WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• knitski2002
    knitski2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The last item ordered for Christmas should arrive today. So stressful. Relatives keep texting me for gift ideas for my hubby and children. The kids have been married and out of the house for a few years now. I have a hard time thinking of things to give them myself let alone coming up with more ideas for other people to give them. Oh well at least my grandson is easy to buy for. He's 2 1/2 so there is a lot out there for him. Well, here I go out to battle the below zero temps to take a walk.

Shirley from Northern NY
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I know blue tooth earbuds were discussed on here several months ago. At the the time, I didn't pay much attention but now am thinking of getting some. I think you posted a photo or link of the ones you like? Looking for recommendations. B) Thanks!

Tina - good news about your DH. <3 Enjoy your trip.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Heather - Neither my sister nor I would play with dolls growing up, which disappointed the parents enormously. We played with stuffed toys, animals and such. Dolls are hideous even when they don't talk (IMHO).

Rant - Read at your own risk:
    Slugged it out with the VA all week long to get my thyroid prescription renewed for one month until I see the doctor in January for full blood testing. They wanted me to come in for labs, as my TSH hadn't been tested for more than a year. I proved that was wrong WITH THEIR OWN LAB TESTS IN THEIR OWN SYSTEM. Most annoying that I can read their system better than they can. They grudgingly agreed to a 30-day prescription, said they'd notify me when it would be ready, notified me yesterday morning it would be ready at 2 pm, I get there at 3, and ... the office never sent it down to the clinic to be filled. So there was a completely wasted hour getting there and back, and yet another nasty gram from me to the office to please send the dang prescription. Then I get a message from them at 5 p.m. last night, just before they walked out the door, to ask me where they should send the blinking thing. I'm at my wits end. I can't change until next year's enrollment period, but I'm pretty fed up with the VA.

This would be different if thyroid medications were being sold on the black market and kids were huffing them - I would get the procedural safety precautions. But thyroid meds?

Anyway - I've got like three hours left of my workday until I'm done for 16 days, and we are now officially in "time is dragging" mode. Gonna go get stuck into a grant and forget about the clock for awhile.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    RV Rita- (I got IBSD,Ulcerative y microscopic colitis) Maybe go back to a basic diet for colitis
    1.Toast
    2.soup
    3liquid y soft foods
    4.banana to juices that are low acidic

Work your way back up to solids to help the inflammation . Buy some chocolate Sugarfree jello pudding (I put unsweetened almond milk)y Sugarfree jello you can go crazy on those they won’t effect weight or symptoms.

Amber Tx

Eating a Vegetarian pizza- cheese y mushrooms.couldnt even look at the chicken or egg whites
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Your DDIL does quite a bit of public speaking. Perhaps she can offer useful advice and coach your DH so that he is able to be comfortable in the situation. :flowerforyou: I didn’t know that Britain was having flooding problems. Sending good wishes for safety for all. :heart:

Machka: Love your container garden!!! I have herbs in containers. There are three blueberry bushes in the ground, dormant in winter, and I plant purplepod beans in summer. They turn green during cooking. I love them because their color makes it easy to see and pick them. :devil:

Karen in VA: Your rant is well warranted. When I was being treated for the sinus infection that plagued me most of the fall, the doctor was absolutely supportive but her assistant was not. I requested a medication refill and the assistant told me to use over the counter medicine instead. I immediately requested to speak to the doctor who promptly ordered a prescription refill. Being your own advocate is often vital. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: We are having a wet day so far. The river is within its banks and we are not worried about flooding at this point. The dam keepers on the Columbia River do a good job managing stream flow. Our home was flooded once before we bought it due to a goof-up at Bonneville, but they’ve been very meticulous ever since. That was the winter of 1995/96. We moved here in 1997 after our youngest graduated from high school. :star:

(((RV Rita))): I hope you feel better soon. I’ve had colitis in the distant past. NO FUN at all. Mine was caused by lactose intolerance. A dollop of butter would likely do me in & so would real cream. Thankfully, lactose free milk is readily available, and I actually like margarine. :bigsmile:

