Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    edited October 2019
    @holly-- Over 6 miles of walking is amazing!! Glad you are working with Riley on the training--that can be really challenging, but so rewarding when you have a well-trained pup!

@cyndy-- We aren't quite at the snow stage yet here in Chicago, but it's feeling a lot like autumn--windy, chilly, and some rain. I'm jealous of your heat wave.

AFM--scale is continuing to show progress and like cyndy, I definitely feel better in my clothes--less puffy and bloated, so everything fits a little better. I've gotten in two workouts at the gym . Tomorrow I'm taking gunner to the doggie salon and myself to the human salon, but I plan to work out afterwards.

I managed to get most of my grading done during the week, so I can actually spend some time catching up on housework. Not sure if we are doing anything for Halloween. A friend's band is playing Saturday night at a bar we sometimes go to, but it's a bit of a drive, so we will have to see if we feel like making that trek...

Name: Karen
    Height: 5’7"
    Highest Weight: 247
    Current Weight: 196 (7/6/19)

8/31/19 = 194
    9/7/19 = 196
    9/14/19 = 196
    9/22/19 = 196
    9/28/19 = 195
    10/4/19 = 196
    10/12/19 = 196
    10/19/19 = 194

Exercise Challenge Goal:
    Gym visit or run outside 3 times/week
    10/6 - 10/12 = 3/3
    10/13 - 10/19 = 3/3
    10/20 - 10/26 = 2/3
    10/27 - 11/2 = x/3
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Saturday success check-in

So I didn't get a chance to give more info on my "no-goal" week last week. It was a close thing. I had one day which went totally off schedule and I decided to compromise and have half a frozen pizza, which shot the protein goal down. The walking goal ended up going down when I had gotten terrible blisters on the back of both feet. No walking for two days due to that. Good news is this week, all systems were go.

I had a big drop on Monday morning, so it was nice to see the scale move. However, I started strength training again this week (Stronglifts 5x5), and now have stalled since. I'm certain this is due to new workout water retention, since my electrolytes have been stable and I've been good with the macros this week. A tad frustrating to not see more results as things are going (by the numbers I should've hit my first 20 down since starting MFP), but I'm sure I'm losing fat (since the numbers say so), and that's what counts in the end.

In thinking about things more, I'm changing the previous goals to a baseline now (tweaked protein up by 5 grams). I think this is a maintainable set of goals throughout the month, and if I hit extra-rocky days with the depression/anxiety, I think I need to allow myself to only do the minimum, and have that minimum be quite doable. I'm making a set of "Gold Goals" ("Going for the gold"), which I will aim to meet when I am able.

Overall, this last week (starting on Monday) was very good. After the hormone shift, I had a burst of energy and actually even had a brief time where I felt "OK". Perhaps this will increase over time. I tried a few tweaks to the menu to get a bit more flavor/warm meals, and overall it was a success. I will be trying a new recipe for lunch today and find myself looking forward to it.

My baseline goals:
    1) At least 130 g protein intake each day.
    2) Complete walks at least 1 mile and a total of 30+ minutes 6 days a week.
    3) Keep at least two days ahead in pre-planning the food diary.

Gold Goals:
    1) Complete Stronglifts 5x5 workouts at least 2 times per week (ideally 3).
    2) Walk a total of at least 5 miles per day, except one day of rest (<2 miles).
    3) Find at least one new recipe/food combination to try each week.

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    Restarting weight: 252
    MFP restart weight: 242.7
    Goal weight: Originally set it at 140, but that is likely to change.

To track/adjust goal weight, I will review body scans periodically as I go to be sure I'm doing well on body fat % and don't start to lose muscle mass. My goal is to be at a healthy body fat percentage (< or = to 25%) with good strength and stamina, wherever it is that I end on the scale. It seems as though a realistic range might be 144-167 based on the feedback I've gotten.

09/14/19: 240.7
    09/21/19: 238.8
    09/28/19: 234.6
    10/05/19: 230.8
    10/12/19: 231.0
    10/19/19: 226.9
    10/26/19: 223.8
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    @skinnyjeanzbound. Nice loss!!
  • dustyspal
    @MelodiousMermaid super jo!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @dustyspal -- Thanks!

