In your 60’s

Replies

• fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    I'm just going to throw this out there because I think it's really important for those of us who are aging gracefully (I hope)!

It is soooooooo important to put the work in to exercise, and honestly, we need both our 150 minutes of cardio a week but guess what, we also need at least several hours of strength training.

No, you don't need to join a gym but you need to use your muscles before they fail you! Sad but true.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/to-delay-death-lift-weights?utm_source=pocket-newtab
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Another good reason to do some strength workouts. Thanks for sharing that article, @fitlulu4150.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    great article, thank you. I didn't do strength training till about 1=2 yrs ago . I've always done cardio, but I do love it. Sometimes I'm afraid because my Rt arm started aching 3yrs ago & I still don't know why but I do have arthritis & tendonitis in my hands/wrists but I put on my weight gloves & wrist band, take turmeric & get with it. I got real sick friday night, think it's the flu, husband got sick week before but I'm about to walk my dogs. Happy Sunday
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Like the article thanks lulu I got rid of my weights in the summer but husband is getting me some more for my birthday next week!
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    I just turned 60. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
  • risha55
    risha55 Posts: 7 Member
    Good morning...newly 60 lol, was doing great fell of wagon 6 lbs up....ugh, start over or should I say continue....going on vacation. Will try to be mindful, but when I get back...accountability, meal prep ect
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Hi, everybody! I'm 69 and up to the last Jan. 1 was extremely overweight. Since then I had lost 45 lbs and didn't have a problem with motivation, but lately, I'm getting lazy and started to binge again. I lap swim for 1 hr and do water aerobics for 45 min for seniors 3x a week, but today I could not push myself to do the aerobics. I hate fall because my motivation goes down. I know that I'll overcome this feeling, but not today. I will let myself be lazy today.
    I had read a lot of posts here and I like the group. Nice meeting you, people!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Welcome to all the new folks. This is a great group of seasoned citizens. Please add me as a friend if you like. Always happy to share support and encouragement.
  • annliz23
    Well a good start to the week even though I have a cold but pushed myself and did my workout , walked the dogs so getting back on target just need to lose a few pounds this week as I am a bit behind on my target.
    Good luck everyone keep motivated use the cold days to exercise to keep warm that's my method.
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    As Steve said welcome to the new people. Lots of good motivation and support here so reach out whenever you want! Invite some of us to be friends too, that's very helpful.

Ann, nice work pushing through with a cold. It's 93 degrees here in So Cal, so I'm still getting my walks in at the crack of dawn............. ;)
  • annliz23
    As Steve said welcome to the new people. Lots of good motivation and support here so reach out whenever you want! Invite some of us to be friends too, that's very helpful.

Ann, nice work pushing through with a cold. It's 93 degrees here in So Cal, so I'm still getting my walks in at the crack of dawn............. ;)

Oh cold in the UK miss the warmth, I'm a summer person but so many happy times and events coming up such fun!
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    great article, thank you. I didn't do strength training till about 1=2 yrs ago . I've always done cardio, but I do love it. Sometimes I'm afraid because my Rt arm started aching 3yrs ago & I still don't know why but I do have arthritis & tendonitis in my hands/wrists but I put on my weight gloves & wrist band, take turmeric & get with it. I got real sick friday night, think it's the flu, husband got sick week before but I'm about to walk my dogs. Happy Sunday
    Ditto for turmeric for overall joint support, and forms that are hydro-soluble absorb better.

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Welcome to the new people, this is a great group & I found it to be very supportive. How is everyone doing on their deficits? I've been working on mine for months. The past 3 days have been good & I stayed a little under Yesterday I had a "hungry" day so I had an extra snack but it was still under maintenance. I did get very sick after I posted Friday but I'm on antibiotics & feeling better. For those of you who don't know me, I lost 50 lbs, kept it off over a year with no problems then quit smoking & gained 10 lbs & since then it's been hard eating at the deficit mfp gave me but I'm not giving up. When I went to Dr Saturday, their scale said 162. I'm usually a pound or 2 higher on Dr scale but I sure miss seeing the 150 on there so I'm very determined. I'd love to hear some of your backgrounds
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    I'm just going to throw this out there because I think it's really important for those of us who are aging gracefully (I hope)!