(((Tina in CA))): Stress eating is something many of us battle. I hope your stress eases ASAP. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I am sorry that the VA isn’t doing a better job filling your prescription. :grumble:

Yesterday I bought a new living Christmas Tree, planted in a red plastic bucket. I thought it was smaller than our than our previous tree that also came in a red plastic bucket several years ago. The original kept blowing over in the wind, and we put in in a heavy ceramic pot. Unfortunately, the ceramic pot makes the tree too heavy for me to safely lift on my own these days and I can’t bring it into the house. DH is not able to help. The new one I bought is about the same height as the old one. I thought it was smaller when I saw it at the garden center. I can easily lift in on my own. Now I’m wondering what to do with the extra tree after Christmas. I may donate the original to a park or see whether it can be planted somewhere here in the townhouse community. I donated a too big tree to a park in our old home town. It was a win, win situation back then.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa & Katla I realize everyone make mistakes. The reluctance to fix the mistake is puzzling. I experienced it & so did Lisa.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    The county of Sussex has got flooding problems. The motorway to Gatwick Airport is flooded and closed. The train line from Brighton to Gatwick is closed with flooding and landslips.
    So many people trying to get away on their holidays. :'( We have have over 20" of rain this month, a lot of it in the last few days.
    The flooding may mean that DH 's daughter can't get down to us on Sunday evening if they can't sort it out. More rain is expected. Just in case, I have put her dinner in the freezer. Easy enough to retrieve it if it's ok by then.

I've bought ingredients for the stuffing, which I will assemble tomorrow and freeze. I have parboiled the potatoes and parsnips and they will be frozen when they have cooled.
    My son, who has just brought the last if the kid's presents round to be wrapped, says his MIL is fed up with cooking Christmas dinner for 50 years. This year she has bought frozen roast potatoes and parsnips! Heresy! :laugh:

For tonight I have cooked one of our favourites - goat curry with sweetcorn. In the IP. It is smelling heavenly. With broccoli.

Now I've wrapped the presents, including the hideous talking doll, which has been banned to the garage as she won't stop talking, I can RELAX. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Reminds me when we bought a nephew a helmet that had a siren. SIL still reminds us WHAT WERE WE THINKING!!!!!

Add my son to the list of medical protocol that made him miss out on his meds and caused him serious problems.

I have been working with many systems the past 6 months. My observation is there is so much red tape involved in so many aspects of getting care and or service for something that I when I go to the phone now I bring a book. As part of my Christmas letter I shared a cartoon that says.

2 Left Lanes
    Closed for
    No Reason
    Whatsoever

Next 21 Miles

It was accompanied with BUMP BUMP and NOOOOOOO!

Seems to sum it up!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I didn't choose the hideous talking doll. They bought it in my name. :o She keeps saying - I LOVE YOU. PLAY WITH ME. Huge big eyes. Spooky! :sad:

My son had to take the au pair to Gatwick so she could catch her plane back to Spain. He had to go all round the tiny villages in a huge stream of traffic and lorries. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Lisa & Katla I realize everyone make mistakes. The reluctance to fix the mistake is puzzling. I experienced it & so did Lisa.

Exactly! Although for "puzzling," I would substitute "hair-tearing." There's not even acknowledgment that there WAS a mistake! There is no understanding on their part in any way that their treatment is inhumane and unsympathetic--and AT NO TIME during all that did I get an "I'm sorry you drove an hour and I didn't actually do my job, so it was all for nothing." Or "I'm sorry I misread your labs and said you hadn't been tested for more than a year when you were obviously tested in May." No apologies, no acknowledgment of error. I understand incompetence, I've trained people how not to be incompetent (and incidentally, how to apologize when they are wrong) for a very large part of my working life. What I don't understand is being treated like I'm an inconvenience because I'm asking them to do it right, when my health and well-being depends on their doing it right.

Gah.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    "Todo"s and "done"s
    Did Thursday: went to town twice (gas, post office, thrift store, Freddie’s, recycled, made list and dropped off pc. Had 3 glasses instead of 2, but was glad I didn’t want to have the fourth ;) Today Friday I will: go to T’ai Chi, get cards at Grocery Outlet and Post Office, return bulbs to Freddie’s, make crescent batter, finish the tree, walk/comb Tumble, wrap ornaments for Lois, reconcile checking account and Discover bill, pick up old pc before delivering ornaments to Los at line dancing and abstain from alcohol.

