Keto made me sick as a dog!

Replies

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Ugh never again! I was throwing up, diarrhea,dizzy and just sick from eating this way,I'll never do it again, anybody else not have this WOE work for them?

You might want to get your gallbladder checked out. As others have said, they can’t do keto because they had thier gallbladder removed and high fat makes them sick (I’m one of those people). When you have gallstones you can have the symptoms when you heat something high in fat, symptoms which are exactly what you described (you might also have pain in your abdomen or mid back back around where your liver is). Having gallstones doesn’t necessarily mean the gallbladder needs to be removed but it’s good to know if you have them so you can avoid the goods that cause issues or can make the gallstones worse. Unfortunately two of the lesser known causes of gallstones is rapid weight loss (my boyfriend and I both had our gallbladders removed for this reason) and use of birthcontrol pills. Just something to keep in mind.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    143tobe wrote: »
    I absolutely had some problems in the beginning when I started keto. I did lose those first pounds fairly easily so I decided to stick with it and work out the problems I was having. The scariest was when my heart just felt really off and I was extremely lethargic. I googled and discovered I was most likely potassium deficient. I fixed that and felt much better. I'm so glad I did too because from my symptoms I was definitely hospital bound. Another really weird thing that happened was I suddenly had lost my spatial perception. This made for a very bad weekend when I had to drive a few hundred miles for a trip and I felt like I was going to crash the whole time. Never been so stressed out. It was worse when I had to drive in the dark. After this episode I increased my carbs to 50 total and didn't worry about counting net. This seemed to fix the problem. I don't know what was going on in my brain but I think maybe I had cut my carbs too much and my body was not getting the glucose it needed because my body wasn't able to create all the ketones it needed. Just my guess though. I've now been low carb for 2 years and it really is just my preferred way of eating. I can't say I'm "Keto" because my macros are 15% (total carbs) 60% fat and 25% protein and if I claim to be keto the keto police will come for me. That being said, I AM in ketosis and fat adapted, so they can call it whatever they want. I've reached my goal weight and still losing. Even on days I don't have time to track my meals, when I go back and enter them I hit my macros almost exactly. Tortue diet? No, it feels almost effortless. I do enjoy the occasional feast day or carb reload or days. This is also a big no to strict keto people but I LOVE carbs and food and I have learned that I CAN have it all. I'm in control of my keto, keto is not in control of me.

Those are likely perfectly good keto macros, especially when you were at a deficit, even though some will claim that lower is necessary (and not like being in ketosis really matters, it's likely just the low carb that makes it more sustainable/reduces hunger for some).

When I tried it out I looked at a lot of sources and saw that 50 g net was probably ketosis for a reasonably active person of my size. I tried for 50 g total, found it impossible (I eat a lot of vegetables), so went with no more than 35 g net, 60 g total, which worked out to about 15% at 1600. Protein at 100 g (or 25%), and then fat at 60%, so same as you.

I didn't find it difficult, although I missed some of the carbs I'd been eating (like fruit, potatoes, beans and lentils) and consider them healthy, so didn't stick with it (I'd been happy with my diet pre keto, and was just doing it as an experiment). With healthy sources of fat (limiting sat fat) and keeping the carbs mostly non starchy veg plus nuts and seeds and occasional greek yogurt, I found it to be a reasonably healthful way of eating, although more restrictive than my prior way. I added some salt to my diet when first transitioning, and didn't ever feel sick.

For whatever it's worth, macro percentages don't seem to matter much for me -- I felt find on that diet and have on lower fat diets too.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    edited October 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Those are likely perfectly good keto macros, especially when you were at a deficit, even though some will claim that lower is necessary (and not like being in ketosis really matters, it's likely just the low carb that makes it more sustainable/reduces hunger for some).

When I tried it out I looked at a lot of sources and saw that 50 g net was probably ketosis for a reasonably active person of my size. I tried for 50 g total, found it impossible (I eat a lot of vegetables), so went with no more than 35 g net, 60 g total, which worked out to about 15% at 1600. Protein at 100 g (or 25%), and then fat at 60%, so same as you.

