Things I have been doing wrong

I have fallen far from my once mindful eating and fitness. If I am not mindful of my eating, I am overeating- that's just the way I seem to work. I keep on trying but I have noticed that one of the things I have gotten away from that may be contributing to my lack of success is not eating regular meals. Somewhere along the way, I stopped having breakfast. I used to have a cup of oatmeal and maybe some fruit in the morning or an egg. Now I have nothing- claiming I don't get hungry until about 10 or 11. So I've been just waiting for lunch and then what do I do? Make excuses that since I didn't have breakfast....well- you know the answer. And I'm over hungry at that point so I'm not making good decisions. So today I will get back into eating that breakfast and having a good snack or two spaced in between. I think this might be a good revelation for me and get me on the right road!

Replies

• lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Monday I started and already screwed up. The diet i was doing and trying to do was I guess too restrictive when I wrote it all out it was fine , and this always happens to me whenever I eat salads I feel so hungry still , and it’s always the same I feel good in the morning and then I always feel starving
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    ehloring1 wrote: »
    I have fallen far from my once mindful eating and fitness. If I am not mindful of my eating, I am overeating- that's just the way I seem to work. I keep on trying but I have noticed that one of the things I have gotten away from that may be contributing to my lack of success is not eating regular meals. Somewhere along the way, I stopped having breakfast. I used to have a cup of oatmeal and maybe some fruit in the morning or an egg. Now I have nothing- claiming I don't get hungry until about 10 or 11. So I've been just waiting for lunch and then what do I do? Make excuses that since I didn't have breakfast....well- you know the answer. And I'm over hungry at that point so I'm not making good decisions. So today I will get back into eating that breakfast and having a good snack or two spaced in between. I think this might be a good revelation for me and get me on the right road!

I used to do that very same thing, skip breakfast and figure I could eat a bigger lunch, which seemed to become a non-stop eat-fest for the rest of the day. :/ But I like to get my exercise out of the way first thing in the a.m. now so need that fuel. Plus after eating oatmeal or eggs I find myself staying very satisfied until 11:30ish. It's definitely something for you to try! :) Do you count calories with MFP? That's been a game changer for me. I used to log calories myself but this is so much easier here and pretty much automatic for me now. Love it!!!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    yeh - I do this too - if I don't eat breakfast, or skip a meal, I end up eating bits and pieces all day and it adds up to more than a meal.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    ...how about giving a damn of what other people think of me, people that don't even matter?!?
  • lillyy23
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    lillyy23 wrote: »
    Monday I started and already screwed up. The diet i was doing and trying to do was I guess too restrictive when I wrote it all out it was fine , and this always happens to me whenever I eat salads I feel so hungry still , and it’s always the same I feel good in the morning and then I always feel starving

Yeh, I eat and love salads but have to also include foods I also love(can we say peanut butter??) in order to not feel deprived. I think that's a big issue; people feel like they're missing out on foods they like better so start craving them more. :/
    On MSN this a.m. there was an article about a guy who lost 40 lbs. by listing all the foods he found himself wanting during the week, on a post-it note. Then 1 day a week he'd eat some of those foods. He found that he'd end up eating a couple or few of those foods, not all of them. That might be the trick. Lol He said 1 cheat day a week did not derail his healthier days, he still lost weight, and didn't feel deprived because he could still look forward to some of his favorites.

omg thats awesome I am gonna look for that article lol. I love peanut butter too... like I used to hate it but now i really like it.. its so great for a little sweetness lol. I have tried counting before but I never know what im doing .. but i been researching.. and last time i did it i was always starving so this time im gonna try to track but make sure im eating healthy so i feel fuller more protein, more veggies so i actually feel full... I think i made quesadillas and burgers last time and felt so hungry. So this time i am gonna try to be healthy but the thing about this is, that it feels like we're cheating and in a way is like, i dont really understand 100% how this all works.. lol like all i have to do is use the calculator and eat that many calories everyday?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

Yeh, I eat and love salads but have to also include foods I also love(can we say peanut butter??) in order to not feel deprived. I think that's a big issue; people feel like they're missing out on foods they like better so start craving them more. :/
    On MSN this a.m. there was an article about a guy who lost 40 lbs. by listing all the foods he found himself wanting during the week, on a post-it note. Then 1 day a week he'd eat some of those foods. He found that he'd end up eating a couple or few of those foods, not all of them. That might be the trick. Lol He said 1 cheat day a week did not derail his healthier days, he still lost weight, and didn't feel deprived because he could still look forward to some of his favorites.

omg thats awesome I am gonna look for that article lol. I love peanut butter too... like I used to hate it but now i really like it.. its so great for a little sweetness lol. I have tried counting before but I never know what im doing .. but i been researching.. and last time i did it i was always starving so this time im gonna try to track but make sure im eating healthy so i feel fuller more protein, more veggies so i actually feel full... I think i made quesadillas and burgers last time and felt so hungry. So this time i am gonna try to be healthy but the thing about this is, that it feels like we're cheating and in a way is like, i dont really understand 100% how this all works.. lol like all i have to do is use the calculator and eat that many calories everyday?

