Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Well done, @katharmonic !!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    Way to pick yourself up and best your previous course time @katharmonic! 7.5 minutes is a HUGE time difference in a HM, especially so soon after all those previous races. Way to go!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Race report;

Well this is my first race and I wasn't actually racing so I haven't got much to report. It was the most straight forward half marathon I could find with minimal inclines. Thank you to the jogging gods who decided to keep the rain to less than 5 minutes though the downside was the winds that pushed the clouds past also pushed me backwards as I had to chase my cap around after it took off.

Everything I planned changed almost immediately. My stash of Jelly babies in the rear pocket of my jogging bottoms were dragging said bottoms lower with each stride so they had to be removed which led to the jelly baby massacre as they were scattered in the wind and gathered by nearby gulls. I threw away the water bottle in the first mile as it was so annoying sloshing around, regretted that later as the water stops were difficult for me as I struggled to take on much from the paper cups. Aside from that I just let my body do what it wanted up to 10 miles and it kept a steady pace of between 10 mins and 10:20 per mile. The last three miles were a little tougher and it was a case of telling myself I would be bonkers to not keep going for the last bit as the pace dropped to 10:30 to 10:40 a mile.

I wasn't after a time though I was happy with the chip time of 2:17:47 which is a little quicker than my app time as I started the app before the start and couldn't get my gloves off to stop it at the end.

No swag to talk about other than the medal. Still a very worthwhile day generating funds for a very worthwhile cause.
    xzqnrglwm0on.jpg
    wqn5y34vm8cr.jpg

That's a real inspiration! I've enjoyed keeping up with your running regimen on the C25K forum and I'm glad you're posting here too. Were you the person asking about affordable running shoes? Did you find any you like?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Soooo I DID IT! I ran eight minutes straight, walked five minutes, and ran another eight minutes straight.
    YAY!!! WELL DONE!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Garmin tells me I was up to a 7:29 pace at the end, which is a good sprint for me. And then, blessedly, it was all over. My time was 2:21:59, which beat my last and only other time running this course by 7.5 minutes. It's pretty much right in the middle of the times I had for my two back-to-back halves three weeks ago. Given that, and the Spartan race last week, I'm definitely happy with it.

WOW! Well done!!
  • durhammfp
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I'm going to do this for 2 weeks and reassess. And hopefully find a balance.

It sounds like you have a great plan. Good luck!

• durhammfp
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    ... This was a test to see if I might be able to run my race without them but proved to me that my feet weren't ready for that change yet....

Speaking of ospreys - the resident trail osprey was back out in the dead tree with a crow that was reading him the riot act. The osprey was just looking at him like, dude, leave me alone! Right after I took the picture the crow gave up and flew away....

Is there a reason *not* to wear orthotics? I love the observation about the osprey. Moments like that are why I love running outdoors. Around here, though, you're more likely to encounter aggressive owls that go after runners, lol.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    ... This was a test to see if I might be able to run my race without them but proved to me that my feet weren't ready for that change yet....

Speaking of ospreys - the resident trail osprey was back out in the dead tree with a crow that was reading him the riot act. The osprey was just looking at him like, dude, leave me alone! Right after I took the picture the crow gave up and flew away....

Is there a reason *not* to wear orthotics? I love the observation about the osprey. Moments like that are why I love running outdoors. Around here, though, you're more likely to encounter aggressive owls that go after runners, lol.

This, also most (if not all) hydration packs you can change out the bladder with a new one if the old one leaks. The bladder does not normally even have to be the same brand as the pack.