November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Conversation topic just for curiosity sake:

Do you workout fasted? I've done some runs (3ish miles) and some lifting sessions (EARLY AM) fasted. But some people say you should never do that, some say it's not a big deal. I do what feels right for the day/workout but just wondering everyone's thoughts.

For me, if I get up at 4 am I can't eat much, if anything, before working out. The idea of food that early just disgusts me.

I do almost every workout fasted.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Conversation topic just for curiosity sake: Do you workout fasted?

Without eating anything, exercise first thing on an empty stomach: according to https://physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpendo.00163.2018
    To conclude, eating breakfast (vs. fasting) before exercise increases postexercise plasma glucose disposal rates, but this is offset by increases in appearance rates of (mainly) orally ingested glucose, a result that does not appear to be explained by a greater intestinal damage response to the exercise. We showed that preexercise breakfast consumption lowers insulinema at meals that are consumed after exercise, providing new evidence that the second meal effect is maintained even when exercise is performed between eating occasions.

I have never done this. I struggle to get up and exercise, it is easier for me in the afternoon. I may try it as I get closer to my goal weight and the extra pounds become more stubborn. This might be a good way of mixing it up, and improving my blood markers.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I posted this in another forum a couple of weeks ago.

Exercising without eating before seems to be better for metabolic health, and the fuel used during this exercise seems to be a higher percentage from fat, then glycogen.

Just one little data point.

Without eating anything, exercise first thing on an empty stomach: according to https://physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpendo.00163.2018
    To conclude, eating breakfast (vs. fasting) before exercise increases postexercise plasma glucose disposal rates, but this is offset by increases in appearance rates of (mainly) orally ingested glucose, a result that does not appear to be explained by a greater intestinal damage response to the exercise. We showed that preexercise breakfast consumption lowers insulinema at meals that are consumed after exercise, providing new evidence that the second meal effect is maintained even when exercise is performed between eating occasions.

I have never done this. I struggle to get up and exercise, it is easier for me in the afternoon. I may try it as I get closer to my goal weight and the extra pounds become more stubborn. This might be a good way of mixing it up, and improving my blood markers.

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Nice going @Camaramandy648 !

Top tip : When planning an evening run home from work along a country path route surrounded by woods - don't forget a torch!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Conversation topic just for curiosity sake:

Do you workout fasted? I've done some runs (3ish miles) and some lifting sessions (EARLY AM) fasted. But some people say you should never do that, some say it's not a big deal. I do what feels right for the day/workout but just wondering everyone's thoughts.

For me, if I get up at 4 am I can't eat much, if anything, before working out. The idea of food that early just disgusts me.
    That's what I do. Early morning/not hungry = don't eat, maybe stuff a snack in my pocket just in case. It seems to work better than forcing food when I wouldn't be eating anyway, and then going for a run ;)
    On the other hand, if I'm going out to race or for a long run, I typically eat and sometimes have coffee too.

Did 2 runs in 1 today. Yesterday's planned intervals 8x(1min fast, 90sec comfortable), then 5k easy. Too much work, too little energy yesterday, but now I'm caught up to plan.

November goal 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Dec. 14 - CityTrail 5k (#3 of 6)
    Jan. 11 - CityTrail 5k (#4 of 6)

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted on Saturdays and Sundays. I feel like I perform much better without the extra weight and full belly.

ALSO YOU GUYS (and gals) I DID IT!

I RAN TWO MILES (20 MINUTES) WITHOUT STOPPING, WALKING, OR COLLAPSING! I can’t believe it! I didn’t even want to go because I ate like crap today and was certain I would just feel like a failure. But i made myself - MADE myself - just get dressed and go. At whatever point I stopped thinking about how many more songs, how much longer, and just ran. And it was glorious!
    Well done!

x2sy6gr7hky6.gif
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

For every runner, you will find 5 opinions on this I think. I have seen studies that say either or the other is best. Personally, with my blood sugar issues, I rarely go for more than an hour (save when sleeping) without eating something.

Whether I eat or not DURING a run depends on the length of the run, but I almost always eat something in the 15 mins leading up to the race, even if it is a really short (for me) race.

For lifting it is much the same, though I have yet to lift for a long enough session to want to eat during. I do not burn anywhere near as many calories, but I have seen powerlifters and bodybuilders do it.

I really think this falls in to "listen to your own body and do what works for you" category. :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on plant based diets?

Also happy Friday! Long run tomorrow - Id like to go seven miles. :)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    11-1 7k slow
    11-2 7k slow
    11-3 8k for @MobyCarp
    11-4 7k easy
    11-5 yoga
    11-6 7k slow
    11-7 7k easy/yoga
    11-8 rest
    11-9 7k easy
    11-10 7k slow/yoga
    11-11 7k easy/resistance bands
    11-12 rest/yoga
    11-13 7k slow/resistance bands
    11-14 7k slow/yoga
    11-15 rest/resistance bands

November Total: 78k
    November Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k
    October Total: 115k

2019 Total through October: 1,423k / 882.26m

Monthly average: 142.3k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races. Completed 8-31
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k. Nope...
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

Scheduled running rest day today.

2020 goals:

Continue a 5k regimen.
    Train better.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Thoughts on plant based diets?

