November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @adampeart I like Hal Higdon plans a lot. You can download them for free and there are some that have you running 4 days a week. A lot of other plans have 5 days a week but that doesn't always fit my schedule.

Yer saw them mentioned elsewhere and had a look but my timings aren't going to fit them near the end. I have only 30 mins during the week really and it's getting less with the sun coming up later.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    @adampeart I like Hal Higdon plans a lot. You can download them for free and there are some that have you running 4 days a week. A lot of other plans have 5 days a week but that doesn't always fit my schedule.

@kgirlhart Are these plans in the form of an app? Or are they just paper schedules? I'm looking to replace my Active C25K app and I really like just doing what I'm told to do when I'm told to do it, without having to think of it too much.

I guess what I might need at some point is a watch that allows me to set my own intervals, and that has some bluetooth connectivity so that it can tell my earphones when I should start and stop running.

Actually I'd really like a watch that can do that, as well as connect to WiFi so I can download apps and check my email etc. I have never had a smartwatch before and I am getting tired of carrying around my phone when I run.

What is the difference between an Android smartwatch that basically replaces most of the functions of an Android phone versus a Garmin? People on this thread seem to really like Garmins. What do they do (or not do) that makes them preferable to a generic Apple or Android smartwatch?

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »

@kgirlhart Are these plans in the form of an app? Or are they just paper schedules? I'm looking to replace my Active C25K app and I really like just doing what I'm told to do when I'm told to do it, without having to think of it too much.

I guess what I might need at some point is a watch that allows me to set my own intervals, and that has some bluetooth connectivity so that it can tell my earphones when I should start and stop running.

Actually I'd really like a watch that can do that, as well as connect to WiFi so I can download apps and check my email etc. I have never had a smartwatch before and I am getting tired of carrying around my phone when I run.

What is the difference between an Android smartwatch that basically replaces most of the functions of an Android phone versus a Garmin? People on this thread seem to really like Garmins. What do they do (or not do) that makes them preferable to a generic Apple or Android smartwatch?

As far as I know the Hal Higdon plans don't have an app. I just downloaded it and printed it up and used it as a guideline, tweaking it to fit my goals and training level.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

As far as I know the Hal Higdon plans don't have an app. I just downloaded it and printed it up and used it as a guideline, tweaking it to fit my goals and training level.

@durhammfp
    I'm pretty sure he posted on Facebook recently that they're recently released apps, but I imagine you have to pay for those. Worth checking his website out though
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    As far as Higdon/10K

One nice thing about later Garmins, they rolled out "Garmin Coach." it is a smart plan that adjusts and adapts based on training.
    I did a Garmin Coach 10K plan with a goal of 55:00, and I ran it in 54:30.

Right now I am in the middle of a 1/2 marathon plan and I put 1:50 as my goal time.

It is a pretty handy personalized adaptive plan for me to plod through races. Keeps me motivated to stay on plan.

That's pretty wild. I will have to keep this in mind.