Should I switch to almond milk ?

It’s the exact same price at my grocery store so I’m wondering what are the benefits of switching to almond milk. Does unsweetened almond milk taste like milk?

Replies

• xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    The main thing that seemed to catch my eye was the lower calories. Just wondering if there was anything else
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    What are you going for use it for and what percent of fat is the milk you use? To me the taste is totally different. Closest to compare if you've never had plant-based milks is skim milk. I was planning on getting oat milk for oatmeal when I spotted cashew and decided to try for the first time and prefer almond milk (vanilla unsweetened) way more even though cashews are my favorite nut. If you're looking for replacing milk in coffee my favorite is oat milk but it's not the same. Probably doesn't help you!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I switched to almond milk because it is lower in calories but more importantly, I prefer the taste. If you prefer the taste of normal cow's milk there is really little benefit in changing. Just make sure it fits within your calorie goals.
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    I actually hate the taste of regular milk. I only use it for recipes that require it, smoothies, or chocolate milk. So I would use almond milk for the same things
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    If you are interested in the nutrients etc., you cold try having different types, or varying for what you use them for. I use normal milk for my tea but use cashew milk for chia pudding which I have regularly. Sometimes I have coconut milk and it makes a lovely low calorie hot chocolate.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I like the taste better of almond milk, and I like that it's lower calorie.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2019
    I like the taste better of almond milk, and I like that it's lower calorie.

Same. And hubby's mildly allergic to dairy, so win/win.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    If you rely on the protein in milk to meet your protein goals, then switching to almond milk wouldn't work. Nut milks have very little protein.

In smoothies and protein shakes, I often use unsweetened vanilla cashew milk. I like the taste.

Although I gave up coffee a couple of years ago due to GERD, I seem to remember that nut milks don't blend in well.

I like cashew milk too! I mainly stick to almond because it's a bit cheaper overall.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Give it a shot I use it in protein smoothies for the lower calorie load. I find it doesn't really taste like much, but it does tend to satiate me better than when I mix protein powder with just water.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2019
    I actually hate the taste of regular milk. I only use it for recipes that require it, smoothies, or chocolate milk. So I would use almond milk for the same things

It works for smoothies and you can add chocolate and see if you like the taste. Depending on the recipe it might not work as a substitute.

Milk has more cals, but also more protein.

I never use any milk before it goes bad, so I just make cashew milk at home (homemade cashew milk, unlike almond milk, often uses the whole cashew, which makes it more caloric, but I like the nutritional profile of cashews and don't like wasting nuts). Plus I pretty much only use it for smoothies and so adding fat is usually a plus.

Anyway, I'd use whatever you like best, so try the almond milk and see. Soymilk is also an option with more cals but also more protein.
  • porkchopsandapple
    porkchopsandapple Posts: 30 Member
    I have drank Almond milk for probably the last 4 years or so. Mainly because I do not like cows milk. It's fine. Recently ive discovered Oat Milk. It is a little carby so if you are trying to cut those check the numbers first, but it has a texture thats the closest to a 2% milk then any other substitute I've ever tried. I love it in coffee and smoothies.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I have drank Almond milk for probably the last 4 years or so. Mainly because I do not like cows milk. It's fine. Recently ive discovered Oat Milk. It is a little carby so if you are trying to cut those check the numbers first, but it has a texture thats the closest to a 2% milk then any other substitute I've ever tried. I love it in coffee and smoothies.

Same! I prefer Oat Milk over the others, it's a bit creamier.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Around here its almond / cashew beverage... right on the box.

Fair enough. I suppose if I lived there, I would call it cashew beverage then. Here, it is called milk.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2019
    Its NOT milk. Please stop calling it that. Its an almond / cashew / coconut infused water. Also instead of buying try making this at home. Stupid easy.

Not sure I would stop calling it by the name that is on the label. Almond milk has been called milk since the 18th century.

Around here its almond / cashew beverage... right on the box.

It's mostly "almond milk" on the cartons I've seen in the US. Does Canada have some law about it? I wouldn't mind if we started calling it bruet of Almayn again, however.

Or there's this:

l7xgj9ixj31m.jpg