Onslaught of New Gym Members

Replies

• jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    edited December 2019
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    zakga5wptlno.png

Thanks. My gym (a YWCA) doesn't have a clothing policy, or if they do, I don't know about it.
    Many of the regulars come in rotten-looking old tee shirts and shorts, but some wear expensive outfits.
    I own "the right clothes," designed for sweat/moisture etc., but prefer my $10 Walmart sweatpants.

I guess my attitude has always been it's none of my business what other people wear or do there, or how often they come or don't come. To me, my gym is a public place. Anybody who pays the fee has a 100% right to be there

In my opinon that’s 100% the right attitude. As long as they are not directly preventing me from accomplishing my goals they can wear whatever or do whatever.

I workout at a Y as well and ours has a dress code but it’s loosely enforced. Basically they want you to wear workout/gym style clothes and closed toe shoes, but they have an older group of guys that workout in khakis and jeans.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    zakga5wptlno.png

Wrong clothes? For real?

And poking fun of an obese woman for exercising?

I think I took this different from you. Yes it’s a little tongue in cheek, but did you read the bits in parentheses? To me it’s more a message to help someone to get over the intimidation factor of starting at the gym.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately IMO, if someone is waiting for a magic date to start exercising, watching their diet, etc., they are likely to fail. The condition(s) related to the planned changes didn't just pop up on Dec 31st. Waiting until 1/1 is just putting off what needs to be done and most likely will lead to less than optimum results.

What I find is that many people wait until after the holidays to make a doctors appointment. Then their doctor scares them into dieting and exercise. Here in Italy, we also have what we call "bathing suit readiness", so people hit the pool and gym to be ready for beach time in June.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    I belong to “Better Leisure” leisure centre and luckily my membership allows me gym, all classes and pool, but best of all I can use any BL gym in the country. And depending on what I want to do I with travel to a different town. One has great strength machines, but the other place s a much warmer pool and the other place nearby has youtube on its machines. So I probably look to some people that the fat old woman (with a spinal tumour and therefore doesnt hammer it hard) doesnt come very often. But I do, several times a week just not at the same place.

I went shopping in Decatholon today and hit the sales, I bet I looked like a post xmas noobie! But I wanted another pair hi vis tights, a hat with a pony tail hole, more Runderwear pants, a running kit for my son (wicking T, warmer long sleeve and jacket, tights and trainers), a different belt, ankle support (achilles feeling achey), I ended adding a pile of extra stuff to my technical gear and I spent only £100. Very happy.

I giess I am still a newbie though, 4 months in. When do I becone a regular gym bunny ??
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Ps I always without fail clean the gear down. And I havent noticed some people didnt appear to have realised this until theyve seen me do so. Usually its elderly folk who've come in for their cardiac rehab work. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    I hate the gym in January. I live in central London which has real estate prices worse than Manhattan, so having a home large enough for workout equipment is prohibitively expensive. I try to be generous to newbies but am thankful most of them are gone by mid February
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

I'd like to see those images with more realistic messages:
    Tell the obese not to worry what they look like -- they'll fit right in with the regulars who are still obese and load up on Starbucks pastry when they finish.
    Tell the woman in the jeans not to worry about her clothes -- she will never look as ridiculous as the 50-60 year old regular at my gym who curls and coifs her hair and always wears giant hoop earrings while she shows off her body (she looks like an aging streetwalker).

Wow.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    No problem with others at the gym, I just don’t like having to wait for equipment. It’s why I joined Anytime Fitness. I go very early. No people, and no waiting. Win/win for me.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    MPDean wrote: »
    Think of it as an exchange programme. Many "gym" types make their only visits to bars in December and the "bar" types make their only visits to gyms during January.

I will go and hit a bar instantly ...
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I’m kinda nervous for January at the gym... mostly because it’s a brand new gym that’s opening on January 1st, so there will be three big groups of people, and none of them will know what they’re doing, where the equipment is etc: the resolutioners, the regulars who just switched to a different gym, and other members of the same gym chain that just pop in to see what the new location is like. It’s going to be absolute mayhem, and I have to go in and be a culprit in that mess to get myself settled and learn where everything is.
  • witriplel
    witriplel Posts: 1 Member
    I’m not sure what type of exercise you do but I found if I moved my strength training to Tues/Thurs/Sat vs Mon/Wed/Fri that I had more access to equipment. Be flexible is key this time of year.

• jlhalley7835
    edited December 2019
    \/
  • jlhalley7835
    cqemznbxj8vl.jpeg

Last few days, calm before the storm
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Yes, that's why I bought all of the equipment I need to be able to work out at home alone

Me three......I realize that not everyone has the space for a power rack etc but I figure that I recovered my costs in about two years by not having to pay for membership etc.

Me four....my basement gym is all I need and outdoors when the weather is nice.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Yes, that's why I bought all of the equipment I need to be able to work out at home alone

Me three......I realize that not everyone has the space for a power rack etc but I figure that I recovered my costs in about two years by not having to pay for membership etc.

Me four....my basement gym is all I need and outdoors when the weather is nice.

Definitely a nice option for those with the space.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    I prefer going to the gym cos they have better showers than I've got ;)