Hunting

Options

Replies

• eagle275
    eagle275 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    My elders were hunters. It was their only means of survival. They practiced good animal husbandry and utilized every part of the wildlife. There was no such thing as a grocery store. During the cold winter months, the lakes are rivers are frozen over, so smoked fish was an important staple but it would run out before the spring finally showed up. When you go to the grocery store for the pricey cuts of grassfed beef you bank and hope that everything was done decently and in order. The less expensive cuts, not so much. You really have no idea what went on behind the scenes.

Wow awesome!
  • eagle275
    eagle275 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    No one in my family is a trophy hunter. We have witnessed ignorant people with their deer or elk propped up in the back of their truck, showing off as they fly down the road. We take great care with gratitude and process everything ourselves. Humanely. Decently and in order.

I agree!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    adampeart wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    adampeart wrote: »
    There's a massive difference between trophy hunting (cruel/evil) and hunting for food.

How is shooting a large trophy buck and eating him any more cruel/evil than shooting a doe and eating her?
    What about mounting his antlers makes his death worse?
    Trophy hunting, hunting for food and responsible wildlife management are not mutually exclusive.

Even hunting for animals not typically hunted for food can be (and generally is) part of responsible wildlife management to ensure healthy populations.

When I said trophy hunting I meant the people who shoot lions etc just for a picture. As long as you eat what you shoot it is all good with me.

No one does what you are describing.

In all legal cases if the hunter doesn't use the meat this is donated to homeless/locals/etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    eagle275 wrote: »
    SLL1803 wrote: »
    I wonder if the people handing out "disagrees" do the same for suggestions about eating chicken and beef?
    How is quickly and humanely killing a pheasant or deer for food any different than taking livestock to a slaughterhouse?

I don't condone the killing of animals for food or entertainment.

What do you eat then eh

Sounds like you are not familiar with a vegetarian diet, so here's a link: https://medium.com/better-humans/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-vegetarian-diet-c9214ff081d2

...Eat plant-based foods, like vegetables, fruits, beans, soy, grains, rice and nuts. Don’t eat meat, poultry, fish or seafood of any kind. What other foods you can eat will depend on what kind of vegetarian diet you follow:
    • Lacto-ovo-vegetarian: Eats dairy and eggs. Does not eat fish or meat.
    • Lacto-vegetarian: Eats dairy. Does not eat meat, fish, or eggs.
    • Vegan: No meat, fish, eggs or dairy.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Late starting this year due to moving and getting everything ready for winter.

My oldest son finished hunter safety last weekend and we'll be harvesting squirrels, rabbits, goose, pheasant, duck, turkey, and deer this year. Planning a hog hunt in the spring at my uncle's farm.

My wife and daughter will be following suit next year :)
  • heyjude0225
    heyjude0225 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Was out Sat for geese, took the girlfriends oldest out for his first goose hunt ever. He got two, then we had fresh goose for lunch.

Had to sit out bow season for deer due to my car accident however rifle season is just around the corner and I have an elk draw.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    I give you hunters a lot of credit. No way do I have the patience to sit in a cold tree stand all day waiting for a deer to walk by so I could get a clean shot!

Go to Grass Valley CA. Wait for dark, get on one of the less-traveled roads out of town. Give it 5 or 10 minutes. Be prepared to swerve out of the way of one or more deer bounding in front of your car with inches to spare. :)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    It's been 30 years since I went hunting. I moved from Montana and miss the hunting there. One elk could easily feed my family for a year.

My brother in law and sister in law lived in Montana for several years and he still talks about how he misses the hunting there.