@MelodiousMermaid -- Sounds like you have a solid plan to work toward your goals! I did Strongllifts 5x5 years ago and loved it. It really helped me drop weight and firm and tone my body. Unfortunately, I experienced a frozen shoulder and tore my labrium (NOT related to the lifting) and had to stop lifting weights altogether. Once that healed, I started again and my other shoulder froze (again, not due to lifting). During my second shoulder PT, I started doing a bit of lifting as part of my rehab, but not anything heavy. I really miss it, and once I have better mobility, I plan to start again.

Saturday Success:
    My weight continues to go down on the keto-light plan. Even though I'm not keeping my carbs super low, my daily percentage of calories from carbs has gone from a 40-50% range to a 15-25% range. More importantly, I'm not hungry and my overall calorie intake has been lower than before.

I was unsuccessful at completing my exercise goal this week because my hairdresser had to move my appointment to later in the day. Screwed up my whole plan to go to the gym afterwards and it's raining, so I couldn't run outside. Even worse, the cold, rainy weather is making me crave some warm comfort food, but I ate pork and roasted asparagus instead.

8/31/19 = 194
    9/7/19 = 196
    9/14/19 = 196
    9/22/19 = 196
    9/28/19 = 195
    10/4/19 = 196
    10/12/19 = 196
    10/19/19 = 194
    10/26/19 = 192

Exercise Challenge Goal:
    10/6 - 10/12 = 3/3
    10/13 - 10/19 = 3/3
    10/20 - 10/26 = 2/3
    10/27 - 11/2 = x/3
  • raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Hello My Friends!

Yay to @skinnyjeanzbound for the success on the keto-lite! I know it works for me if I stick to it. Fingers Crossed I believe I am on a good path to break this little up-down trend. For the first time on a Monday I weigh less than I did on Friday. That's a big deal for me!

Again, hats off to @MelodiousMermaid for being so great at setting goals and making progress. Your focus is admirable.

AFM: I wanted to share something. I re-started my WL journey last September. I downloaded an app call Happy Scale where I enter my weight daily and it gives me an idea of how much I've lost or gained. Keeps me on track. I decided to look at last October's graph. One year ago today... I was 205.7. Looking at that makes me feel better about my decision to really take this on. I am going to attempt to show you last years graph... fingers crossed. If it does post... the green line is what I weighed the previous month. I am happy and wanted to share this with you all. Our goals are possible, our dreams are attainable.

6a2ryvcmo4bn.png

Name: Cyndy
    Height: 5’3"
    Highest Weight: (Oct 15, 2004) 250
    Re-Start Weight (Sept 1, 2018): 221
    Goal Weight 140

Jun 5 184.8
    Jun 19 186.95
    Jun 29 186.36
    Jul 02 187.8
    Jul 16 188.7
    July 22 187.0
    July 23 187
    Aug 6 189 - Back from Colo celebrations
    Aug 12 - 188.8 .2 down... I'll take it.
    Aug 17 - 187.6
    Sept 3 - 190!!! Yikes
    Sept 10 - 189
    Sept 17 - 187
    Sept 24 - 190.7 Yikes again!
    Oct 2 - 189.5
    Oct 9 - 191.0 Bummer!
    Oct 17 - 187.9 Yay
    Oct 28 - 186.7

Week (+/-) = -1.2
    Since Re-Start = 34.3
    Since First start = 63.3

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member

@Cyndy- The graph you shared is great.
    @MelodiousMermaid- You always have such a through plan in place. Very impressed.
    @Karen- Congrats on the success you are having with cutting carbs. I understand hthe cold weather issue, for me cold makes me want to stay inside.

Tuesday Update-
    I have worked out yesterday and today. I also did 2 mins on the sit up machine yesterday which was about 80-90 sit ups. I am working on going from 4 20 oz diet sodas a day to 1 20 oz a day.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @holly-- great job with the workouts!. I used to be a Diet Coke junkie, but I cut it cold turkey about 10 or 12 years ago by switching to fresh brewed iced tea. Still get the caffeine without all of the other yucky stuff. Now I only drink diet coke on special occasions or as part of a cocktail. :)

@cyndy--thanks for sharing the graph. I tried to look up the app in the google play store, but I couldn't find it. Maybe it's only available to iPhone users? That's great that you had a loss over the weekend!! Go you!!

