Flavors of Childhood?

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Thinking back, my family ate a lot of Little Debbie snack cakes. Oatmeal creme pies, zebra cakes, strawberry short cake rolls, fudge brownies, nutty buddy, swiss rolls, pumpkin delights. Even though the honey buns seemed popular, we never had those. I assume my mother didn't like them.

Dang... now I want a zebra cake

That was my favorite of the bunch! My brother always preferred oatmeal creme pies, to the point where I actually got sick of them. They sound delicious now though.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Thinking back, my family ate a lot of Little Debbie snack cakes. Oatmeal creme pies, zebra cakes, strawberry short cake rolls, fudge brownies, nutty buddy, swiss rolls, pumpkin delights. Even though the honey buns seemed popular, we never had those. I assume my mother didn't like them.

Dang... now I want a zebra cake

That was my favorite of the bunch! My brother always preferred oatmeal creme pies, to the point where I actually got sick of them. They sound delicious now though.

You know how there's Hostess cereals (twinkies, etc)?? We need Little Debbie cereal... imagine.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Some candy from childhood...

4qnozagnh7ho.png
    vkyvy4sgkyg5.png
    4sikuiphxud4.png
    6hkp3s51t5mo.png
    g9tl6ep3rb5v.png
    i89jpupft0a3.png

• pancakerunner
    Options
    m17o59vz6qra.jpg

this just brought back crazy nostalgia
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Plombir (plain vanilla ice cream from the soviet era). I don't even know if it still exists. 30 years later and I can still remember the taste. That may be why plain vanilla is my favorite flavor of ice cream to this day, maybe I'm still searching for that taste.

050918mor.jpg

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    ellios-JB.jpg
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

My Dad used to pick these up on the drive home from the mine on special occasions. Nutty Buddies were my favorite and I would pull the layers apart and eat them individually - savoring every sweet second. Glorious!

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My Grandma used to make everyone their favorite cookie on their birthday - mine was a Ranger cookie - oatmeal raisin with amaranth and coconut or rice crispies, or some granola. Super calorie dense and perfect for long hikes/trail runs.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

My Dad used to pick these up on the drive home from the mine on special occasions. Nutty Buddies were my favorite and I would pull the layers apart and eat them individually - savoring every sweet second. Glorious!

I pull the layers apart too! I loved saving the most peanut-buttery one for last.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I pull the layers apart too! I loved saving the most peanut-buttery one for last.

Me, three!
  • pancakerunner
    edited November 2019
    Options

Me, three!

Me four... haha! The only way to eat them. I would do the same with zebra cakes and swiss rolls!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    zaf0g4hwae5m.png

Guilty. I always ate my wafers like that. 👆
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    zgs98yiyp1rr.png

Soursop. My mum's dad had two trees which canopied the family hangi to filter out the smoke when the earth oven was lit. We would perch ourselves on branches and nosh on these, staying out of harms way, yet still involved in the prep for a special occasion or just a normal Sunday lunch. Or we would De-seed, use a stone mortar n pestle to turn into a thick pulp and drink it down. Yum!

Ate Soursop ice cream made Keto-style 2 days ago. Surprised I didn't cry.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    zaf0g4hwae5m.png

The best part was when you’d pull off one with pb on both sides!

I loved these as a kid. 4v9mvwsp0nel.jpeg
    And the spongebob branded crabby patty ones.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I LOVED these as a child and still LOVE them now and they are super in season and just a good as when I was a wee little one:

pomegranate_4.jpg

pomegranates-1--56a30e493df78cf7727b9fb5.jpg

Ooh I loved them too! Although I ended up eating them over the sink because they squirted juice.

I love them, but I had never even SEEN or tried one until like 5 years ago! I can't imagine eating them in any other way than taking out the arils to eat. Maybe it's the ones I get here in Missouri but those things are stuck in pretty tight! I use the "hack" of putting them in a bowl of water and breaking apart so the arils go to the bottom.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

I grew up on Little Debbies 100%! They were ALWAYS in our house. Every one you named and many more (though not at once, haha). Hostess snack cakes too, but Little Debbie was the real household staple. We also had them in the snack bar/cafeteria of my schools from grades 8-12 and so many kids lived on Star Crunch and Nutty Bars!
    For the most part, they're one of those things that still sounds appealing but then when I eat one I feel like "ugh, that was not great". And I'm NOT one of those people who say "oh my tastes are more sophisticated since adapting to a healthier diet". I still love candy and frosting and stuff.

If I had to eat a Little Debbie it's the chocolate cake ones with waxy white coating and tiny chocolate chips on top, for me. It's like I know it's pretty gross, but something about it is still good.

I worked at Wonder-Hostess for awhile right after college (long ago) and that sickened me right out on their cakes, too. The Banana Flips did have an addictive filling. We froze the Ding Dongs when I was a kid and I liked that. My dad used to love their little cherry, lemon, and blueberry fried pies (he eats a lot differently now and would probably not like them anymore either).
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    zaf0g4hwae5m.png

The best part was when you’d pull off one with pb on both sides!

I loved these as a kid. 4v9mvwsp0nel.jpeg
    And the spongebob branded crabby patty ones.

Same! The spongebob Krabby patty ones especially.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    I haven't had most the things people listed, maybe because I grew up in the 80s? I don't believe I've ever had Little Debbie's. Definitely had Hoho's, Hostess chocolate vanilla and orange cupcakes, Zingers, and Ding Dongs were my favorite.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I haven't had most the things people listed, maybe because I grew up in the 80s? I don't believe I've ever had Little Debbie's. Definitely had Hoho's, Hostess chocolate vanilla and orange cupcakes, Zingers, and Ding Dongs were my favorite.

Hohos are so good! Similar to Little Debbies swiss rolls... also Ding Dongs <3