Montana is like no other place. I could hunt moose here but it just isn't the same as elk hunting in Montana. I also hunted deer and antelope but those were always made into sausage. I also miss Rainbow Trout and Brook Trout. Nothing better than trout cooked over an open fire. My husband is a lobsterman in Maine and I do love fresh lobster off the boat but it isn't fire roasted trout.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The last time I went hunting was spring gobbler a few years ago. I went out a few times for archery over the past couple of years but didn't see anything, not enough time in the woods to do so. We hunt and we butcher our own meat. It has been great for our cholesterol and triglyceride counts for sure.
    I have an idea, if you are not into hunting just don't open the post. If you were watching tv you wouldn't turn on the sportsman channel just to complain about it. Go to the grocery store and get your meat cause it died from natural causes I am sure....that was sarcasm in case you didn't know.
    Will be picking up some bear for the freezer this week. I rarely buy red meat any more.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    We have to wait until November - the 2nd and 3rd weekends. Hopefully my son will get his first deer this year. We need to restock our venison supplies.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Oh and I got a gobbler. I have gone three times got long beards twice, interrupted by a coyote and a stupid hunter the third time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm scratching my head at why a vegetarian came to a post called "Hunt". Did they think it was a thread about mushroom hunting? Even after they came in realized this wasn't a thread about foraging for wild beet root, they still felt it necessary to comment on their views about hunting. I have no problems with vegans/vegetarians but I don't actively troll their posts just to say I have a problem with the amount of water used to keep up with the world demand for plant based diets.

Well, I think "vegan keto" is silly but still participate in all of those threads :lol:

And I'd be happy to debate which WOE has more negative impact on the planet, but we'd better save that for a thread in Debate.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I wonder if the people handing out "disagrees" do the same for suggestions about eating chicken and beef?
    How is quickly and humanely killing a pheasant or deer for food any different than taking livestock to a slaughterhouse?

See, you're leaving out the part where non-hunting meat-eaters buy their meat in a supermarket all neatly wrapped up in plastic and styrofoam (or at a restaurant, cooked and maybe still with plastic and styrofoam, if take-out).

Not only do those folks get to have someone else kill the animal off someplace grim that won't directly and personally offend them, and ignore the miserable life the animal had on a factory farm, but they get to underpay some (probable) immigrant or other low-on-the-employment-ladder person to work in miserable conditions while doing the killing/cutting-up, plus they have that nice plastic and styrofoam that never degrades on their ledger, besides. They're contributing to the larger economy! ( ;) ) So much more virtuous.

Vegans and maybe strict vegetarians get to disapprove of hunters, in my world. Disapproving of them more than one disapproves of the normal grocery-shopping, fast-food-eating meat-eater is a violation of any sensible logic, IMO.

Some meat-eaters disapprove of hunters, believing they must be brutes if they can kill with their very own hands. IMO, the hunter's taking responsibility, not smugly resting on denial. I don't believe meat eaters are required to hunt in order to be honest, but I believe they need to think a little harder about the nature of their accountability.

And I'm a freakin' vegetarian (for reasons that have little to do with animal welfare writ large - as you may've guessed).

Apologies for the rant. ;)
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    <snippity>

Well, I woulda said
    • Strict vegetarian: No meat, fish, eggs or dairy.
    • Vegan: No meat, fish, eggs, dairy, honey, cochineal, castoreum, etc., to eat; no leather clothing, horn or coral jewelry, etc., to wear; nothing that exploits animals.
        I'm scratching my head at why a vegetarian came to a post called "Hunt". Did they think it was a thread about mushroom hunting? Even after they came in realized this wasn't a thread about foraging for wild beet root, they still felt it necessary to comment on their views about hunting. I have no problems with vegans/vegetarians but I don't actively troll their posts just to say I have a problem with the amount of water used to keep up with the world demand for plant based diets.

Hey, we gots opinions, too! :lol: (And I didn't "disagree" with any of the pro-hunting posts.)

