Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Giving Out Candy on Halloween Adding to the Obesity Problem?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited October 2019
    At least they're hopefully walking around to get it...although I have seen people literally drive their kids from house to house...how dull

I've seen that as well. In the large city where I used to live, some parents would drive their kids to the 'better' neighbourhoods to trick or treat. But the kids were actually walking from house to house while the parents were slowly driving down the street following them.

I now live in a small town, and unless the parent is physically challenged in some way, it seems a shame for them to miss out on actually participating in the fun with their kids. Neighbours here know each other and most of the kids, too. A lot of times when I answer the door, I can only figure out who the kid behind the mask is because their parents are there, too. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Guess it's supposed to snow here on Halloween. I think that will make them appreciate the broccoli cheddar and tomato soups I am making.

(Kidding!)

I have some candy left over from last year, but someone just told me it's only supposed to be good for 9 months
    , so I guess I need to toss it and buy some more.

My girls still have candy leftover from last Halloween. Trust me, I have tried it, and its still good :smile: . They get so much on beggars night that I obviously moderate how much they can have. The assumption that kids are going to eat a full bucket of candy in a week doesn't make sense to me, however as a parent, I make sure my kids are eating more than just candy all the time. My girls are so active as it is that I have trouble keeping up with them, and at times I need to steal some candy just for the extra calories.

So I wouldn't be poisoning the neighborhood kids? That is good, since I'd prefer to use it (although I'll need to supplement some).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Guess it's supposed to snow here on Halloween. I think that will make them appreciate the broccoli cheddar and tomato soups I am making.

(Kidding!)

I have some candy left over from last year, but someone just told me it's only supposed to be good for 9 months

My girls still have candy leftover from last Halloween. Trust me, I have tried it, and its still good :smile: . They get so much on beggars night that I obviously moderate how much they can have. The assumption that kids are going to eat a full bucket of candy in a week doesn't make sense to me, however as a parent, I make sure my kids are eating more than just candy all the time. My girls are so active as it is that I have trouble keeping up with them, and at times I need to steal some candy just for the extra calories.

So I wouldn't be poisoning the neighborhood kids? That is good, since I'd prefer to use it (although I'll need to supplement some).

What little candy I had left from last Halloween was thrown in the freezer. I could make some of the chocolate work in a chili but not in most of my soup recipes.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2019

(Kidding!)

My husband recently ate a Snickers we had leftover from last Halloween and it was rancid. Probably wouldn’t kill you but nasty. Anything with nuts or fats will turn rancid eventually. Sugar stays good pretty much indefinitely if kept dry. Chocolate may also “bloom” if not kept at even temperatures, which won’t hurt you but isn’t good.

You could always taste test!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    One year we ran out of candy, so we had a huge jar of coins (mostly pennies) that we put out. The kids seemed to be ok with that-we didn't get TP'd.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I'm still eating individual bags of Cracker Jacks from last year. They're fine but the prizes suck :lol: Anyone want a Halloween sticker?
  • snickerscharlie
    edited October 2019
    One year we ran out of candy, so we had a huge jar of coins (mostly pennies) that we put out. The kids seemed to be ok with that-we didn't get TP'd.
    Kids used to trick-or-treat for Unicef, and carried a little orange box for the coins.

Not sure why it was stopped, but it always seemed like a nice thing to do - thinking about others while loading up with goodies for yourself.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm still eating individual bags of Cracker Jacks from last year. They're fine but the prizes suck :lol: Anyone want a Halloween sticker?

@amkita does.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I do love stickers! 💙
  • You can always give out small toys from Oriental Trading Company. It might be too late to order for this year though.

One idea is to get glowing necklaces so the kids to wear Halloween night. No calories, very cool, and it will help keep them safe when trick or treating because they will be easier to see to cars passing by.
  • snickerscharlie
    amkita wrote: »
    I do love stickers! 💙

As a parent, I hate stickers. They always end up where they shouldn't and I find them months later and have to scrape them off the hardwood floors. If someone gifts my kids stickers, their kids are getting a drum set as retaliation. :smile:

Glitter. Much cheaper. Sticks around forever. Shows up in the most inconvenient places, too. ;)

Oh don't even get me started on glitter, or even worse, homemade slime. My girls have fallen asleep playing with that stuff and I have had to get it out of their hair in the mornings. Its terrible.

@NovusDies I LOVE the harmonica idea and you better believe my brothers kids will all be getting them for Christmas.

Giving the gift of music! :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    S'possed to be raw, windy, with a rain/snow mix here on Halloween.
    I guess a lot of kids in my neighborhood will be saved from the obesity crisis after all.
    And I'm going to have a lot of leftover gummi bears.
    Wonder if I can make gummi soup....?

Vodka or tequila gummies are a thing. Yes, they kinda stick together. After the first handful or two, who cares? ;)

Back in with the recipe, because you know you need it:

https://mixthatdrink.com/vodka-gummy-bears/

If you thought I meant alcohol flavored gummies, no: It's actual alcohol-soaked gummies. For grown-ups. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    S'possed to be raw, windy, with a rain/snow mix here on Halloween.
    I guess a lot of kids in my neighborhood will be saved from the obesity crisis after all.
    And I'm going to have a lot of leftover gummi bears.
    Wonder if I can make gummi soup....?

Vodka or tequila gummies are a thing. Yes, they kinda stick together. After the first handful or two, who cares? ;)

Back in with the recipe, because you know you need it:

https://mixthatdrink.com/vodka-gummy-bears/

If you thought I meant alcohol flavored gummies, no: It's actual alcohol-soaked gummies. For grown-ups. ;)
    Guaranteed to warm you up on a brisk Hallowe'en.

Almost as well as @NovusDies ' soup! B)