Typing this on Joe’s laptop as mine is in for prepping to migrate to a new-to-me one (~$400 vs ~$2K). The keyboard is a little different and “N” on this one doesn’t work very well… so pls forgive typos.

Heather hoping the seed you planted blossoms ;) What would you think of Bea for a partner :) “Hideous talking doll” [shudder] Hope the battery lasts through Christmas ;}
    Lisa stay strong and don’t let ANYTHING taint your sixteen days off. ❤
    Tina scary! Glad you got the ok to travel. “Good diving decisions”?
    Michele, if it were me, I’d be asking Vince to scale back next year instead of starting earlier… just sayin’ ;)
    Machka 💘 the pic of your garden, and how sunny and happy you look in your new profile pic.
    NYKaren yes I remember that scene and can picture Karen in VA demanding the rx for her partner in the same emphatic way.
    Kate will you to do some line dancing while you’re in Spain?
    Lanette we got a good drenching but are in a brief break before the onslaught. So far roads clear and power on, so all’s well. Love not having to go into town over flooded roads!
    Amber what’s a “PRT test”?
    Rita ((hugs))
    Shirley, brava for walking in sub zero temps. Brava!
    Annie well done!
    Lisa grr. At least is wasn’t 5pm before the holiday.
    Katla hope Alberta Spruce thrives in her new home, and that new Albertina doesn’t blow over in the wind
    Karen in VA could the reluctance to fix mistakes be unwillingness to acknowledge mistakes in our litiginous climate? Ah, I see Lisa figured that out already.
    Margaret “bought nephew a helmet with a siren” ROTFLMAO!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for December: get up and go outside EVERY day!
    daily: steps=5021,, vits=15.5 log=19 CI<CO=14 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble 5/10=8 mfp=19 AF=13 outside=8
    wkly: BBBorTC x2=5, rx=2 dance=2 pack walk=1.6
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= dog group email list= sew= play=
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: I agree with your comment. Some people will never admit to a mistake. It is a pride issue for them, and saving face is their primary goal. When I make a mistake, I try to fix it myself. When I can’t fix my mistake, I ask for help and/or apologize. Pride keeps some people from either asking for help or apologizing. :ohwell:

Lisa: I hear your frustration. No acknowledgement of making a mistake helps the guilty party pretend that nothing was wrong, and any inconvenience was certainly NOT their fault… There are people like that in every organization. We had the most frustrating experience with a long-ago church member. We left that church as did some others. There are also blamers who habitually blame someone else for their own errors. :grumble:

I’m still decorating for Christmas. Same story, part 2: Our new primary tree is in the garage waiting to be brought in. It is a living Dwarf Alberta Spruce tree like the one in the yard that is now too heavy for me to lift. DH could help lift the original tree in the past but not this year. The heavy pot we put the old tree in a few years ago worked very well to protect that tree from tipping over in the wind. It hasn’t blown over in the past year. The new tree is in a lightweight pot that I can manage and lift by myself. We can only keep it inside for 10 days or so at the most. Today or tomorrow it will come in the house. When it is time to take the new tree back outside, I’ll try to find a spot for it that is more protected from the wind so it can stay in its light weight pot and not blow over.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Heather I knew you had more common sense than us. Your story just reminded me of that hideous helmet.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    PRT- a physical readiness test must be passed by all personnel every so many months to stay in the Navy. If you don’t pass well a week of hell so many tries only to pass. Makes them all nervous! Good news is it goes by Male/Female y age so an older Woman isn’t expected to do as many as a young male who just left high school!

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 5-Physical Readiness Test (May 2019).pdf

Here’s all about it Daughter falls into the female then by her age. She’s short so they keep yelling doesn’t count...we’ll she can’t grow longer arms lol so the push-up she’s more likely to have chest (breasts) touch the floor y not go as high up as they think. So she hates that one. She’s excellent at curl ups tho - faster cause not far to go up y Down lol

Amber Tx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤗