November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    somum wrote: »
    It was not easy but I made it. I rolled my ankle starting off too fast in the corral so I ended up walking the half☹️. The pain was intense but I pushed thru and while I am slightly bummed about having to walk I am so thankful I finished strong and still ran across the finish line running the last mile. The conditions were harsh with temps below freezing and with the wind chill factor it easily felt like it was in the teens. ...

Your toughness is an inspiration.

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    @somum Having to walk a half in those cold temperatures, brr... in many ways harder than running! Good job finishing, you earned your medal! Hope your ankle heals quickly!

My husband and I did 5k yesterday at the Greenway, just at dusk. Weather lovely but chilly breeze. The path was ankle deep in all colors of fallen leaves. Also: I love eating pecans, but hate running on them. Heel striking on a hidden pecan is like suddenly discovering you are wearing one roller skate....

Slippery leaves alone are no joke. I got a seriously bad shoulder injury slipping (and falling) due to some leaves two years ago. Be careful!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary WTG on your race and meeting your goal of "not falling over." :wink: It looks like a gorgeous place to run, but the climb sounds brutal. Love the bling too.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @somum so sorry about the ankle! You are tough to finish the whole thing, congratulations. Take good care of yourself and hope you heal quickly.

@noblsheep congrats on your 10k. That's a big race! I'm sure it was tough to navigate. Sorry you didn't get your goal time, but well done!

@ContraryMaryMary great job your trail race. Wow, that sounds technical so definitely a big victory to stay upright! Looks gorgeous and I love the gold ingot medal. Very cool.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary WTG on your race and meeting your goal of "not falling over." :wink: It looks like a gorgeous place to run, but the climb sounds brutal. Love the bling too.

This is often my goal too! LOL! Well done!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep congrats on your 10k. That's a big race! I'm sure it was tough to navigate. Sorry you didn't get your goal time, but well done!

Definitely.

A race that crowded it is usually impossible to run the proper tangents so your watch distance is probably closer than the actual race distance. If you really want to check to pull up the map and zoom in along your route. If the GPS has you in places you were not then you had poor satellite reception. If not then you really ran that far.

City routes with tall buildings on all sides are notorious for blocking GPS.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    11-1 7k slow
    11-2 7k slow
    11-3 8k for @MobyCarp
    11-4 7k easy
    11-5 yoga
    11-6 7k slow
    11-7 7k easy/yoga
    11-8 rest
    11-9 7k easy
    11-10 7k slow/yoga
    11-11 7k easy/resistance bands
    11-12 rest/yoga
    11-13 7k slow/resistance bands
    11-14 7k slow/yoga
    11-15 rest/resistance bands
    11-16 7k easy/yoga
    11-17 7k easy

November Total: 92k
    November Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k
    October Total: 115k

2019 Total through October: 1,423k / 882.26m

Monthly average: 142.3k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races. Completed 8-31
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k. Nope...
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

Sunny, high 20s F with a little breeze out of the southeast today.

@noblsheep and @ContraryMaryMary: well done on your races!!!!!

2020 goals:

Continue a 5k regimen.
    Train better.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all the racers this weekend!

November Miles - 41.86/70, walk 8.3
    11/03 - 6.25; walk 1.44
    11/04 - walk 1.35
    11/05 - 3.56
    11/06 - 3.63
    11/07 - 3.1
    11/08 - walk 1.12
    11/10 - 6.71; walk 2.23
    11/12 - 3.8
    11/13 - 3.45
    11/14 - 3.27
    11/15 - walk 1.1
    11/16 - 3.01; walk 1.06
    11/17 - 5.08

Yesterday I ran 3 miles with Jackson. It felt easy and fast.

This morning, I was planning on running 7-8 miles. Long story short, I was drenched after an hour in the rain and cut it short. The hot shower afterward was glorious!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep - congratulations even if not a PB it is still a great job! That is a huge race! Do they separate the starts for the different distances? Most of the big races I have been to have the shorter distances either on a different day or well split from the longer distances.
    @ContraryMaryMary - what a gorgeous area but I would be terrified of falling! Awesome job on not falling over and finishing! Congratulations!
    @somum - Ouch!! What a way to run your 1st big race coming back! I hope your ankle is feeling better!

On the watch question from a couple of days ago (yes I am just getting caught up)... I have the Apple Watch and love it. I pair it with a HRM band and run Strava on the watch which both reduce the battery draw. I have never had the battery die at any race or on long runs, even the slow ones over 3 hours. Are there some things I wish it did better? Of course, primarily I would love for Strava to show my actual pace ATM and not the overall for the split or run which are the only 2 choices. Also to be able to set a pace and have it alert me if I am going to fast. But that is a Strava limitation and not a watch issue. I can get it with other apps but I like using Strava because of the community there. I usually take my phone but I don't have to and can still have my music and my husband can track me. I do sometimes think I would like to have a Garmin but I really can't justify it and I don't know that I would use most of the features it provides.

@RunsOnEspresso - I used to run fasted until I started having so many issues and saw the nutritionist. She gave me very specific instructions to eat 30g carbs and 15g fat before a run and the 4:1 carbs to protein afterwards. Lately I have been having more GI issues so I have been running some of my short runs fasted but for long runs I have to eat or I can't finish even with mid-run fueling. Typically it is oatmeal with walnuts and maybe some tart cherries (no milk) and Skratch Labs fruit chews for mid-run.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,189 Member
    Options
    7.5 miles flat, warm, and windless at the beach. It is my 3rd day in a row running and I predicted I would be sore and achy, but it was really nice.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @noblsheep! 3 minutes off without a Garmin is darn good! Did you finish before the slowest VIP? Reading your race report made me miss running!
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    5km evening run, a big sunday lunch still sitting on my stomach.

November goals (all ish)
    1. 15 runs.......................8
    3. 100km........................56km
    4. Long 10km.................11km
    5. 100% Morning runs...5/8