Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Giving Out Candy on Halloween Adding to the Obesity Problem?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    @Carlos_421 - As an aside, I bought these the other day and thought of you. They're freaking awesome!

73l25nbdph41.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    @Carlos_421 - As an aside, I bought these the other day and thought of you. They're freaking awesome!

73l25nbdph41.jpg

Ooooooooo!! Is the filling flavored like cinnabon icing? Probably delicious either way.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited October 2019
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

73l25nbdph41.jpg

Ooooooooo!! Is the filling flavored like cinnabon icing? Probably delicious either way.

It is. It's pretty damn good.

Edited to add: It's not overwhelmingly cinnamon-y, which I really liked as well.

And, back on topic, I wish they made little snack packs. Would be perfect for Hallowe'en as a nice dessert for @NovusDies ' soup. :)
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    No it's not. My kids get to pick thru their candy and identify their two favorites. They get to keep all of those and the rest is donated to school for classroom parties and PBIS reward ticket purchases. Kids have been gorging on candy long before obesity was a problem. The question is, do parents let that go on all year? And do they make their kids participate in a physical activity?

Hot cider/cocoa work if you live in a neighborhood that knows each other well. We've also had a popcorn machine and handed out hot popcorn.

Soup? You're begging to be egged. We offer a toy or color changing pencil, etc. for kids with allergies which you could do if you want to get away from food. Which reminds me, our local market had this thing where kids could find the store mascot hidden in the store, go to customer service and receive a prize. My kids did this once. The prize? A coupon for 1 can of generic condensed soup. I thought it was hilarious. My kids did not.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    If you do poison the kids, does that count as working against obesity? I think poisoning tends to cause weight loss. Should we have more poisoning kids' candy?

Looking forward to the number of disagrees from people that can't understand sarcasm.

Of course! ....but maybe....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5h4enjrHw
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

73l25nbdph41.jpg

We are seriously wasting Nobel awards on total BS.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    If you do poison the kids, does that count as working against obesity? I think poisoning tends to cause weight loss. Should we have more poisoning kids' candy?

Looking forward to the number of disagrees from people that can't understand sarcasm.

I assume by "poison" you mean sugar free candy.

Sugar free cough drops.........
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    S'possed to be raw, windy, with a rain/snow mix here on Halloween.
    I guess a lot of kids in my neighborhood will be saved from the obesity crisis after all.
    And I'm going to have a lot of leftover gummi bears.
    Wonder if I can make gummi soup....?

Vodka or tequila gummies are a thing. Yes, they kinda stick together. After the first handful or two, who cares? ;)
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    I think you could pull off soup ( i would suggest chili) is if you hosted some sort of halloween haunted house type event. There is a few people in our town who do this, and go all out. They do hand out candy, but they do also offer stuff like hot dogs and hamburger on the grill and a big pot of chili. They have been doing this for years, so nobody questions their intentions other then they really love going all out on halloween. They also have popular kids in school that most kids including ours knows.
    But if you are just some creepy health food nut neighbor and want to give out some kinda healthy soup, you are asking for failure.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    One house in our area tends to hand out crayons, coloring books, stickers, rulers, erasers that type of stuff. Our kids always liked it! Nothing beats reases peanut butter squares though.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Not if:
    1. When I was a kid we only went to houses where we knew the occupants, they actually pretended to try to guess who we were. This limited the amount of candy we received. Kids do not need to go to every neighborhood having a trick or treat time or day.
    2. Parents can....although most don't....give their kids limits on how many treats they have from their pumpkin or bag each day. Society seems to have forgotten that our teachings help map our our children's behavior patterns.

I recently started working in two middle schools two days a week and among other things I've heard recently from the kids has been, "you could sell your candy for so much!!" and "my parents won't let me eat it all anyways". These kids are not invested in eating everything that they're going to get and fully expect their parents to limit their candy consumption.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Guess it's supposed to snow here on Halloween. I think that will make them appreciate the broccoli cheddar and tomato soups I am making.

(Kidding!)

I have some candy left over from last year, but someone just told me it's only supposed to be good for 9 months, so I guess I need to toss it and buy some more.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    At least they're hopefully walking around to get it...although I have seen people literally drive their kids from house to house...how dull
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Candy doesn’t make you fat. Eating candy makes you fat.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    allother94 wrote: »

Nope. Eating too many calories of *anything* can contribute to weight gain. Even fruits and vegetables. And 'healthy' foods, whatever you may consider them to be.

Ok.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    allother94 wrote: »

That is funny.

I am not a sweet eater so I wish I had thought the same thing when looking at all the savory food that led to my gains.