November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Today was the Wags and Whiskers 5K. This was my 3rd year to run it. It was a perfect day for running. About 45°F, sunny and no wind. I wore shorts and a t-shirt and it was just right. This race is at the park near my home so I just ran up there for my warm up and had my husband meet me there. I felt like I ran really well today. I had negative splits. My average pace was 8:31. Garmin gave me a 5K PR of 26:36. My official time was 27:33 chip time and 27:36 gun time. Garmin showed the course to be 3.24 which is what it showed last year too. My overall Garmin time was 27:36 which matched the gun time. I don't really know if I should count it as a PR or not, but I do. I think the course is long. And when I ran a HM that gave me an official time of 2:12 I didn't count that because that course was short and I used my Garmin number of 2:15 which was still a PR. Either way I ran it faster than last year on this same course by 2 minutes and ~30 seconds. There was a new woman in my age group who was really fast and so I ended up with 2nd AG and 4th overall woman. I was still pleased and I did get a medal which was nice because they only give medal to those who place not to everyone.

Great job!

As for the PR, you can always call it a course PR if you do not feel you earned an overall PR.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Today was the Wags and Whiskers 5K. This was my 3rd year to run it. It was a perfect day for running. About 45°F, sunny and no wind. I wore shorts and a t-shirt and it was just right. This race is at the park near my home so I just ran up there for my warm up and had my husband meet me there. I felt like I ran really well today. I had negative splits. My average pace was 8:31. Garmin gave me a 5K PR of 26:36. My official time was 27:33 chip time and 27:36 gun time. Garmin showed the course to be 3.24 which is what it showed last year too. My overall Garmin time was 27:36 which matched the gun time. I don't really know if I should count it as a PR or not, but I do. I think the course is long. And when I ran a HM that gave me an official time of 2:12 I didn't count that because that course was short and I used my Garmin number of 2:15 which was still a PR. Either way I ran it faster than last year on this same course by 2 minutes and ~30 seconds. There was a new woman in my age group who was really fast and so I ended up with 2nd AG and 4th overall woman. I was still pleased and I did get a medal which was nice because they only give medal to those who place not to everyone.

Great job!

As for the PR, you can always call it a course PR if you do not feel you earned an overall PR.

A PR is a PR!!!!!
    Well done!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart congrats on your race! I'd go with the official chip time personally but either way, excellent work!
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly Way to go on your half! I LOL'd at your jelly baby massacre description :lol:
    @RunsOnEspresso Those are beautiful pictures
    @Scott6255 Nice job gutting out the 20 miles while having GI issues!
    @kgirlhart Congratulations on the AG place, that's a great time
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

Great job!

I let Strava do its thing, but I go by official race times for my own purposes. Frequently Strava reaches the distance before I reach the finish line, so it thinks most of my PR's are slightly better than they are. Close enough for me.

My friend, on the other hand, has been having trouble with his phone not locking to the GPS signal through Strava, and it's giving him jumpy maps and ridiculously fast times and PR's :/
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Great job!

I let Strava do its thing, but I go by official race times for my own purposes. Frequently Strava reaches the distance before I reach the finish line, so it thinks most of my PR's are slightly better than they are. Close enough for me.

My friend, on the other hand, has been having trouble with his phone not locking to the GPS signal through Strava, and it's giving him jumpy maps and ridiculously fast times and PR's :/

My Garmin does a pretty good job so I let it track my PRs mainly because a year later I will not remember what a given random chip time was, but I can always look up on Strava/Garmin/Run Keeper's history.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Oops wrong thread