Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Giving Out Candy on Halloween Adding to the Obesity Problem?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    h5rlvh58sikk.jpg

No doubt. Where is the dressing?

No dressing, dude. Dressing has calories. <nods>

A light vinegar dressing would add practically nothing. Plus the kid might want relief from all the sweetness they have to endure.
  • NovusDies
    My friends' kids all have severe food allergies, so I tend to give out colored pencil sets, Play-Doh, silly putty, full sized coloring books, crayons, rubber stamps, keen hole punches (stars, foot prints, snow flakes, etc) and sketch books.

Weirdly, the Play Doh is very popular with the teenagers. I totally didn't see that one coming.

Interesting. Last year we gave out glow sticks and other assorted cheap crap. I looked at the playdoh as an option but figured the older kids would scoff at it.

• NovusDies
    h5rlvh58sikk.jpg

No doubt. Where is the dressing?

No dressing, dude. Dressing has calories. <nods>

A light vinegar dressing would add practically nothing. Plus the kid might want relief from all the sweetness they have to endure.

Make it apple cider vinegar and you have the virtue-signalling bingo.

That would keep the costs down. Thanks.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited October 2019
    When I was a kid, we used to get tons of fruit, especially apples and oranges.

Hated it because a) it was fruit, not candy and b) it took up waaaaay too much room in the bag and make it heavy as hell. Thankfully, the pins and razor blades thing put an end to that nonsense by the time my daughter was trick-or-treating. :D

There was one house that gave out full sized-chocolate bars every year. They were the best house on the block. Until they moved. I think the new owners got their house egged that first year. :p
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    @NovusDies Yeah... I had the $.56 full sized cans and ran out early on. It was completely unexpected.

This year, I have a case of glue and tiny packs of borax/glitter.

SLIME KITS. :D
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    My friends' kids all have severe food allergies, so I tend to give out colored pencil sets, Play-Doh, silly putty, full sized coloring books, crayons, rubber stamps, keen hole punches (stars, foot prints, snow flakes, etc) and sketch books.

Weirdly, the Play Doh is very popular with the teenagers. I totally didn't see that one coming.

- Oh, and the fidget spinners the one year were incredibly popular. *eye roll*

I just had late 90s kid nostalgia. I would’ve been so happy seeing that in my bag.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    MarcyMavin wrote: »
    No. What’s contributing to childhood obesity is the after Halloween candy, the thanksgiving candy, Christmas candy, valentine candy, Easter candy, Pick your day of the week candy, breakfast candy, after school candy, I ate one carrot so now I get candy candy. Or whatever junk you want to replace candy with. Catch my drift here?

All true but you forgot stiiting on their butts in front of a screen instead of moving.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    edited October 2019
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I was just sitting here thinking about the probably 10k calories of candy the average kid might be taking home.

It is generally pretty cold does anyone make a pot of soup and give it out in cups?

What are other good alternatives? Seaweed snacks? They are green. Maybe fiber one bars? Or should a person focus on protein? I have a bunch of squid that I could smoke. That seems Halloween-ish.

Discuss.

1) I wouldn't let my kid consume anything not in the original packaging until after I looked at it (unless I knew the people they got it from). Soup, given what could easily be put in it by a nutjob and be undetectable would probably be one of the first things dumped out.

2) Kids have been trick or treating for years before childhood obesity became a thing. If the child has a weight problem (and even if they don't), the parents need to be parents and tell the child beforehand they can keep x number of candy items. Give the rest away or pitch.

Do you check all the food they get from a restaurant too? Maybe the scary nutjob poisoner works there and is not the person giving out delicious and comforting soup on Halloween. Why would you give a pass for people you know? Aren't the dangers always statistically higher from people you know?

Exactly this ^^

I worked in a restaurant for many years. Things "happen" to your food in restaurants before it gets to your table.

Be nice to your servers. Jus' sayin'
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    If you just hand out little treats, no. If you EAT all those little and not so little treats, YES!
  • iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    I’m giving out gummi bears, which are FAT FREE, so they can’t make you fat.
    Unless you're a so-called "sugar addict". To them, gummies are of the devil.