AFM-- Yesterday, we had a planned potluck at work. Lots of yummy goodies, and I did partake in some very carb heavy foods, but it was planned, and I still managed to come in close to my calorie goal. Today there were lots of leftovers plus bags of candy (at work and at home). I managed to avoid all of the treats at work except for the homemade cornbread ( I had 2 pieces! :blush: ), but I'm still pretty proud that I haven't touched a piece of candy other than keto-friendly dark chocolate. My husband made pizza for dinner which is our Halloween tradition, but tomorrow I will be back to only low carb foods until Thanksgiving. :)

I've also not gotten to the gym all week. Sunday I wasn't feeling well, Monday and Tuesday I had meetings that went until 6 pm, and Wed. I decided to rake leaves as my exercise which seems silly since those leaf piles are now covered in 3 inches of snow. LOL

8/31/19 = 194
    9/7/19 = 196
    9/14/19 = 196
    9/22/19 = 196
    9/28/19 = 195
    10/4/19 = 196
    10/12/19 = 196
    10/19/19 = 194
    10/26/19 = 192

Exercise Challenge Goal:
    10/6 - 10/12 = 3/3
    10/13 - 10/19 = 3/3
    10/20 - 10/26 = 2/3
    10/27 - 11/2 = 1/3
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday check-in

First, thank you to dustyspal, Karen, Cyndy, and Holly for your kind words and encouragement.

This last week was pretty good overall, though tougher toward the end. I have chronic pain, periodic flare-ups, and such, but this last week a variety of foot pains just about took me down. I finally went into a specialty shop on Friday and found out that I need a specific type of support in my shoes and may or may not need custom orthotics to go with them. We're trying the shoes for 2-3 weeks before moving on to evaluate further needs, since it'll take a fair bit of walking to correct my gait and get used to the very different support in these shoes. I revised my gold walking goal to bring it to a more reasonable level to allow myself the ability to heal and adjust.

The strength training is going well, I believe. I completed three workouts this week. Bummer, Karen, that you had to let it go -- I find it to be a satisfying workout. Oh yeah, and that water weight prediction I was talking about last week? It was spot on. Monday morning was a huge drop, and it's pretty well been flat all week again. Not sure if hormone water weight will cause a jump or just hold on to what's there in the next couple of weeks. That will be interesting to see.

I decided to increase protein again, from 130g to 150g per day. My check-in scans on Monday indicated that I might have had a mild muscle mass loss (very small, but still a loss). One of my primary goals throughout my weight loss journey is to not lose it if it can be at all avoided. Therefore, more protein, and I'm also trying breaking it up into smaller bits throughout the day (4-5 intake times). For the few days I've tried it so far, it is OK, though I am going to play around with what I have and when I have it to see if I can somehow feel a bit more satisfied appetite-wise at night without dipping too much further into the calorie bank.

Menu planning has gone OK, but I do have to say I hope I have a few more successes with new recipes/food combinations going forward, because the couple that have been successful recently have really left me wanting more (in a good way)! I now have a curry-inspired chicken combination that I enjoy on its own, and could probably add to a base of several different veggies. SO good. I also have a honey sesame tuna with pak choi (bok choy) dinner that I find to be pretty satisfying too (would be better with a tuna steak instead of canned tuna, but the budget is what it is). If you're a menu peeper, I've got both programmed for Monday (breakfast and lunch) with a new omelette combination that I'm going to try for supper.

Unfortunately, I can feel the hormones shifting again. In its own way, I am thankful that getting my eating regimen under control and losing some of the excess weight has at least made the calendar predictable when it comes to that stuff. Two weeks and a couple of days and I should be back to game-on mode. Hopefully I'll be able to continue to stave off the unnecessary cravings and fight the mental wars at least as well as I have this month and last month. I wouldn't say I'm doing great overall, but I've been able to fight through a lot better than in the past, and I'm getting more "blips" of normalcy (a good thing).

[TL;DR]
    So with that, I'll summarize - made last week's baseline goals, and missed last week's Gold Goals by 0.8 and 1 mile yesterday and today respectively, so pretty good, circumstances considered. Goals are adjusted accordingly and seem to be where I need to be at, both mentally and physically.

My baseline goals:
    1) At least 150 g protein intake each day.

Gold Goals:
    2) Walk a total of at least 4 miles per day (but no more than 4 miles at a time), except one day of rest (0-2 miles).

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    My healthy body fat percentage is forecasted to start at 155 lbs currently, based on scans done 10/28/19.

To track/adjust goal weight, I will review body scans periodically as I go to be sure I'm doing well on body fat % and don't start to lose muscle mass. My goal is to be at a healthy body fat percentage (< or = to 25%) with good strength and stamina, wherever it is that I end on the scale. It seems as though a realistic range might be 144-167 based on the feedback I've gotten.

11/01/19: 219.6
  • dustyspal
    @MelodiousMermaid. Here's to your new goals. I know you'll do well. Let us know if you find any good recipes.
  • mnwalkingqueen

@Karen- Congrats on losing the diet coke cravings. Diet Coke and fast food are my biggest downfalls. I’m trying to find a substitute for Diet Coke. I eat a lot of popcorn and I’ve tried lots of other things but I seem to only be able to drink soda with popcorn. good job avoiding the candy. And raking leaves that’s a good work out 😉

@MelodiousMermaid- Hope your healing goes well. Changing your goals for walking is good idea. Great job on meal planning. I definitely need to get way better at that.

Saturday Update:
    I went to gym Monday ,Tuessdy. Raked leaves Wed. Lazy Thur and Fri.
    Today I help my mom with funeral prep so lots of emotional eating. I also found out today I really need to get to doctor 3rd time in a year my blood pressure is very high 159/110. It’s probably all the fast food and stress.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @holly-- yes, I think I worked up a bigger sweat raking leaves than running! Great job with your workouts--and sending hugs as you handle the funeral prep. <3 Although I get the occasional craving for a good burger, I rarely want fast food. I think working at Wendy's and Burger King as a teen gave me TMI on the behind the scenes at those places. Basically, if I find myself tempted, I just remember that it's usually a bunch of underpaid teens handling the food, and that's enough to stave off any desire to actually eat that stuff. Mybe imagining gross, dirty kids touching your food will help you avoid it too. LOL

@MelodiousMermaid -- your plans are so thorough and focused, I know you will have success! I tend to be a little more "fly by the seat of my pants"--especially during the school year when I'm thoroughly over-scheduled. I'm constantly reminding myself to put my goals before work, but it's hard when I have 130 students to consider as well.

AFM-- I was so worried that my carb-heavy day on Wed. and small lapses Thurs. and Fri. would mean a gain, but I actually lost another pound last week. That was great motivation to get back on track with avoiding the candy in my house all weekend, as well as all the goodies that are still lingering in our office. Tonight I went out for Mexican food with a friend, and though I did indulge in a Corona light (5g carbs), I ordered Mexican pepper steak and only ate the steak, peppers, and sour cream. No rice, no tortillas, no beans. When I got home I had some homemade butternut squash soup--pretty heavy on the carbs, but much more keto friendly than the restaurant fare.

For November, I will stick with my exercise goal of 3x/week. It will be tough because we have parent teacher conferences this week and the following, plus I'm heading to Baltimore for a work conference the 20-25. My goal is to stay on the keto light plan until Thanksgiving dinner--that will be a carb-fest, but I'm running a 5k that morning, so at least I will earn it. :)

I would love to be in the 180s by the end of this week, so I'm going to use that to encourage good choices for nutrition and exercise.

8/31/19 = 194
    9/7/19 = 196
    9/14/19 = 196
    9/22/19 = 196
    9/28/19 = 195
    10/4/19 = 196
    10/12/19 = 196
    10/19/19 = 194
    10/26/19 = 192
    11/2/19 = 191

Exercise Challenge Goal:
    10/6 - 10/12 = 3/3
    10/13 - 10/19 = 3/3
    10/20 - 10/26 = 2/3
    10/27 - 11/2 = 2/3

• MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday check-in

Thanks again to dustyspal, Karen, and Holly for your encouragement.

The adjustments to the goals were what was needed. I thought about going over 4 miles in a stretch more than once this week to get extra burn in, but the level of the pain build-up over the week showed me that I was right to force a limitation. It might be a few more weeks to see more miles in one go. It's kinda frustrating to have to do separate walks on my non-lifting days, but I guess if it's what it takes, it's what it takes.

Having the goal sets in place saved me from vegetating (and possibly backsliding) this week. The monthly hormone dive started last weekend, and it's been more struggle than not to get going each day. Sometimes keeping going too, but so far I've managed. I think being accountable here and in the 9-week challenge I'm in has helped a lot too. I met both the baseline goals and gold goals.

This week's recipe that I tried was lime chicken with salsa verde sour cream. I had to use dried cilantro (fresh would've been much better) and bottled lime juice (again fresh would be better). I also used boneless, skinless chicken breast as the meat, and subbed fat free plain greek yogurt for the sour cream (this is something I do as standard and usually works just fine). My husband and daughter loved it with rice, but without the rice (my bowl) was severely lacking for the experience. I'm saving it to try again with fresh stuff as mentioned and rice and/or beans when I get closer to maintenance.