Yes, for weight management, especially in the short run, eating the right number of calories is all we need to do.

Even in the short run, many people find that eating mostly nutrient-dense foods helps with feeling full, which in turn helps with compliance long-term with that calorie goal; and that eating many calorie-dense foods will be unhelpful with satiation (they're often not very filling, and cause cravings for some). Some people think of it as 80% nutrient-dense foods, 20% treats, but I don't try to apply math to that part. I do believe that some treats sometimes are part of a happy life ;) , and not "cheating".

In the longer run, good nutrition is important for health, body composition (muscle vs. fat), and energy level. Those things, when on the postive side, can help or hinder ability to reach then stay at a healthy weight long term. Nutrition also affects good appearance, and that's important to some people, too.

Personally, I liked following an approach that dialed in the calorie level first, then gradually chipped away at experimenting to improve satiation, nutrition, and all-round satisfaction with eating after that: Sort of a long-term remodeling project for my eating, in effect.

If that approach appeals to you, there's a thread about it here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    Planning is key, for me, anyway. I use MFP to make a game plan for the week ahead, with the understanding that some of it might have to change. I make sure I have all the foods I need on hand, and if I'm eating out, I try to find a menu online or at least guess what I might be having. I will assume that any restaurant meal will be loaded with calories and so I will plan to eat smaller/less calorie dense meals on that day or the next to make up for it. (My iHOP breakfast the other day set me back a whopping 710 calories and that was a "lower calorie" option!)
    I mostly cook at home, so I know what I'm eating.

I do try and keep tabs on how it's going during the day, and I'm aware if I'm exercising/burning more calories so i have more leeway. I use a pedometer to gauge my activity level/calories burned (aside from intentional exercise) and it's pretty accurate.

All this keeps me honest and on track. I do have days when I won't track or weigh anything, just eat mindfully and get back on track the very next day, or after the weekend if it's a special situation.
    It doesn't have to be obsessive; it's a matter of being conscious of what you're doing, why, and advance preparation.
    I also weigh myself every single day, same time, so I really know my natural fluctuations, and I also listen to my body. If I'm really, PHYSICALLY feeling weak and hungry, I EAT! I count it all, but some days I seem to need a "good feed" to replenish my system. It's not a license to binge, but I might decide I want 4 cups of pasta, and I'm gonna eat it!
    Those days haven't set me back at all, because they're isolated and not extreme.

Another tip is to focus on real, whole foods, because they're more filling, more nutritious, and don't leave you starving a few hours later like most processed foods will. Good luck!
  • ehloring1
    ehloring1 Posts: 26 Member
    So far I have had two successful days. I made sure I prepared for my meals and had breakfast and lunch both days. I have given myself a high calorie allotment-1800- which is my just in case allotment. Both days I have eaten in the 1300 range but I want to have the extra available just in case I need it without feeling guilty. I have also been reintroducing exercise into my day- starting off small but hopefully I will build up strength and consistency.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    someone on here, who's been maintaining for many years shared how they eat whatever they want one day a week but only a bite or two of each thing they want
  • lillyy23
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes, for weight management, especially in the short run, eating the right number of calories is all we need to do.

Even in the short run, many people find that eating mostly nutrient-dense foods helps with feeling full, which in turn helps with compliance long-term with that calorie goal; and that eating many calorie-dense foods will be unhelpful with satiation (they're often not very filling, and cause cravings for some). Some people think of it as 80% nutrient-dense foods, 20% treats, but I don't try to apply math to that part. I do believe that some treats sometimes are part of a happy life ;) , and not "cheating".

In the longer run, good nutrition is important for health, body composition (muscle vs. fat), and energy level. Those things, when on the postive side, can help or hinder ability to reach then stay at a healthy weight long term. Nutrition also affects good appearance, and that's important to some people, too.

Personally, I liked following an approach that dialed in the calorie level first, then gradually chipped away at experimenting to improve satiation, nutrition, and all-round satisfaction with eating after that: Sort of a long-term remodeling project for my eating, in effect.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Omg thank you for the information, thanks for being understanding lol I know I sound kinda dumb its something I should know I guess... alot of stuff on nutrition is like we are assumed we should know but nobody says it out loud.. im gonna check out that link I have alot to learn still. i am just kinda nervous you know about the calorie number , like if i should have 1200? 1300, 1400?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

Omg thank you for the information, thanks for being understanding lol I know I sound kinda dumb its something I should know I guess... alot of stuff on nutrition is like we are assumed we should know but nobody says it out loud.. im gonna check out that link I have alot to learn still. i am just kinda nervous you know about the calorie number , like if i should have 1200? 1300, 1400?

Well, it's a little off topic for this thread, which really should focus on what the original post/poster (OP) was focused on. It's usually best to start your own thread if you have different question. :)

So, with apologies to the person who started this thread:

The basic idea is to pick a weight loss rate that's sensible for your current body weight, which for most people is no more than 1% of one's current body weight, and slower is fine. Severely obese people may be able to lose a little faster for a while (under close/frequent medical supervision). For people with maybe 25-50 pounds or less total to lose, slower than 1% a week would be better. The point is that this is going to be a process that takes a while, and it's important to be getting adequate nutrition (via adequate calories) along the way, plus it's easier to stick to it, if we take it gradually.

You put that weight loss rate into your MFP goals, then eat the number of calories it gives you (plus a reasonable estimate of exercise calories, if you exercise). Do that for 4-6 weeks (a minimum of one full menstrual cycle for premenopausal women so you compare weights at the same point in two different cycles). Then, compare your average weight loss rate to the sensible goal rate, and adjust calorie goals as needed to hit the weight loss rate goal. Re-evaluate about every 10 pounds lost, and just keep going.

That's just a summary. This thread is a really good, more detailed view of the basics:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Then go on to read the "Most Helpful Posts" sections in the forum topic areas, starting with these:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads
  • HoosierPenguin
    HoosierPenguin Posts: 7 Member
    ehloring1 wrote: »
    On the right track: completed a Leslie Sansone 1 mile; cleaned the bedroom, oatmeal w/applesauce for breakfast before 10 am. I know I can keep myself occupied today so I won't be bored and looking for something to eat. This is getting on the road.

Those Leslie Sansone videos have been really good for me, especially in the brutal winter months.
  • lillyy23

Well, it's a little off topic for this thread, which really should focus on what the original post/poster (OP) was focused on. It's usually best to start your own thread if you have different question. :)

So, with apologies to the person who started this thread:

The basic idea is to pick a weight loss rate that's sensible for your current body weight, which for most people is no more than 1% of one's current body weight, and slower is fine. Severely obese people may be able to lose a little faster for a while (under close/frequent medical supervision). For people with maybe 25-50 pounds or less total to lose, slower than 1% a week would be better. The point is that this is going to be a process that takes a while, and it's important to be getting adequate nutrition (via adequate calories) along the way, plus it's easier to stick to it, if we take it gradually.

You put that weight loss rate into your MFP goals, then eat the number of calories it gives you (plus a reasonable estimate of exercise calories, if you exercise). Do that for 4-6 weeks (a minimum of one full menstrual cycle for premenopausal women so you compare weights at the same point in two different cycles). Then, compare your average weight loss rate to the sensible goal rate, and adjust calorie goals as needed to hit the weight loss rate goal. Re-evaluate about every 10 pounds lost, and just keep going.

That's just a summary. This thread is a really good, more detailed view of the basics:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Then go on to read the "Most Helpful Posts" sections in the forum topic areas, starting with these:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads

Ohh alright sure :) thanks so much.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Here's a link that might be useful for you to read. I like this guy a lot and he talks a lot of sense.

https://syattfitness.com/fat-loss/how-to-lose-weight-without-counting-calories/
  • ehloring1
    ehloring1 Posts: 26 Member
    I personally need to be mindful and count calories. I do know what a portion sizes should be but it's real easy to forget, make excuses or have that bit more that doesn't really count? You have to know who you're dealing with and I know me. Even when I was maintaining- I still had to keep track. On the other side- I can eat anything I want. I have figured out how to add the treats into my day or if I have an upcoming event, I will plan for it.
    It just comes down to what works for each individual!