Has anyone deleted their Facebook account?

Replies

• Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    It's quite normal for me to delete mine for months at a time. Right now I'm at a record 4 months.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    I deleted mine almost two years ago, don't miss it one bit.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    no, and i never will. I keep in touch with lots of old friends and relatives that live far away with it.

Me too. I am on it much less than I used to be though. And playing games on it is a giant time suck.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Haven't deleted it but have come close. still being friends with my ex on there caused issues for a while, with some of her updates hitting hard even though she probably didnt mean them that way, and have to admit was boarding on obsessive checking on her profile.

We're close friends now though and removed her from the close friends setting on Facebook so only see her updates if happen to log on at right time. Also need facebook as I run a page for our rugby team on there to keep people updated with events and stuff.

Another of my friends did delete her profile though to stop herself checking on her ex.
  • no, and i never will. I keep in touch with lots of old friends and relatives that live far away with it.

Same here!!!

This is how I feel about Facebook (just in general, NOT directed at anyone in this thread):
    It shouldn't be your life. You should still go outside, go to school or work, take a shower, take care of yourself, maintain relationships and talk to people face to face. Basically, you should be able to remain a functional human being and not become a slave to your computer or phone. If you are able to manage that, Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with out of town friends and family, and it's a great place to reunite with old friends. YOU have complete control over what you post and who you post it to (so if you don't want people to know something about you, don't post it.). As long as you understand how to work the privacy settings, you can decide to not let anyone post to your wall, to require your approval before things post to your wall, or for tagging purposes. You can remove friends from your newfeed, you can unfriend "friends" who are no longer friendly OR you can block annoying people entirely. You can also block annoying games, applications & requests. In my opinion, there's nothing really wrong with Facebook itself. It's all in how you use it. Since I joined in 2008, I've had a positive, drama-free experience. That being said, I understand that not everybody has had the same experience as me and FB is clearly not for everyone. My husband has never used it and has never wanted to. I also have a few friends who only use FB intermittently and deactivate from time to time, as well as friends who have deleted their accounts entirely. You just have to decide what's right for you and be happy with your choice.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    One of them, yes. Consolidate it to one profile.
  • Yep.......best thing I ever did.
  • judiiiiindisguise
    judiiiiindisguise Posts: 63 Member
    No, didn't delete my account ... but just yesterday I deleted 40 friends. Friends who we have never interacted on Facebook.

Get this, I call Facebook ... FAKE BOOK.

:drinker:
    love this ^
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    I deactivated my account a few times and finally deleted the account this past fall.

Because I wanted to set up a FB page for my blog, I had to set up a new personal account due to the fact that you can't have a FB page without a personal account.

A few things I find interesting:

1. I had to search Youtube to find out how to delete my account. FB doesn't make that information easily available and it takes more than a click of a button to delete the account.

2. When I set up the new account, I put in some fake information, such as where I live, where I was born, etc. I had my name displayed with my last name first and my first name last. I did all that because I did not want to be found by anyone or suggested to anyone with their "you may know this person" feature. I don't use the personal side of the account. I have not added anyone and I am only active on my FB Page. With all of that, FB is still able to "suggest" people that I used to be "friends" with on my old account. It's obvious that they still retained my information from the deleted account. Myy name if is not super uncommon and very generic, so how are they able to still associate me with people I used to be friends with.?
  • I deleted mine for almost six months, but after so many texts and in-person asks of "What happened to your facebook?" "Why did you delete it?" "I feel like we never talk anymore because you dont have it", I re-activated it just for show. I rarely go on or post anything.

Tumblr is my big addiction that I'm trying to cut back on....
  • Bracciano
    Bracciano Posts: 85 Member
    I did completely due to the nature of my current job and I can't have my clients contacting me outside of normal business channels. That and I hated other people posting stuff on my walls so I took all of my real-life friends' information and now I just actually email or call them instead, but I am still on twitter though it has been quiet for a few weeks now.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    I'm seriously considering it. Things are about to change drastically in my life, and I'd rather not have people looking at my FB account. Nothing too terrible, but I don't want it to hurt any chances for a better opportunity in the near future. Has anyone deleted their FB, Twitter accounts? I'll (of course) keep my linkedin account...for various reasons.
    I recently read an article when your account is closed/deleted (at least visibly by you) it still exists for others to find. Nothing put on the Internet ever actually leaves the Internet. They can find it if they look, once you put something up it's up for good. That's why many suggest don't ever put photos or posts you might regreat because they can't be taken back once out there.:ohwell: Facebook itself says it owns the info on members pages and it remains their property.
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    I try to stay off fb for weeks at a time. Haven't quite made it a full month yet. I keep it for my business and friends who live in other states. it's crazy how many "friends" I don't talk to anymore since not getting on fb as much! :)

Peggy
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    No, I wouldn't delete my fb account. I keep up with family that way, but I spend way more time on MFP than I do on fb.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    I'm thinking of doing that. I kept it for family but when your close family rarely knows you are there. Whats the point? :bigsmile:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    You should delete your posts here too, as this is completely public and see you talking about hiding something from facebook.

Basically, if you want to keep it secret, don't put it online, although facebook (used properly) can be very private.
  • what you can delete it... i thought you could only deactivate it... i tried before and it said your stuff basically wont ever be deleted from there? thats the thing i hate about it... once it is up its always there...?
  • wowhb30
    wowhb30 Posts: 15 Member
    I think I'm one of the rare people that never even made a Facebook profile and I never even felt the need to. I'm always hearing how people get so caught up in what other people are doing, causing drama, etc. so I just never wanted it. I don't care about friending someone that I had one class with back in high school or I don't care what you had for breakfast. If I did, I'll call or text you.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    After reading all of the reasons i actually just went and deactivated mine. I hope this frees up stuff in my life
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    I deleted my account a long time ago and have not looked back. Personally, I find it to be completely useless and a waste a of time, not to mention phone memory space. Originally it was to keep in touch with friends who were long distance, but it wasn't even doing that since those friends either deleted their profiles or didn't check their accounts. So what's the point? Bye Facebook.