November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    adampeart wrote: »
    q4371qn8jmt5.jpeg

I tried going for a run. English weather decided it didn’t want me to! Slipping every other step just warming up never mind running!! Think I need some of those spike things 😂

If you have a worn out pair of running shoes and some hex screws, you can make screw shoes!

Another suggestion, one I personally do, is to buy TRAIL RUNNING SHOES and use them for running in the snow and ice. They do far better than street shoes and do not have metal screws in them so if you want to duck into a store/coffee shop/etc you do not have to worry about scratching up floors/etc.

I use Salomon mission XR because they are the best rated for over probation that i could find. They are great!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Today is long run day. It’s also the day in my program that I run eight minutes straight. I am feeling excited and anxious and at the same time like staying in bed and watching TV all day would be more fun.

But I’m going to do it.

I am almost done with the book Born to Run and I can’t help wonder why we aren’t all running barefoot

Because not all of us are made with feet for it. I have done much barefoot running, but it is not the magic pill that is made out to be. Some people will greatly benefit from doing SOME barefoot running as it helps teach you not to slap the ground so hard with your feet, and overall helps teach better form, but given the greatly varied terrain and temperatures we cover AND the various foot/ankle differences we are born with, it is not for everyone, and many people will get hurt if they try it for extended periods. :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I'm still bummed with you about your stuff :( Hope you can find some good replacement gear (and the funds to cover it all).
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Today is long run day. It’s also the day in my program that I run eight minutes straight. I am feeling excited and anxious and at the same time like staying in bed and watching TV all day would be more fun.

But I’m going to do it.

I am almost done with the book Born to Run and I can’t help wonder why we aren’t all running barefoot

Because not all of us are made with feet for it. I have done much barefoot running, but it is not the magic pill that is made out to be. Some people will greatly benefit from doing SOME barefoot running as it helps teach you not to slap the ground so hard with your feet, and overall helps teach better form, but given the greatly varied terrain and temperatures we cover AND the various foot/ankle differences we are born with, it is not for everyone, and many people will get hurt if they try it for extended periods. :)

I think it would be fun to try it but I’m already a pretty clumsy person so i could imagine finding a way to rip a toe off on the trail.

I overpronate but the book implies that over probation has more to do with wearing shoes than it does the ankle.

Still, I am hesitant to run barefoot in the cold or on a trail.

I might just try to focus on not letting my feet slap anyway
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    adampeart wrote: »
    q4371qn8jmt5.jpeg

I tried going for a run. English weather decided it didn’t want me to! Slipping every other step just warming up never mind running!! Think I need some of those spike things 😂

If you have a worn out pair of running shoes and some hex screws, you can make screw shoes!

That could go very well or extremely badly :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Love the train @TheMrWobbly! Good job pushing through the last few miles!

@RunsOnEspresso That looks like a wonderful place for a run, and a great hydration vest ;)

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep
    Thanks for the running form and drills post! I do strength training already - so far, it didn't do any miracles, so I think I really should do something targeted at running form. So now I've ordered elastic bands to try those stationary drills.
    In principle I know about drills like skips and butt kicks too, but somehow I never do them :sweat_smile: Something I should change too!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Love the train @TheMrWobbly! Good job pushing through the last few miles!

@RunsOnEspresso That looks like a wonderful place for a run, and a great hydration vest ;)

It has so many pockets! LOL