours. When I do that I'm starving when I get home. Just had a snack but it's so hard not to eat dinner also. I don't want to eat yet or I'll be hungry this evening, ugh
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Today was my work day so I had a good breakfast before I left but I went to see my friend after so didn't eat for 6 hours. When I do that I'm starving when I get home. Just had a snack but it's so hard not to eat dinner also. I don't want to eat yet or I'll be hungry this evening, ugh

Hang in there and find something to keep you occupied.
  • Needresults
    Needresults Posts: 2 Member
    It is very hard.. But keep thinking of the outcome!!!!.
  • Nebrfan2005
    Nebrfan2005 Posts: 3 Member
    I would like to join this group, but I don't see an option to join. Am I missing something?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I would like to join this group, but I don't see an option to join. Am I missing something?

It's not actually a group. It's a thread. You've already joined. :) Yay!
  • SharmilaSharma
    SharmilaSharma Posts: 1 Member
    I am 57 years old and I am vegetarian. I have arthritis and my knee is locked so I can’t walk. I need help loosing weight from 87kgs without exercise (since I am bed ridden). I am exercising my leg as suggested by my doctor. Also, is there any alternative to knee replacement surgery?
  • AnnPT77
    I am 57 years old and I am vegetarian. I have arthritis and my knee is locked so I can’t walk. I need help loosing weight from 87kgs without exercise (since I am bed ridden). I am exercising my leg as suggested by my doctor. Also, is there any alternative to knee replacement surgery?

The good news is that managing your calorie intake, to the point that your intake is less than what you burn - which is possible (not the same as "easy") even when bedridden - will result in weight loss. Since you have health issues, very patient, gradual weight loss (say, 0.25kg/week) might be a good plan.

Exercise is optional. However, it is helpful. There are numerous chair exercise videos on YouTube, ranging from quite gentle to quite vigorous. Would some of those possibly be manageable for you? If not, weight loss is still possible.

I don't know of alternatives to knee replacement surgery. It sounds like you've already been referred for physical therapy for your knee, which is the logical step. My doctor at first hesitated to refer me for PT for my knee problems because PT would not fix them, but when I told him I wanted to learn work-arounds and ways to reduce further stress on the knee, he was willing to give me the referral. I found it helpful (though I assume my problems, torn meniscus and osteoarthritis, are not as severe as yours), but it took some time to see the benefits. Weight loss itself was also of huge benefit to me, too, for my knees.

Best wishes!

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,330 Member
    Joints are tough and it depends on what is causing the issues. I had problems with a torn labrum with one hip and had surgery to repair that several years before the replacement. My hips ended up going to bone-on-bone and there was nothing that could be done except replacement. Up until the point I threw in the towel, pt and steroid injections provided some relief. Also, any weight we can lose takes pressure off the joints.
  • Evamutt
    @AnnPT77 My sister in law had to have knee replacement surgery, she could hardly walk but her Dr said she had to lose weight first. She did lose weight & had both knees done & is in no more pain. she did it without exercise. Wish I could tell you how much she lost, I don't know but my guess is 50lbs
  • AnnPT77
    @AnnPT77 My sister in law had to have knee replacement surgery, she could hardly walk but her Dr said she had to lose weight first. She did lose weight & had both knees done & is in no more pain. she did it without exercise. Wish I could tell you how much she lost, I don't know but my guess is 50lbs

Yes, I lost about 50 pounds and it made a huge improvement for me. Personally, I'm choosing to defer knee surgery as long as practical, as long as pain neither prevents me from sleeping, or limits me from doing things that are really important to me (like rowing, spinning, walking enough to enjoy art fairs and music festivals and the like, etc.). So far, so good . . . but eventually I expect to need surgery, perhaps initial some tissue clean-up, but eventually knee replacement, according to my orthopedist.

Clearly, I do exercise, but I'm confident weight loss is possible without it. The exercise I do didn't particularly change from my last decade or so of obesity: I was very active even as an obese person. Pretty much all that changed to lose weight was my calorie intake, though I suspect my daily life (non-exercise activity) might have gotten a little more active as I got lighter and felt better.