Here's the link to the recipe if you're interested:
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lime-chicken-with-salsa-verde-sour-cream/

My baseline goals:

Gold Goals:
    2) Walk a total of at least 4 miles per day (but no more than 4 miles at a time), except one day of rest (0-2 miles).

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    My healthy body fat percentage is forecasted to start at 155 lbs currently, based on scans done 10/28/19.

11/09/19: 215.6
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Saturday Check In:
    My dads service was today. Standing room only at service was in aww of all the people he touched. I am so honored to get the American flag he earned for serving in the National Guards.
    Emotions and food are off the chain again. I got this though🙂
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Spent the day (Saturday) cleaning the living room carpet - wonder how many calories I burned LoL. Struggling to eat right, weight has stayed the same - still need more exercise. I did go on the treadmill for a short time two days ago.

too many low sugar readings, had candy and I think that messed me up. sigh. Everyone here seems to be doing well, I am encouraged when I read your postings.

So for me, this week - I need to log everything - that's when I do well, and get some kind of exercise every day. I'll try and log it. - Looking to lose at least 1 pound.

Happy Sunday to all. Diane
  • dustyspal
    @mnwalkingqueen. Hugs. Take some time. We'll be here for you.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    @mnwalkingqueen Thinking of you.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday check-in

Not going to be overly verbose today -- just trying to live through the drudgery (Monday should be the day things switch around in the hormonal department, though it might be Tuesday). I would've met gold but for the limitation of mileage per walk. My feet are doing a bit better (pains staying the same or decreasing depending on the type), so I think I'm going to loosen that goal up going forward, pending that the pain does not get worse.

My baseline goals:

Gold Goals:
    2) Walk a total of at least 24 miles per week, allowing at least one day of rest (0-2 miles).

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    Original goal weight: 140
    Current goal: 22.5% body fat (currently estimated at 150 lbs).

To track/adjust goal weight, I will review body scans periodically as I go to be sure I'm doing well on body fat % and don't start to lose muscle mass. My goal is to be at a healthy body fat percentage with good strength and stamina, wherever it is that I end on the scale. It seems as though a realistic range might be 144-167 based on the feedback I've gotten.

11/09/19: 215.6
    11/16/19: 212.7
  • dustyspal
    @MelodiousMermaid. WOW! Those are some Awesome losses.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @holly-- my heart goes out to you as you grieve your father's passing. My dad's older sister passed away a few weeks ago, and a close friend lost her mother last week. I know loss is a part of growing older, but it's still so hard. Hugs and support--you are such a strong person; I know you get through this and back on track in your own time. How is training with your pup going? Has the weather turned to perpetual ice and snow for you guys yet?

@MelodiousMermaid -- congrats on sticking with it! You are making such steady progress; it's truly inspirational. Thanks for consistently posting--even when I lapse in posting, I'm still reading the thread, and seeing the progress of other group members really helps keep me motivated.

Hi all! Sorry I've been so MIA recently. Things have been super busy at work with parent/teacher conferences the last 2 weeks and trying to prepare for my 3-day absence starting this Wed. when I'll be in Baltimore for NCTE. In addition, our principal announced today that he's resigning at the end of this school year and will be on an extended absence for the foreseeable future. Needless to say, it's been hectic.

Despite the craziness, I've been doing okay with nutrition--took another cheat day this past Wed. as we had or "friendsgiving" luncheon at work and conferences in the evening. I also admit to a few extra carbs noshing on leftovers Thursday. :blush:

My real downfall has been not getting to the gym, but it's really been close to impossible as I've had to focus on getting some work graded and prepped prior to NCTE, but I've also had some social commitments taking up my time. Sadly, a close friend's mom passed away last week due to cancer, so being there for her has been a priority. On a happier note, my mom took my sisters and I to see Hamilton on Sunday. It was by far the best show I've ever seen, but it took up my whole day, so I got nothing else done. The closest I've come to exercise this past week (beyond a short walk with Gunner), is raking leaves after school today.

I don't know how busy the conference will be this week, but I plan to bring running gear to get in a couple of gym visits while in Baltimore. I really don't want to lose the running gains I've made when I have the turkey trot coming up next week.

8/31/19 = 194
    9/7/19 = 196
    9/14/19 = 196
    9/22/19 = 196
    9/28/19 = 195
    10/4/19 = 196
    10/12/19 = 196
    10/19/19 = 194