I didn't find it difficult, although I missed some of the carbs I'd been eating (like fruit, potatoes, beans and lentils) and consider them healthy, so didn't stick with it (I'd been happy with my diet pre keto, and was just doing it as an experiment). With healthy sources of fat (limiting sat fat) and keeping the carbs mostly non starchy veg plus nuts and seeds and occasional greek yogurt, I found it to be a reasonably healthful way of eating, although more restrictive than my prior way. I added some salt to my diet when first transitioning, and didn't ever feel sick.

For whatever it's worth, macro percentages don't seem to matter much for me -- I felt find on that diet and have on lower fat diets too.

Totally agree. I have done every macro combo under the sun and always felt fine. Even did the opposite of keto (80/10/10) and I felt great. I'm a runner so eating 80% carbs totally worked for me when I did it. The only difference between all these other diets and macros for me was that I have only reached my goal weight while in ketosis and it's the only diet I've been able to stick to, and at the same time stray from for a period, but easily transition back to. Oh...and my running has been better than ever. Can't say it's due to keto, more than likely it's my lighter body weight, but I am somewhat amazed that I'm able to run over 2 hours on fat and ketones and afterwards I always seem to have energy to spare. Also ran a 5K recently and ran way faster than my normal pace...but on this I admit, it was probably due to the donut I ate 30 minutes prior. It was awesome. :)

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    gemiller87 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    gemiller87 wrote: »
    I did a short run of "Keto" as part of fasting sugar out of my diet for a month. The first week seemed ok, week two was rough and by end of the third week I was ok. By end of week four I was fine with it. I did reintroduce a more balanced carb intake but remained low sugar. I borrowed a blood glucose monitor from a diabetic family member and found there is notable change and steadiness from the keto platform. Doesn't mean it's the only solution.

If you weren't low sugar before, don't forget that sugar is one of the most addicting substances in the world and removal of it truly can feel like withdrawal.

While some people have difficulty moderating sugar, calling it one of the most addicting substances in the world is just specious, false hyperbole.

Unfortunately science in general disagrees with you even though health people definitely stretch the truth.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144
    https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/experts-is-sugar-addictive-drug
    https://www.newhallhospital.co.uk/news/is-sugar-more-addictive-than-cocaine
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281920449_Is_sugar_more_addictive_than_cocaine

Now if you're referring to the bodies need for it to grow like a narcotic to keep the same "high" is a different argument and obviously the "damaging side" of addiction is far from comparable and grossly exaggerated to a legit drug addiction, but it's addictive tendencies are stronger than you are willing to admit.

Sugar actives the brains reward system like a drug releasing dopamine. In this regard the body does grow its "need" of sugar for the dopamine release, but its not a functional requirement for bodily systems like some other drug addictions. The chemical response to sugar is one of the reasons sugary snacks are closely tied to emotional eating, they release the drug effect making it a soothing response.

It's important to acknowledge also that a change in your blood sugar patterns affects how you feel, so a big change in sugar intake will change how you you feel straight up.

The problem with trying to link a dopamine response to sugar being addictive is that there are literally hundreds of things that humans come into contact with on a daily basis that also cause a dopamine response in the brain. Just to name a few of them: petting a puppy, laughing, holding a baby, a lover's touch, seeing something that makes you happy, etc and so-on. Do you think we are addicted to all of these things as well (and if we are, should we give them up)?

Right and food can be used to add to the pleasure of a holiday, vacation, or special occasion. The problem is that we should not live or lives as though it is a vacation just like we can't do nothing all day but pet a puppy.

I am guilty of trying to make an ordinary weekend "special" with food and I gained weight because of it. It was a blind spot like I am sure it is for many people.

Choosing high calorie food is a learned habit. Being sedentary is a learned habit. I think the reason why people jump to believing it is an addiction because they can be hard to break.

Where the pleasure center can really bite a person, I believe, is by going into a really highly food restrictive diet. If you deny yourself everything you enjoy it may backfire on you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    The french fries are a mystery. The pizza sauce has hidden sugar in it!!