November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    adampeart wrote: »
    Now I can do 5k etc easily I am wanting to build up to marathon distance eventually (I know it's a long process). Could use some guidance on my training plan. Currently I do 5k 3 times Mon - Fri at about 10:30 min per mile pace, then a 10k at the weekend at 12 min per mile.
    From what I've read it would be best to switch the 5k before the longer run to a slower pace of say 12 min per mile. Then extend my long run by 1k per week.
    Any thoughts on this? Also going forward do I switch my weekday 5k's to 10k and if so when?

I personally wouldn’t worry about pace at all right now, just building weekly mileage. If you aren’t already, keep track of your mileage in a notebook or on strava/runkeeper etc so that you can easily see the trends. If you are consistently running 5k 3 times per week and 10k on the weekend that would be 25k weekly (15 ish weekly miles). I’d look for a half marathon training program that fits that mileage at the start. Or just build mileage at no more than 10% per week. It sounds like due to time constraints you can’t add to your weekday 5ks. But if you can add another half to full mile at a different time of the day that’s still building weekly mileage. I’d take a cutback on mileage every 3-4 weeks to let your body rest a bit as well. I’m sure more experienced runners can offer more advice.

I like running alone but have recently been running with a group once per week. I’m enjoying this more than I expected.

• emmamcgarity
    Options
    10F this morning... I guess winter has arrived early! Brr!

ARTIC BLAST!!!! FEEL THE FREEZE!
    It was 28F in Houston. In Nov?!? Craziness.
    It’s crazy! It’s not supposed to be cold here!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @adampeart I like Hal Higdon plans a lot. You can download them for free and there are some that have you running 4 days a week. A lot of other plans have 5 days a week but that doesn't always fit my schedule.

@kgirlhart Are these plans in the form of an app? Or are they just paper schedules? I'm looking to replace my Active C25K app and I really like just doing what I'm told to do when I'm told to do it, without having to think of it too much.

I guess what I might need at some point is a watch that allows me to set my own intervals, and that has some bluetooth connectivity so that it can tell my earphones when I should start and stop running.

Actually I'd really like a watch that can do that, as well as connect to WiFi so I can download apps and check my email etc. I have never had a smartwatch before and I am getting tired of carrying around my phone when I run.

What is the difference between an Android smartwatch that basically replaces most of the functions of an Android phone versus a Garmin? People on this thread seem to really like Garmins. What do they do (or not do) that makes them preferable to a generic Apple or Android smartwatch?

With regards to training after c25k, I downloaded the bridge to 10k podcasts (B210k) which has an announcer telling you when to walk and run building up to 60 minutes in a 6 week plan
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Nice.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Conversation topic just for curiosity sake:

Do you workout fasted? I've done some runs (3ish miles) and some lifting sessions (EARLY AM) fasted. But some people say you should never do that, some say it's not a big deal. I do what feels right for the day/workout but just wondering everyone's thoughts.

For me, if I get up at 4 am I can't eat much, if anything, before working out. The idea of food that early just disgusts me.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Conversation topic just for curiosity sake:

Do you workout fasted? I've done some runs (3ish miles) and some lifting sessions (EARLY AM) fasted. But some people say you should never do that, some say it's not a big deal. I do what feels right for the day/workout but just wondering everyone's thoughts.

For me, if I get up at 4 am I can't eat much, if anything, before working out. The idea of food that early just disgusts me.

I have done almost all of my runs fasted but they have been morning runs and all under 3 miles each. The last couple runs have not been done fasted only because it's been too dang cold to run in the mornings and I am not going to fast until 5 PM just so I can run fasted. For me it is just done for convenience anyway. I have felt great doing it.