It is soooooooo important to put the work in to exercise, and honestly, we need both our 150 minutes of cardio a week but guess what, we also need at least several hours of strength training.

No, you don't need to join a gym but you need to use your muscles before they fail you! Sad but true.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/to-delay-death-lift-weights?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It was nice to see that "no real difference in GENERAL benefit between body-weight strength training and lifting-style weight training" as I am not likely to join a gym any time soon, and the heaviest weight I have at home is 10-lb hand weights.

Does anyone have experience-based suggestions on body-weight exercise challenges? I have ALWAYS been quite the cardio girl especially jogging on mini-trampoline / walking around outside of building at noon (could always dance for hours!). But snow will be coming my way before too much longer, so the walking outside might slide somewhat. Very strong legs and balance, but not upper-body and core muscle tone is on the flabby side. Hopeless at push-ups but stronger than you'd think when it comes to shifting boxes of paper around / on and off records room storage shelves. Paper is much heavier in bulk than most people realize! LOL

I am 61 and female (still work at a government office). Well into 7th month at maintenance (but closing in on first winter of maintenance …. )
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    BMcC9 wrote: »

It was nice to see that "no real difference in GENERAL benefit between body-weight strength training and lifting-style weight training" as I am not likely to join a gym any time soon, and the heaviest weight I have at home is 10-lb hand weights.

Does anyone have experience-based suggestions on body-weight exercise challenges? I have ALWAYS been quite the cardio girl especially jogging on mini-trampoline / walking around outside of building at noon (could always dance for hours!). But snow will be coming my way before too much longer, so the walking outside might slide somewhat. Very strong legs and balance, but not upper-body and core muscle tone is on the flabby side. Hopeless at push-ups but stronger than you'd think when it comes to shifting boxes of paper around / on and off records room storage shelves. Paper is much heavier in bulk than most people realize! LOL

I am 61 and female (still work at a government office). Well into 7th month at maintenance (but closing in on first winter of maintenance …. )

To the bolded: You'll find some bodyweight programs (and actual-experience comments about them) in the thread linked below, which is kind of a favorite around here. I know the title suggests it's all about weight lifting, but it actually does include bodyweight programs, including some with progressions to keep them challenging:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience-based suggestions on body-weight exercise challenges?

To the bolded: You'll find some bodyweight programs (and actual-experience comments about them) in the thread linked below, which is kind of a favorite around here. I know the title suggests it's all about weight lifting, but it actually does include bodyweight programs, including some with progressions to keep them challenging:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thanks for that, @AnnPT77 !
  • annliz23
    Last day of the month and so far hitting all my targets so hopefully I will have lost my weight by Christmas but it will be s challenge to make lol!
  • Shredder761
    Shredder761 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi all. Brand new to this discussion. I am 66 and have been logging for a while. I am 15 days into a KETO diet and am enjoying the journey. Look forward to helping wherever I can.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Welcome @alexsandrathompson. It sounds like you have a handle on this!
    @fitlulu4150 How was the garage sale?
    @Evamutt. I think finding different activities you enjoy is great. Perfection for me (having to always be rigid about exercise and foods) is often an issue for me. Being able to make this a lifestyle is what really works. Riding a bike is great exercise and sounds like a nice change of pace!

My week is going well. Hoping to go to a holiday craft show tomorrow. Lots of looking, and fun just to see what people create!
  • annliz23
    Hi all. Brand new to this discussion. I am 66 and have been logging for a while. I am 15 days into a KETO diet and am enjoying the journey. Look forward to helping wherever I can.

How are you doing?