Beginning Nov 1, 2019, the free version of the diary will only save data for last two years

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I guess too many of us old timers, painfully aware of the tech and customer service shortcomings, are ignoring Premium. So they had to try to find another way to force us in.

I think it stinks, but having that data isn't worth the price of Premium to me, so they are welcome to lock it behind the paywall. They're gonna need to show an at least marginal effort to maintain the quality of the app for me to pay for it. Stinks extra for those of you who legit use that data :disappointed:

I might consider signing up for Premium for one month to export my data, except that I have seen way too many posts from people who haven't been able to get MFP to let them quit Premium once they sign up.

For anyone in the U.S. who is interested, you can lodge consumer complaints with the FTC or your state attorney general.

Out of curiosity I checked how hard it would be to cancel my subscription and I figured out how to do it in under 30 seconds. Many people are not good at using the internet and blame it on "websites not letting them cancel" when really they just don't follow basic directions.

Did you actually cancel? Have you canceled more than a month ago (or a year ago, if not on a month to month plan) to see if they actually stopped billing you?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    I got a free trial of Premium a few months ago. It was kind of nice, but there was nothing that was really worth the extra expense for me, so I cancelled it two days before the trial expired. But first I ~WAS~ able to export a .csv file of all my data. I figured I might want it some time.

I just checked, and now that I'm not on premium, I can't do that so much. Looks like a printable report, but not a .csv file.

It might be worth seeing if, before the end of the month, you can get a one- or three-month free trial of Premium. If not, doing it for one month might be worth the Hamilton if you don't have to re-enter all that data. In fact, I may think about joining up one month a year just to download the data. But yeah -- they should offer that up easily and freely.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I don’t ever access my old data. I’m
    Not really a data geek. So I’m not that fussed. But I would pay for a months premium if I wanted access to it and then cancel.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses but frequently software developers take a 'use it or lose it' approach to features. How many users browse through intake records 2+ years ago? My guess, hardly any. The app Lifesum did this too, took away the Sharing feature for their app to share your intake numbers with social media. I checked and I was the *only* person sharing on Twitter. So it got dropped. Incidentally, for Lifesum if you delete the app, then reinstall you only get 30 days of your old data. 730 days seems generous in comparison.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Once you store it on their system, it becomes their data.

This is what I disagree with.

It is MY data which MFP stores and to which they have been granted access by virtue of our relationship.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    I don’t ever access my old data. I’m
    Not really a data geek. So I’m not that fussed. But I would pay for a months premium if I wanted access to it and then cancel.

We shouldn't have to.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I had premium for a while and canceled and they did not keep billing me. It was quite a while ago, however.