Knee replacement has been a great relief for some of my friends, so I anticipate the same, someday.
  • Evamutt
    I was always pretty active as well. Not only did I love racquetball& went to the gym but I also (and still do) take my dogs out for at least an hour every morning. I think I actually work out less now than I did before
  • Evamutt
    Last night worked out well as far as not overeating...I did have snack to keep from eating dinner too early. I had yogurt, popcorn & the green juice I make. 20min later I was full, didn't even eat dinner. I started eating my usual 1 oz of sunflower seeds I've gotten addicted to early & ate them more slowly so it took me 2 hours to finish them. I noticed them at checkout about 2 weeks ago & tried them & got hooked. My favorite is the dill pickle flavor. I'm so glad I found something to replace snacking
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Last night worked out well as far as not overeating...I did have snack to keep from eating dinner too early. I had yogurt, popcorn & the green juice I make. 20min later I was full, didn't even eat dinner. I started eating my usual 1 oz of sunflower seeds I've gotten addicted to early & ate them more slowly so it took me 2 hours to finish them. I noticed them at checkout about 2 weeks ago & tried them & got hooked. My favorite is the dill pickle flavor. I'm so glad I found something to replace snacking

Oh I forgot that sunflower seeds are yummy, thanks I will pick some on to munch on.
  • boofle2
    boofle2 Posts: 18 Member
    How many calories do you all use, it says i should have 1200 is this too low xx
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Mine is 1400 for .5# loss, plus I eat the exercise calories that my Fitbit gives me.
  • AnnPT77
    boofle2 wrote: »
    How many calories do you all use, it says i should have 1200 is this too low xx

The right answer is always individualized.

I'd suggest that you pick a sensible rate of loss in MFP (something like 0.5-.75% of current body weight is conservative, 1% may be achievable but is a little more risky, and often too much if within about 50 pounds of a healthy goal weight).

I think being conservative about loss rate is even more important as we age, assuming others, like me, are a little less resilient to physical stress than I was when I was younger). Slower than that kind of rate is also fine, if that makes the process more achievable (weight loss is a long-run proposition in nearly all cases, weeks to months to years, so sustainability is vital). Faster is something I'd suggest saving for cases where a doctor orders rapid weight loss to resolve serious, acute medical issues, and the person will be under close medical supervision to watch for health problems or nutritional deficiencies.

Too many people pick a "2 pounds a week" loss rate, including many for whom that may create excessive health risk.

Then, once you have a sensible calorie goal, stick with it for 4-6 weeks, and see if your actual loss rate matches the sensible rate you picked. That's a point when you can adjust eating to lose a little faster if that's safe, or a little slower if it's too fast. (I hope it's obvious that if you get weak or fatigued or have other bad symptoms for otherwise unexplained reasons before 6 weeks are up, alongside seeming to lose very fast, you should eat more!).

No one else can tell you how much to eat. MFP uses large scale scientific studies and statistics to recommend a calorie level. That's a better starting point than any other individual person's experience, since there's no way to know if they're a statistical outlier (even if they're the same age, size, activity level, etc., as you are - and it would take a good bit of typing to know how similar they are in those ways).

That said, I seem to be a bit of an outlier on the high-intake side. I started at 183 pounds, 5'5", and joined MFP weighing around 154, at age 59. It suggested 1200 calories for me, and that turned out to be way too low for me, even though I was eating back all my exercise calories on top of that. I lost weight too fast, and had to adjust upward. I lost most of my weight at 1400-1600 net calories and above, then eating all exercise calories besides, to lose around 50 pounds in a bit less than a year. I've been maintaining in the mid-130s for nearly 4 years since (now age 63) at over 2000 calories plus exercise calories.

Best wishes!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 528 Member
    edited August 2019
    Evening y'all, I'm 68, I've been on MFP since 6-2017, and on this journey since 12-27-2012. And yes, I remember the exact date! ROFL I'm on maintenance right now, I've lost a total of 64 pounds, and come fall, I'll be going back into active loss mode. I want to drop maybe another 10-15 pounds, but no rush, I'm enjoying the journey! Someone back in the beginning of this thread had mentioned Slimming World... yes, I also did that for a while, after giving up on Weight Watchers because I had no idea what nutrients I was getting with their plan. And yes, I lost weight on Slimming World... but I found it too easy to slip back into bad habits (mainly too large of portions) so I'm back to CICO, even for maintenance. ;)
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 528 Member
    Oh, @Evamutt, I feel ya! Haven't really been in that position, but I can understand how you feel. Do tell her. Sit down and have a real heart to heart, otherwise this is going to fester in your heart and it will get much worse. And you don't want to have the bad feelings flow over to the young one. But when we reach an age, we simply don't want to have the responsibility or the chores of caring for young ones. I hope she understands, but if she doesn't... one day, she will. ;)