I am not a vegan (I consider myself an omnivore) but I did try being one for a three-month period once (I was trying to do the Fuhrman diet.) I just could not continue with it. I felt to, I don't know, empty or something. I now follow a whole-foods based way of eating and try to eat as little processed food as possible and have greatly reduced my meat consumption. (I eat red meat maybe 2-3 times a month.) And I eat (non-fat) dairy every day. For me, doing this and losing weight led to a host of benefits as far as my health goes.

I would say this is very much a YMMV issue. Try it and see how you like it. I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor and/or dietician before making a drastic change in how one eats. Also, protein is not so hard to get as a vegan but B12 is something else entirely. You'll most likely have to supplement a lot. (Though nutritional yeast has a lot of B12 I think.) Be very conscious and proactive in how you do this,

But if your question is can vegans be athletic/run a lot? Oh sure. I know several.

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    November Goal – 100 miles

Nov 2 – 5 miles
    Nov 3 – 10 miles for @MobyCarp
    Nov 4 – 5 miles
    Nov 6 – 5.16 miles
    Nov 7 – 5.18 miles
    Nov 8 – 3.30 miles
    Nov 9 – 10.42 miles
    Nov 11 – 5.26 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 1
    Nov 12 – 3.30 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 2
    Nov 13 – 3.20 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 3
    Nov 14 – 3.21 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 4
    Nov 15 – 3.24 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 5

Monthly Total – 62.27 miles
    YTD – 1,018.96 miles

@RunsonEspresso – I run fasted during the week when I run before work but it’s usually not over 5 miles. I will have something light to eat on Saturdays before I do my long runs. I don’t run fasted for any metabolic or scientific reason. I simply refuse to get up any earlier than 4:00 am and eat so that it will have time to digest before I run!

@Camaramandy648 – Congratulations! That will be a milestone that you will always remember!

Tonight some friends and I are heading to Pigeon Forge to do the Dollywood 5K. The run starts at 11:15 pm. This will be a fun run through the lights and decorations. No PRs are expected or planned.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 CONGRATULATIONS! Glad you got past that mental barrier. I'm amazed that you are just starting out and ran at that pace! WTG!

As for working out fasted, I never do. When I was in the Air Force I recall trying to exercise early in the morning without eating and wound up always feeling faint. So, I eat a little something about 30 min to an hour before exercising. I don't normally exercise in the mornings. However, I was able to today, so I got up early and ate a piece of peanut butter toast and had 2 cups of coffee before heading to the treadmill for a 3 mile run.

@Teresa502 I really need to keep up on what races are going on in the area. The Dollywood 5K would have been a fun one to do, even though it will be chilly tonight. I'm about 1.5 hours away from there....maybe less. Have fun!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 I really need to keep up on what races are going on in the area. The Dollywood 5K would have been a fun one to do, even though it will be chilly tonight. I'm about 1.5 hours away from there....maybe less. Have fun!

I only knew about it because some friends ran it last year and were talking about how fun it was. You should definitely keep it on your radar for next year!
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 CONGRATULATIONS! Glad you got past that mental barrier. I'm amazed that you are just starting out and ran at that pace! WTG!

@quilteryoyo I think it has to do with all the running I've done in the past coupled with refusing to stop. There's a lot to be said for just telling the legs to keep going. I don't know how I did it either, but I am so excited about it. I feel like I can keep this in my box of "Things I have Overcome That I Didn't Think I Could Do," and I will pull it out whenever I need a reminder ;)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

For every runner, you will find 5 opinions on this I think. I have seen studies that say either or the other is best. Personally, with my blood sugar issues, I rarely go for more than an hour (save when sleeping) without eating something.

Whether I eat or not DURING a run depends on the length of the run, but I almost always eat something in the 15 mins leading up to the race, even if it is a really short (for me) race.

For lifting it is much the same, though I have yet to lift for a long enough session to want to eat during. I do not burn anywhere near as many calories, but I have seen powerlifters and bodybuilders do it.

I really think this falls in to "listen to your own body and do what works for you" category. :)

That's why I said for conversation. ;)

It seems runners are more likely to do some workout fasted. In the weight training group I'm in they will yell at you if you say you don't eat before an early morning lifting session. *rolls eyes*

• Camaramandy648
    Options
    In regard to working out/ running fasted -

I don't think I've run long enough or gone far enough feel that I need calories before I'm done.

EXCEPT LAST WEEKEND - On Saturday, I ran 6.43 miles and towards the end, I could feel myself getting tired and slowing down. At what point did you determine that you should eat during your run? How do you manage it? What is the best and worst type of food to carry along? I have a running belt for my keys etc, so storage isn't an issue. I just don't want to need a BM while I'm on a trail.......
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    On the fasting question...

I race fasting if possible. Usually will eat a light lunch the day before and nothing else until after the marathon. Usually that means 24-27 hrs. of fasting by the end. But I have had a couple races recently where it was not possible. In one case, I had severe debilitating cramps and would have DNS'ed if not for a late meal with a ton of salt added. The other case was my double, and I ate a late lunch / early dinner between marathons. The other exception is if hypoglycemic. In that case, I do whatever is prudent. For example, in Indianapolis, I took a bunch of candy from strangers (people were giving it out on the course, which was very helpful) and a cookie at the end to manage hypoglycemia. I do carry glucose tablets, but prefer to keep them when other options are available. I have had races rarely where the massive amount of dextrose I bring is still too little. Indianapolis was one of those cases and I did take dextrose at points on the course where there was no candy or Gatorade.