I feel strongly about this, for three reasons (1) I grew up in hunting culture (and respect its ethical perspective, at least among responsible practitioners; there are of course a few bad apples), and (2) I was married to a hunter for nearly 21 years (widowed, not divorced: we got along fine, including dietarily), (3) it irritates me when people in groups I belong to (like vegetarians) use poor logic and make us look bad. ;)

Well Ms. Anne of the Sculpted Deltoids, the reason why some people would come on here is because...... insert drum roll.... is.... some people WANT a reason to be triggered... I know several vegetarians and they do it for health reasons vs animal concerns, so I see your perspective. Truth is, if the triggered people want a reason to be triggered, I can give them FAR better reasons for it than a thread on hunting. Lol

"The" reason or a reason? I mean I suspect that AnnPT77, among others, didn't come here because she wanted to be triggered, but I won't speak for her.
    • Courtscan2
      Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
      Options
      I feel like the hunters here are all spoiling for a fight. You didn't have a single negative comment, but a couple of "disagree"s and you all lose your minds. Actively trying to trigger strangers on the internet is not something I will ever understand.
    • psychod787
      psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
      edited October 2019
      Options
      aokoye wrote: »

See, you're leaving out the part where non-hunting meat-eaters buy their meat in a supermarket all neatly wrapped up in plastic and styrofoam (or at a restaurant, cooked and maybe still with plastic and styrofoam, if take-out).

Not only do those folks get to have someone else kill the animal off someplace grim that won't directly and personally offend them, and ignore the miserable life the animal had on a factory farm, but they get to underpay some (probable) immigrant or other low-on-the-employment-ladder person to work in miserable conditions while doing the killing/cutting-up, plus they have that nice plastic and styrofoam that never degrades on their ledger, besides. They're contributing to the larger economy! ( ;) ) So much more virtuous.

Vegans and maybe strict vegetarians get to disapprove of hunters, in my world. Disapproving of them more than one disapproves of the normal grocery-shopping, fast-food-eating meat-eater is a violation of any sensible logic, IMO.

Some meat-eaters disapprove of hunters, believing they must be brutes if they can kill with their very own hands. IMO, the hunter's taking responsibility, not smugly resting on denial. I don't believe meat eaters are required to hunt in order to be honest, but I believe they need to think a little harder about the nature of their accountability.

And I'm a freakin' vegetarian (for reasons that have little to do with animal welfare writ large - as you may've guessed).

<snippity>

Well, I woulda said
      • Vegan: No meat, fish, eggs, dairy, honey, cochineal, castoreum, etc., to eat; no leather clothing, horn or coral jewelry, etc., to wear; nothing that exploits animals.

Hey, we gots opinions, too! :lol: (And I didn't "disagree" with any of the pro-hunting posts.)

I feel strongly about this, for three reasons (1) I grew up in hunting culture (and respect its ethical perspective, at least among responsible practitioners; there are of course a few bad apples), and (2) I was married to a hunter for nearly 21 years (widowed, not divorced: we got along fine, including dietarily), (3) it irritates me when people in groups I belong to (like vegetarians) use poor logic and make us look bad. ;)

Well Ms. Anne of the Sculpted Deltoids, the reason why some people would come on here is because...... insert drum roll.... is.... some people WANT a reason to be triggered... I know several vegetarians and they do it for health reasons vs animal concerns, so I see your perspective. Truth is, if the triggered people want a reason to be triggered, I can give them FAR better reasons for it than a thread on hunting. Lol

"The" reason or a reason? I mean I suspect that AnnPT77, among others, didn't come here because she wanted to be triggered, but I won't speak for her.
        I wasn't speaking of @Annept77...... nor you...
      • aokoye
        Options
        aokoye wrote: »

<snippity>

Well, I woulda said

I wasn't speaking of @Annept77...... nor you...

You definitely weren't speaking about me as I'm not vegetarian (or vegan).
        • aokoye
          Options
          I feel like the hunters here are all spoiling for a fight. You didn't have a single negative comment, but a couple of "disagree"s and you all lose your minds. Actively trying to trigger strangers on the internet is not something I will ever understand.

That's a good point. Re-skimming the thread there have been 2 disparaging comments about hunting over the course of three pages. Even then, one of them wasn't about hunting specifically (though oh the eye roll that I did on that one) and the other was was pretty minor.